Flying in a Stadium TFR

Reaction score
I have a request, by a major university, to fly near their football stadium on a game day.

The property I would fly from is is within the bounds of a gameday TFR. It is also private, and completely fenced off from the public. Plans would be to stay within the bounds of the property, so no public safety issues would exist. Four university departments have signed off on this, and I would have university police presence and monitoring

My question is, does anyone have any expertise in applying for a TFR exemption/authorization that could help me out ,or point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Is it NCAA Division I football? The 3 mile FAA restriction applies to Division I only.

I see the TFR for this 100k seat Division 1 stadium every week. My question was not on whether the TFR exists, but how to fly into it, while keeping the FAA happy

Reactions: cfd701
Have I stumped the entirety of all of the Phantom Pilots world, with looking for someone that has gotten a TFR waiver?

Have you contacted your local FSDO (Ops Desk) with regards to this TFR and your authorization to fly by the university? I've been somewhat involved in setting up a TFR for an airshow but never heard of a TFR waiver for sUAV operations of this type (not to say that CNN might be doing this as we speak). The FSDO where this TFR exist might walk you through the waiver process, if available.

Last edited:
Have you contacted your local FSDO (Ops Desk) with regards to this TFR and your authorization to fly by the university? I've been somewhat involved in setting up a TFR for an airshow but never heard of a TFR waiver for sUAV operations of this type (not to say that CNN might be doing this as we speak). The FSDO where this TFR exist might walk you through the waiver process, if available.

I have been on the phone with my FSDO. I explain what I am looking for. They say, I know the person you need to talk to, and transfer me. I explain what I am looking for. They say, I know just the person you need to talk to, and transfer me. That repeats like groundhog day, until I get a voicemail. I leave a message. Of course they never call back. But I have their name. I call the next day and it's groundhog day all over again

I have been on the phone with my FSDO. I explain what I am looking for. They say, I know the person you need to talk to, and transfer me. I explain what I am looking for. They say, I know just the person you need to talk to, and transfer me. That repeats like groundhog day, until I get a voicemail. I leave a message. Of course they never call back. But I have their name. I call the next day and it's groundhog day all over again
Welcome to the world of the FAA, I've been dealing with them for 40 years.

I would try to get an appointment with an Ops supervisor providing you can talk to a living person. Many times I have gone to my FSDO in person to get something done, but the again I am dealing with mainly maintenance inspectors, they seem a little more accessible.

Reactions: BigAl07
You don't get a "Waiver" to fly in a TFR. You have to contact the originator of the TFR (in this case unfortunately it's the FAA) and work through the requirements they set forth for you to operate inside it.

Waivers are there to operate outside of existing Part 107 regulations. Flying in a TFR isn't Part 107 but much bigger.

Be warned it's usually not worth the efforts. The time you spend (and have already spent) usually makes it less than profitable to do this type of endeavor in the "Trying to make $$" world.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
You don't get a "Waiver" to fly in a TFR. You have to contact the originator of the TFR (in this case unfortunately it's the FAA) and work through the requirements they set forth for you to operate inside it.

Waivers are there to operate outside of existing Part 107 regulations. Flying in a TFR isn't Part 107 but much bigger.

Be warned it's usually not worth the efforts. The time you spend (and have already spent) usually makes it less than profitable to do this type of endeavor in the "Trying to make $$" world.
I fly regular and often for this University. I have made large piles of money all ready. No need to worry about my time. It is not waisted

NOT getting a waiver to fly in a TFR is outside of any info that I have found. Where do you come by your info? Can you post a faa link to confirm.

Here are the Part 107 Waivers "available" (may not not be granted):

• Flying at night (§ 107.29)
  • Flying directly over a person or people (§ 107.39)
  • Flying from a moving vehicle or aircraft, not in a sparsely populated area (§ 107.25)
  • Flying multiple aircraft with only one pilot (§ 107.35)
  • Flying beyond the pilot's visual line-of-sight (§ 107.31)
  • Flying above 400 feet (§ 107.51B)
  • Flying near airports / in controlled airspace (§ 107.41)

This information is directly from the FAA "Request a Part 107 Waiver" website or also at "Part 107 Beyond the Basics"

Most published data on TFR's will give definite boundries, dates and times and altitude restrictions. In addition, they will list the controlling agency with contact name and phone. You must contact them to initiate the waver process or get permission.

By the way, the FAA motto is "we are not happy until you are not happy"

Reactions: BigAl07 and FLYBOYJ
I'm an FAA safety counselor, I asked one of the folks I deal with at my local FSDO about getting a TFR waiver to fly a drone. His first response was "WHAT"? Then he chuckled a bit. He did mention there was no real instrument to get a sUAV waiver to fly in TFR, at least in this region.

Here are the Part 107 Waivers "available" (may not not be granted):

• Flying at night (§ 107.29)
  • Flying directly over a person or people (§ 107.39)
  • Flying from a moving vehicle or aircraft, not in a sparsely populated area (§ 107.25)
  • Flying multiple aircraft with only one pilot (§ 107.35)
  • Flying beyond the pilot's visual line-of-sight (§ 107.31)
  • Flying above 400 feet (§ 107.51B)
  • Flying near airports / in controlled airspace (§ 107.41)

This information is directly from the FAA "Request a Part 107 Waiver" website or also at "Part 107 Beyond the Basics"
Been there, read that, TFR is obviously missing. But in the end, our little birds are still considered aircraft by the FAA. Read my next comment.

Last edited:
I'm an FAA safety counselor, I asked one of the folks I deal with at my local FSDO about getting a TFR waiver to fly a drone. His first response was "WHAT"? Then he chuckled a bit. He did mention there was no real instrument to get a sUAV waiver to fly in TFR, at least in this region.
Ok, I am partially with you as I can find zero info, and my FSDO has even less to say than you describe. As an FAA safety councilor, how do full sized manned flights get FAA approval to fly in a stadium TFR? What does the Goodyear blimp do? What does the helicopter cam do? What does the Ranger parachute team do? What does the guy pulling the banner behind his Cesna do? I'll go that route

He did mention there was no real instrument to get a sUAV waiver to fly in TFR, at least in this region.
This ^^^^^^^^

Been there, read that, TFR is obviously missing. But in the end, our little birds are still considered aircraft by the FAA. Read my next comment.
TFR isn't missing because it's not as simple as getting a waiver. The WAIVER comes from the entity (ATC/FAA) who are in charge of Airspace and NAS safety and such. A TFR can be "established" from many other entities (Forest service, NFL, NASCAR, DHS, ....) so this is why there is not a portal or "Easy Button" to be able to fly in a TFR. Way too many variables to have an Easy Button.

While it's not easy it CAN be done. I've seen several UAS operations jump through the hoops and get to fly within a TFR for things like an Airshow and such. It can be done but that doesn't mean the agency who requested the TFR is going to allow any UAS operations. They can deny you and if they do you really have no recourse other than to not fly if they deny.

Most published data on TFR's will give definite boundries, dates and times and altitude restrictions. In addition, they will list the controlling agency with contact name and phone. You must contact them to initiate the waver process or get permission.

See the portion in RED above ^^^^^^

To get permission to fly within a TFR you go to the Controlling Agency/Company/Department and initiate the request through them. They are the ones who can "Allow" you to operate within their TFR. You have to go to the source of the TFR request in the first place and they will tell you what they require to allow you to operate within their TFR.

For instance: We fly Search & Rescue and the local Incident Management Team (IMT) here locally for the county/region. Last year we had a wild fire break out in our area and when the Forest Service came on scene they requested and had the FAA establish a TFR for the area affected. Any entity/person not directly working with the Forest Service could not fly in the TFR without explicit approval via the Forest Service. Our IMT was assigned to this incident and as such we were allowed to fly within the TFR (although DJI did not make it easy). Others in the area who desired to fly over the incident were not allowed and if they had ignored it they could have faced large fines and penalties. This included news agencies, hobbyists, and other commercial UAS operations. We didn't go to the FAA we went to the Incident Commander. We presented our credentials, our required operations (to justify the flight), and then presented our manuals as such for review. It took about 2 hours (it helped we were with a Govt agency) and from that point on we just had to coordinate with the Incident Commander and the Air Boss. They mandated when, where, how far/high we could fly very precisely.

The other "operations" you mentioned that fly within the TFR jump through all the same hoops we have to in order to fly within a TFR. I imagine some are very simple and require nothing more than some signatures etc while others can take months to prepare, review, revise, and finally get approved/denied. One difference (I think) is that if there is a TFR in place and there is IFR traffic that is actively being controlled by ATC they "can" be approved fairly easily to traverse the TFR but within very strict conditions. I just vaguely remember reading something about this in a publication or something recently and it does not pertain to UAS or anything we might do with our UAS what so ever.

Ok, I am partially with you as I can find zero info, and my FSDO has even less to say than you describe. As an FAA safety councilor, how do full sized manned flights get FAA approval to fly in a stadium TFR? What does the Goodyear blimp do? What does the helicopter cam do? What does the Ranger parachute team do? What does the guy pulling the banner behind his Cesna do? I'll go that route

Usually waivers like that are done months prior to the event and are coordinated with the event holder and the FAA.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/airshow/tfr/media/Airshow_TFR.pdf

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl