Flying in parks - Pickerington, OH

Reaction score
I've been flying my P3A in local parks within Pickerington, OH. Although I've never seen any posting stating drones were not allowed nor have I ever been stopped by park personnel or local police, I decided to contact the Pickerington park department just to confirm. Below is an email I received earlier today confirming that the city currently does not have any drone restrictions in local parks. Those in Pickerington, OH feel free to fly your drone in local parks as long as you obey standard FAA rules / regulations, etc.
=============================================================================
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:07 AM
Subject: RE: Parks & Rec Contact Form

Robert,

At this time there are no rules stating that drones are prohibited from flying around parks.
If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Rebecca Medinger
Parks and Recreation Director
City of Pickerington
100 Lockville Road
Pickerington, Ohio 43147

Reactions: mikesmiley
I live near Pickerington Ponds Metro Park and they do have rules against flying on their property. The Park Ranger was more than polite and I informed him that I couldn't find a rule against it anywhere. He informed me that they haven't decided how or what to allow at the moment so they were told there are no drones allowed in any Metro Park until a policy is set in place.

I live near Pickerington Ponds Metro Park and they do have rules against flying on their property. The Park Ranger was more than polite and I informed him that I couldn't find a rule against it anywhere. He informed me that they haven't decided how or what to allow at the moment so they were told there are no drones allowed in any Metro Park until a policy is set in place.

main reason you never ask .. they make up the rules as they go..

they say they cant decide what to allow/disallow so thus... but no drones allowed.. any contradiction in that logic?

Reactions: mikesmiley
I've been flying my P3A in local parks within Pickerington, OH. Although I've never seen any posting stating drones were not allowed nor have I ever been stopped by park personnel or local police, I decided to contact the Pickerington park department just to confirm. Below is an email I received earlier today confirming that the city currently does not have any drone restrictions in local parks. Those in Pickerington, OH feel free to fly your drone in local parks as long as you obey standard FAA rules / regulations, etc.
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:07 AM
Subject: RE: Parks & Rec Contact Form

Robert,

At this time there are no rules stating that drones are prohibited from flying around parks.
If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Rebecca Medinger
Parks and Recreation Director
City of Pickerington
100 Lockville Road
Pickerington, Ohio 43147

If they had not thought about rules before...
They will NOW..

never ever ask,
just read and research,
if not forbidden expressly, by signs or postings, then just fly!

good luck and have fun flying!

On the subject of asking vs not, I was recently very surprised when I asked the City Manage of Camarillo California about their Local Drone Laws, Policies and Regulations.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2016 5:33 PM
To: City Manager Internet EMAIL Group
Subject: Local Drone Laws, Policies and Regulations (LPR)

Greetings,
The purpose of this email to request information on the City of Camarillo's LPR's that pertain to the use of Drones for business purposes.

I am in the process of establishing a business that would encompass making Realestate Videos, and one of my perspective clients has indicated that Camarillo is within her sales area. I am well informed on FAA regulation but of course I wouldn't want to operate in conflict with any local government.

Please note that I am presently only fact finding and I have no planned or requested locations to video at this time.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

The response:

Tim:

Thanks for reaching out. At this time, the City of Camarillo has no local ordinances regulating the use of drones in the city. However, our city has an airport, and you should contact the County Department of Airports for any concerns they may have.

While we haven't heard any complaints about the use of drones in Camarillo, the City Council may decide to regulate their use in the future as the use of drones increases.

Thanks again,

DAVE NORMAN, ICMA-CM
City Manager
City of Camarillo
601 Carmen Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010
(805) 388-5307

End of email.

From this event I would conclude; if your going to ask, go to the top. Then if approached by a LEO or other civil servant of the city your covered to the best of your ability.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

On the subject of asking vs not, I was recently very surprised when I asked the City Manage of Camarillo California about their Local Drone Laws, Policies and Regulations.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2016 5:33 PM
To: City Manager Internet EMAIL Group
Subject: Local Drone Laws, Policies and Regulations (LPR)

Greetings,
The purpose of this email to request information on the City of Camarillo's LPR's that pertain to the use of Drones for business purposes.

I am in the process of establishing a business that would encompass making Realestate Videos, and one of my perspective clients has indicated that Camarillo is within her sales area. I am well informed on FAA regulation but of course I wouldn't want to operate in conflict with any local government.

Please note that I am presently only fact finding and I have no planned or requested locations to video at this time.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

The response:

Tim:

Thanks for reaching out. At this time, the City of Camarillo has no local ordinances regulating the use of drones in the city. However, our city has an airport, and you should contact the County Department of Airports for any concerns they may have.

While we haven't heard any complaints about the use of drones in Camarillo, the City Council may decide to regulate their use in the future as the use of drones increases.

Thanks again,

DAVE NORMAN, ICMA-CM
City Manager
City of Camarillo
601 Carmen Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010
(805) 388-5307

End of email.

From this event I would conclude; if your going to ask, go to the top. Then if approached by a LEO or other civil servant of the city your covered to the best of your ability.

I BET within weeks this was a topic of discussion as to what they SHOULD do.....to regulate this growing problem....

been flying a couple years now and never ever had an issue just flying.
3 times spoke with LEO when flying or setting up and never anything but a fun discussion.

1st time -- I was sort of in a no go area --old industrial area.
I parked the drone about 100m up and had a great chat about our EDC 's and with him saying have fun...

2nd time I was on a service call at local town hall,
after mentioning drone to Police Chief, he made me (it wasn't hard) demo it for him and a few others---
like I needed a reason to fly..lol

3rd time I was getting ready to shoot some video for a wedding party we had in local park.
As I setup to fly, the park LEO said no drones etc.
I asked to see rules
he showed them to me--OLD from years back mainly about old style RC, but applicable..
I packed it up....
.we both agreed rather stupid rule ,
so what else could i do, I went and had a beer!

basically its all just being reasonable and respectful.

BUT I still say NEVER ask in advance

Honestly I don't disagree that sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, and in this case I was surprised they said it was fine. It is California after all, and hopefully I didn't give them something to think about. Time will tell I suppose.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31