can i fly in miami dade county parks?

Reaction score
Hello guys. Recently, I went to Matheson Hammock park and Deering estate park in south of Miami. But I was informed that these parks are both restricted and I cannot even bring my drone in. They showed me the ordinances:
Rule 12. Aircraft

(a) No person operating, directing, or responsible for any airplane, helicopter, glider, balloon, dirigible, parachute or other aerial apparatus (excluding kites) will take off from or land in or on any park land or waterway, except when human life is endangered or written permission has been obtained from the Department Director. Take off from and landing in any natural resource area, and the environmentally sensitive Deering Estate at Cutler is specifically prohibited except when human life is endangered.

(b)No person operating any aircraft shall do any stunt flying over or fly lower than one thousand (1,000) feet above the highest obstruction located in any park or recreation areas that are considered to be populated areas requiring compliance with Federal Aviation (FAA) Administration regulations regarding same. (copied from miamidade.gov)

However, I believe this ordinance is only for the regular manned aircraft. Also I found there is a new ordinance about drones just passed.

On Dec. 10, the Miami City Commission passed Ordinance 13581 creating Chapter 37-12 of the Miami City Code titled "Public Safety and Unmanned Aircraft Systems Commonly Known as Drones."

This new law sets requirements and prohibitions "intended to promote public safety and protect people attending large venue public events." While Miami's constituents — this one included — welcome and commend the commission's efforts to ensure safe and accountable recreational drone use, concerns arise as to how local laws such as this may conflict with drone rules developing at the federal level. More on that below; first a look at the law in Miami.

Under the new ordinance, drones are restricted from flying over a "sporting or large venue special event" and may not be flown within a half-mile radius of Bayfront Park, Marlins Park, Miami Marine Stadium, the Calle Ocho Festival, public parks or other public facilities during big events.

In all other areas of the city, drones 5 pounds and under are permitted but may not be equipped with a detachable cargo, release payload or a weapon. Drones over 5 pounds may only be operated by a registered member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics pursuant to AMA rules. (copied from

http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/id=1202746857801/New-Miami-City-Drone-Ordinance-Here-to-Stay)

So, the new ordinance only restrict the drone flying in public park during the big event ( I assume like super bowl). which means I can fly as long as there is no big event holding in the park, am I right?

Can I really fly in miami dade county parks? Is it legal or illegal? Anyone has the similar experiences? Or any ideas about that?
Thank you guys.

Hello guys. Recently, I went to Matheson Hammock park and Deering estate park in south of Miami. But I was informed that these parks are both restricted and I cannot even bring my drone in. They showed me the ordinances:
Rule 12. Aircraft

(a) No person operating, directing, or responsible for any airplane, helicopter, glider, balloon, dirigible, parachute or other aerial apparatus (excluding kites) will take off from or land in or on any park land or waterway, except when human life is endangered or written permission has been obtained from the Department Director. Take off from and landing in any natural resource area, and the environmentally sensitive Deering Estate at Cutler is specifically prohibited except when human life is endangered.

(b)No person operating any aircraft shall do any stunt flying over or fly lower than one thousand (1,000) feet above the highest obstruction located in any park or recreation areas that are considered to be populated areas requiring compliance with Federal Aviation (FAA) Administration regulations regarding same. (copied from miamidade.gov)

However, I believe this ordinance is only for the regular manned aircraft. Also I found there is a new ordinance about drones just passed.

On Dec. 10, the Miami City Commission passed Ordinance 13581 creating Chapter 37-12 of the Miami City Code titled "Public Safety and Unmanned Aircraft Systems Commonly Known as Drones."

This new law sets requirements and prohibitions "intended to promote public safety and protect people attending large venue public events." While Miami's constituents — this one included — welcome and commend the commission's efforts to ensure safe and accountable recreational drone use, concerns arise as to how local laws such as this may conflict with drone rules developing at the federal level. More on that below; first a look at the law in Miami.

Under the new ordinance, drones are restricted from flying over a "sporting or large venue special event" and may not be flown within a half-mile radius of Bayfront Park, Marlins Park, Miami Marine Stadium, the Calle Ocho Festival, public parks or other public facilities during big events.

In all other areas of the city, drones 5 pounds and under are permitted but may not be equipped with a detachable cargo, release payload or a weapon. Drones over 5 pounds may only be operated by a registered member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics pursuant to AMA rules. (copied from

New Miami City Drone Ordinance Here to Stay)

So, the new ordinance only restrict the drone flying in public park during the big event ( I assume like super bowl). which means I can fly as long as there is no big event holding in the park, am I right?

Can I really fly in miami dade county parks? Is it legal or illegal? Anyone has the similar experiences? Or any ideas about that?
Thank you guys.
Yes you can and like it says, you can't when there are large events going on. I have flown in several parks with no problems, but I also know the rules as well. You can google areas to fly and you will see there are many drone friendly parks to fly in.

Yes you can and like it says, you can't when there are large events going on. I have flown in several parks with no problems, but I also know the rules as well. You can google areas to fly and you will see there are many drone friendly parks to fly in.
Thanks man! Can you also recommend some parks are good to fly?

Thanks man! Can you also recommend some parks are good to fly?
You can search for them here.
http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/rules-regulations-more.asp
This link contains the rules and regulations for dade county parks. Please pay attention to the 26-1 Rule 12(a) Operating an aerial apparatus on park property w/out authorization. Always go to the Parks Office and ask for permission. I have had better positive results during the work week due to fewer people in the parks. Heck, I have had Dade County Police and the park ranger sit and watch me fly with out incident.
Just be sure to always ask.

Reactions: kennedye
You can search for them here.
http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/rules-regulations-more.asp
This link contains the rules and regulations for dade county parks. Please pay attention to the 26-1 Rule 12(a) Operating an aerial apparatus on park property w/out authorization. Always go to the Parks Office and ask for permission. I have had better positive results during the work week due to fewer people in the parks. Heck, I have had Dade County Police and the park ranger sit and watch me fly with out incident.
Just be sure to always ask.
I appreciate for your reply. I can see how much efforts you have made for a safe fly. Good to hear that! I wish we will have more freedom and better understanding from the government to protect both the drone operators and the whole environment.

Reactions: Drone Master

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers