Flying in state parks in Ohio ???

I'm a newbie at quad flying n recently got a P3a. Also an ohio resident from columbus area. Can give me a few pointers as to which state parks I should head to for a nice long flight. I'm asking for nicest places and also tolerant of quad flying.

I would suggest that you call park officials before heading to parks you are considering. Huston woods state park is where I fly that they don't have extra restrictions. All it will take is someone being irresponsible though and that privilege will be gone. Also...if you get approval, make sure you get the person's name you spoke to in case a problem comes. I try to stay completely away from people so less likely they will report me with some tin foil hat conspiracy issues. Good luck welcome to the fun! Also...download "before you fly" app to make sure you're not flying "illegal". I'm a little over an hour south of columbus...hit me up in private conversation if you have any questions.

I would suggest that you call park officials before heading to parks you are considering. Huston woods state park is where I fly that they don't have extra restrictions. All it will take is someone being irresponsible though and that privilege will be gone. Also...if you get approval, make sure you get the person's name you spoke to in case a problem comes. I try to stay completely away from people so less likely they will report me with some tin foil hat conspiracy issues. Good luck welcome to the fun! Also...download "before you fly" app to make sure you're not flying "illegal". I'm a little over an hour south of columbus...hit me up in private conversation if you have any questions.

First off thank you very much for your prompt and encouraging response. I'll keep in mind all that you have said and try to act responsibly Hueston woods is almost 2 hours from where I live. However if you agree then let us plan a flight together any Sunday you are free. I'd love some pro tips from an experienced pilot.
I do have the b4ufly app which I learnt about from this forum. And I duly check every time I'm about to fly which I have only done from my backyard till now.
Thanks again and happy flying!

Reactions: Mfoster82
I am also a Columbus person. I had problems flying at Deer Creek SP by the dam, but no one approached us flying at the deserted beach. B4UFLY showed the area OK to fly. I have flown at the Rocky Fork metro park east of town in full view of a ranger several times. It is also OK on B4UFLY. I always fly within FAA regs. It seems it all depends on the ranger & how safe (or unsafe) you fly. I have been reading up on taking the FAA test. I think they need a test similar to what they did in boating & hunting. A course for the hobby/recreational user that is not as extensive but certifies that those out there flying understand the laws then come down hard on those guys flying at 15,000' or trying to look into neighbors' bedrooms or flying into crowds. I have flown in OH & FL. I try to educate those I encounter. I have only met one person- due to his previous bad experience- that dislikes drones after watching how I fly & tge cate I take in doing so. I believe this sport/hobby will be short lived until we weed out those folks flying illegally. We need a method other than the costly Remote Pilot test to demonstrate to park officials that we can enjoy the hobby without infringing on people's safety, privacy, nature's protection & airspace safety. It was a crock today that my drone was a threat to homeland security. My telemetry showed I was no where close to the structure or workings of the dam. There were only two other people there within 200 yards.

Getting ready to go on a campout with our Boy Scout troop next weekend at Madison Lake State Park and Deer Creek State Park the next weekend. Does anyone know if it's ok to fly my P3A in these state parks or any Ohio State Parks? I called the local state park office. The local ranger didn't exactly know if it was allow or not. He took my phone number and said he'd call me back once he checks with his office. Haven't received the call back yet.

No where on the Ohio State Park Website does it prohibit drones.

Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness then permission.

Greetings!

Thought I would chime in on this important question. Ohio State Parks operate under DNR which has the authority to enforce portions of the Ohio Administrative Code. The section of the OAC that can arguably apply to drones is:

1501:41-13-11 Aviation.
No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or from those lands or waters where maintained landing zones are located; or to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or at designated airfields. Any person landing or taking off from the waters of the division as permitted by this rule may use the waters of the division as necessary to taxi between such landing area and a service or docking area. "Voluntarily" as used in this rule shall mean anything other than a landing made in emergency conditions. Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/01/2015 and 09/01/2020

As you can see this rule is under a five year review status. Bottom line is that the manager/chief for the specific park can give permission or designate specific areas where drone use would be permissible. Without that permission, you cannot fly. The real bottom line has been that they rarely give permission. Fly cautiously, if at all.
Why add confusion to a discussion with off the topic stuff? Read what you posted. It is for a person going up, not an rc or drone!

I reached out to Ohio state parks on Facebook and was told they would ask a parks expert. While I did not get back a reply from the expert, my original contact sent back the following.

Nathan, I have not heard back yet, but from what I know, there are some parks that designate parking lots as "take off" areas, but it is best to call the park itself to find out where they prefer you to operate. As long as you follow FAA rules on drones, that has worked in our state parks.

Drones are not allowed in Georgia or Florida State parks. We recently made an 8,500 mile (round) trip to British Columbia from Georgia and I shot video every day for our YouTube channel and utilized the P3A whenever it was feasible. I always ask the Rangers I see at check in about flying the drone. I have only been given their permission 1 time out of dozens of attempts and that was in New Mexico at Sugarite Canyon State Park. They were apprehensive at first but allowed me to tell them of my FAA certification (recreational) which they were familiar with. I told them that I always fly by the FAA Guidelines which includes not flying around people, buildings and animals. They accepted that and told me that if I followed that, then I would be allowed to fly the P3A. I gave them one of the business cards that I have promoting my channel and they said that they looked forward to watching my videos.

On another topic .... B4UFly is only useful if you have cell service. Much of the open territory in some of the western states left me without that resource. I've seen the "Better to ask forgiveness, than ask permission" perspective and I find that true only if you're willing to pay the monetary cost to learn why it isn't that effective. I flew the P3A in Canada going by their guidelines. I launched from an RV Park on a lake after getting permission from the park owners.

Also feel I should mention that you most likely won't find any relevant information on the government web-sites (State Parks etc.) about flying drones but that does not in any way give you permission to do it. I did see more "No Drone" signage on this trip than I had before, such as the entrance to Pikes Peak as well as Yellowstone National Park. I believe that you can fly in National Forests as long as you use the FAA guidelines and fly responsibly. We camped at many National Forest Campgrounds along the way just because of this.

Getting ready to go on a campout with our Boy Scout troop next weekend at Madison Lake State Park and Deer Creek State Park the next weekend. Does anyone know if it's ok to fly my P3A in these state parks or any Ohio State Parks? I called the local state park office. The local ranger didn't exactly know if it was allow or not. He took my phone number and said he'd call me back once he checks with his office. Haven't received the call back yet.

I found this...
1501:46-13-11 Aviation.
(A) It shall be permissible to utilize any airplane, balloon, glider, parachute, or any other flying machine or aerial apparatus, to take off, ascend, land, alight, or otherwise come to rest upon lands administered by the division where designated airfields or maintained landing zones are located.

(B) Upon any waters administered by the division it shall be permissible to take off, ascend, land, alight, or otherwise come to rest, utilizing a sea class aircraft, such as any sea plane, glider, parachute, or any other flying machine or aerial apparatus, on any body of water meeting all of the following criteria:
(1) Designated as unlimited horsepower:

(2) Having no speed or wake restrictions that apply to the waterway as a whole, and:

(3) Having an established sea plane landing zone, Any person landing or taking off from the waters of the division as permitted by this rule may use the waters of the division as necessary to taxi between such landing area and a service or docking area.
Replaces: 1501:46-13-11

Statutory Authority: 1546.03
Rule Amplifies: 1546.01, 1546.03 , 1546.09
Prior Effective Dates: 6/14/75, 7/1/80

With all the talk of being a free country and the right to carry guns etc why has nobody challenged this totally unfair ruling on National parks? They are paid for by tax payers - yes drone flyers! Why is everyone taking it lying down?
Can you tell us where to put our 2 cents in? I am all for it. I see people with cameras all the time. My dji mavic 2 pro has so much computer crap in it that hitting anything would be something you tried to do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4