Drones banned at Miami-Dade County Parks

Reaction score
Does anyone know the official stance on drones at Miami-Dade County Parks? According to their website's rules and regulations aircraft of any kind (except kites) are banned at all county parks but the word drone or UAV is not present.

I was flying at an open field at Key Biscayne where I usually go to and was told by a park maintenance employee that drones are banned at county parks and to put it away.

I've flown at this portion of Crandon Park a few times and this was the first time is was approached by someone. I was the only person at the park which is quite large and was operating well within FAA regulations.

Here's what's on the county parks regulations site:

Rule 12. Aircraft

(a)
No person operating, directing, or responsible for any airplane, helicopter, glider, balloon, dirigible, parachute or other aerial apparatus (excluding kites) will take off from or land in or on any park land or waterway, except when human life is endangered or written permission has been obtained from the Department Director. Take off from and landing in any natural resource area, and the environmentally sensitive Deering Estate at Cutler is specifically prohibited except when human life is endangered.

(b)
No person operating any aircraft shall do any stunt flying over or fly lower than one thousand (1,000) feet above the highest obstruction located in any park or recreation areas that are considered to be populated areas requiring compliance with Federal Aviation (FAA) Administration regulations regarding same.

(Ord. No. 59-14, Rules, Art. 6, § 1, 6-16-59)

Attached is a map of the location.

Attachments

• IMG_5361.jpg
    IMG_5361.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 723
Looks like a liberal interpretation of manned aircraft rules up until the mention of 'other aerial apparatus'. Contact their office and ask for clarification?

Does anyone know the official stance on drones at Miami-Dade County Parks? According to their website's rules and regulations aircraft of any kind (except kites) are banned at all county parks but the word drone or UAV is not present.

I was flying at an open field at Key Biscayne where I usually go to and was told by a park maintenance employee that drones are banned at county parks and to put it away.

I've flown at this portion of Crandon Park a few times and this was the first time is was approached by someone. I was the only person at the park which is quite large and was operating well within FAA regulations.

Rule 12. Aircraft

(a)
No person operating, directing, or responsible for any airplane, helicopter, glider, balloon, dirigible, parachute or other aerial apparatus (excluding kites) will take off from or land in or on any park land or waterway, except when human life is endangered or written permission has been obtained from the Department Director. Take off from and landing in any natural resource area, and the environmentally sensitive Deering Estate at Cutler is specifically prohibited except when human life is endangered.

(b)
No person operating any aircraft shall do any stunt flying over or fly lower than one thousand (1,000) feet above the highest obstruction located in any park or recreation areas that are considered to be populated areas requiring compliance with Federal Aviation (FAA) Administration regulations regarding same.

I think the first 5 lines tell you no you can not do that, you would have a hard time separating a hellicopter from a drone

Sent from my SM-N920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Seems clear to me. No take off or landing with any aerial apparatus. A drone is an aerial apparatus. Do you need to see the word drone, or UAV, specifically?

marry a ball breaker. Wife will kill me your honor if this $1000 weed wacker doesn't get used. So my life WAS in danger.

Reactions: BamaMania
Seems clear to me. No take off or landing with any aerial apparatus. A drone is an aerial apparatus. Do you need to see the word drone, or UAV, specifically?
you can hand launch and catch, so no need to take off or land on premises.

Can counties ban the use of drones in public land, in this case public parks? I though the FAA had the final word.

Can counties ban the use of drones in public land, in this case public parks? I though the FAA had the final word.
so the government wins in court you can bet the FAA would show the judge that they have no authority over private models just so the ban is upheld.
Then come back in the afternoon claiming jurisdiction again.
They only have the final word when it suites them. and you have the 9th circuit loons so no matter what the law says, you are screwed.

same rule as for national parks. they can and do control what happens on their land. you can fly over, just not take off and land there. So contact the director's office and ask for permission. since they mention it, they should be willing to at least consider a request.

> same rule as for national parks. they can and do control what happens on their land. you can fly over, just not take off and land there.
=====
Interesting! More flexible than I thought.
The being allowed to fly OVER nat. park after
take-off right next to nat. park -- absolutely certain?
Tamiami Trail US 41 cuts thru Everglades Nat. Park
but on maps it appears road + shoulder is NOT part
of park -- so drone can take-off from shoulder & not
be restricted to only flying directly over shoulder...?
It won't matter much IMC as I fly with 100ft range...

Same priciple for state & city parks -- take-off & land
right next to them but OK to fly a bit over them as long
as no groups of people underneath...?

And what about me, the operator?
Must I operate ONLY off parks or can I step on park
land once drone is aerial???!

Outside the park property, you're good. once you physically enter park property, they can dictate what you can or cannot do. Wording may say "take off and land", but if you are on their property, you would likely be fighting a losing battle.

Thanks for reply.
I can imagine park employees making
demands even if I am standing on edge
of park but flying 100ft within park.
Case by case is only way to handle it.
Apologize profusely after the fact & hopefully
after I've gotten aerial shots...

So you disagree with idea of handheld
take-offs & landings being a "within park" loophole???!
(am starting new thread about best glove for that)

Thinking about loopholes, well kites aren't banned, in fact there's an exclusion for them. You can get a pretty big kite for a nominal cost, I bought one big enough to carry a gopro, and maybe a light gimbal and its battery for 60 dollars. I used it take to pictures, like this - I'm the little dot to the left of everyone:
7cbc144a74ea39804e77f7cad481a2de.jpg

All national parks,
all FL state parks,
all FL wildlife preserves or similar,
many FL county parks,
no take off landings, handheld or not
& no flying over AFAICT;
if its those properties specifically that one
want to take aerials of, the "hack" is to
take off land & fly at any edge of those properties...

Rule 12. Aircraft

(a)

(b)

They covered their Butts! They cannot prohibit or enact any Air Space Laws, But what they can do and did do was Prohibit you from Landing or Taking off from inside any state park! If you take off outside of the Park! they cannot keep you from flying over it! their is Case Law on this Subject! and Federal Law Trumps (No Pun Intended) any and all State Laws.....Fly Safe my friend...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj