Flying in state parks in Ohio ???

Reaction score
Getting ready to go on a campout with our Boy Scout troop next weekend at Madison Lake State Park and Deer Creek State Park the next weekend. Does anyone know if it's ok to fly my P3A in these state parks or any Ohio State Parks? I called the local state park office. The local ranger didn't exactly know if it was allow or not. He took my phone number and said he'd call me back once he checks with his office. Haven't received the call back yet.

then just go for it until they tell you no

Reactions: JGuff330
make sure to check noob will give bad advice some state parks are off limit

I have seen people flying at Alum Creek State Park. Not sure if it's legal but they were doing it lol

Reactions: flpholt
The FAA has a "pretty good" free app called B4UFly. Let's you know what's going on where you are or where you plan to be.

I got stopped by a ranger in Ross county ohio at a state park. He was cool, and had some ideas on the registration rules. All he didi was make sure that I had the # on my Inspire and P3 and told me to have a good day....

Reactions: Omokjoe
Getting ready to go on a campout with our Boy Scout troop next weekend at Madison Lake State Park and Deer Creek State Park the next weekend. Does anyone know if it's ok to fly my P3A in these state parks or any Ohio State Parks? I called the local state park office. The local ranger didn't exactly know if it was allow or not. He took my phone number and said he'd call me back once he checks with his office. Haven't received the call back yet.
Ranger at Deer creek was cool back in December, but of course there was no one there but me..

I'm pretty sure It's illegal to take off or land in state parks. However, if the ranger gives you a thumbs up then go lol!

I live near the Cuyahoga National Park and I know flying there is a no go. But I think you are ok in the State Parks in Ohio. Probably depends which ranger comes upon you and his personal opinion on the rules though...

state parks usually no issue. I live in NH, and have not had any issue up here . but National parks I think are a no go...

I have not seen anything about ohio parks offlimits
some locals have old rc type rules that do apply.

I would fly unless asked not to.

don't ask , as then a decision MUST be made by someone,
and it may be incorrect... but safe! for that person.

just stay away from folks not with your group etc.

good luck and have fun flying!

Greetings!

Thought I would chime in on this important question. Ohio State Parks operate under DNR which has the authority to enforce portions of the Ohio Administrative Code. The section of the OAC that can arguably apply to drones is:

1501:41-13-11 Aviation.
No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or from those lands or waters where maintained landing zones are located; or to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or at designated airfields. Any person landing or taking off from the waters of the division as permitted by this rule may use the waters of the division as necessary to taxi between such landing area and a service or docking area. "Voluntarily" as used in this rule shall mean anything other than a landing made in emergency conditions. Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/01/2015 and 09/01/2020

As you can see this rule is under a five year review status. Bottom line is that the manager/chief for the specific park can give permission or designate specific areas where drone use would be permissible. Without that permission, you cannot fly. The real bottom line has been that they rarely give permission. Fly cautiously, if at all.

With all the talk of being a free country and the right to carry guns etc why has nobody challenged this totally unfair ruling on National parks? They are paid for by tax payers - yes drone flyers! Why is everyone taking it lying down?

Reactions: bLaStErAiD
With all the talk of being a free country and the right to carry guns etc why has nobody challenged this totally unfair ruling on National parks? They are paid for by tax payers - yes drone flyers! Why is everyone taking it lying down?

I'm with you Wibble, I live in CA and we have really beautiful national parks that I would love to fly and record spectacular sceneries but haven't yet for these reasons

I'm with you Wibble, I live in CA and we have really beautiful national parks that I would love to fly and record spectacular sceneries but haven't yet for these reasons

Surely a few million acres in the middle of nowhere has to be safer than built up areas?
Someone should start a petition or something. We have online petitions in the UK that if they get a certain number of votes means that the matter must be discussed in Parliament.

Reactions: Phil H
What ticks me off the most about the National Parks as a "no fly zone" is that if I'm a hiker/climber I can drive spikes into walls of rocks, etc. and climb all over the landscape while enjoying the national parks, but I can't fly around and film the scenery?

Was kicked off Presque Isle in Erie PA. Some older man freaked out call the Rangers, I think the law was made up,as they went. Oh Im 67, I have a right to call him old man.

I live in ohio and have flown multiple state parks none of which ever having any issues. Park Rangers have often watched and asked questions being curious of abilites. One asked me to fly to check on small nature preserve area so i cant see the problem they would have unless wreckless or endangering wildlife.

Sent from my SM-N920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I live in ohio and have flown multiple state parks none of which ever having any issues. Park Rangers have often watched and asked questions being curious of abilites. One asked me to fly to check on small nature preserve area so i cant see the problem they would have unless wreckless or endangering wildlife.

Sent from my SM-N920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm a newbie at quad flying n recently got a P3a. Also an ohio resident from columbus area. Can give me a few pointers as to which state parks I should head to for a nice long flight. I'm asking for nicest places and also tolerant of quad flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl