Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Sorry it's so long.. It's start to end, no edit.
Had to go back to my trusty I Pad Mini 2 for this test. ( I hate Apple )
I love my K1 and it's screen record but have had a few Go App freeze up's. Nothing major, just a restart but didn't want to throw that variable in.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Not as far out as you would think, as far as numbers go. But standing there and looking at the number of tree's close to the antenna's, i'm happy with what i have for where it's at.

Jonny,

The TX Injector had all three lights on, The RX Injector only lights the RX and Power lights. It will flash the TX light if i crank up the TX Watts on the TX amp. Must be what IBV calls cross talk.
I didn't look on the amps yet.

Last edited:
Was setting up mobile antennas on car roof for a quick fly before work. Felt resistance from one amp as I was pulling it out of back seat to place on the roof.... SNAP. The SMA to N adapter broke in half. I gotta figure out way to reinforce the antenna to amp connection. Good thing I had bought backups eh Johnny?
20170201_053016.jpg

Reactions: JohnnyB
Was setting up mobile antennas on car roof for a quick fly before work. Felt resistance from one amp as I was pulling it out of back seat to place on the roof.... SNAP. The SMA to N adapter broke in half. I gotta figure out way to reinforce the antenna to amp connection. Good thing I had bought backups eh Johnny?View attachment 75017
Ordered 2 of those.. came in yesterday. Just ordered 2 more. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I'll note what lights are on, off or flashing while i have it fired up today.
It snowed last night, don't tell IBV, there is snow on my amps....lol :)
I'll go blow it off with my bird...lol... poof...dam... amp was turned up to high...:eek:

I really don't have a good spot for a home station. I'm surrounded by giant pine trees. My Antenna's are 75' from a 100' tall, 2ft around pine tree... Bastards....lol.. My RF Linx will blow right threw the house but are no match for a giant tree :( Need a bigger Turbo!! ;)

Turbo
You're fun!☺ the rf-linx are sealed inside so no worries... As long as you follow there instruction with the connectors down. Covered mine because I use connectors up and a N-male antenna directly screwed on. 30m high trees is difficult. However, if money is not a problem you can spend a 1000.- for a light weight telescopic mast with 22m on the side of your roof top..
However, you would need lmr600 type or another low power amp as line driver... Complex and expensive but it works.. Cheers!

Reactions: JohnnyB
I think it will work quite well. If permanently mounted outside might consider treating connectors with dielectric grease.

Sealing the connectors isn't about corrosion (mostly), it's about keeping water out of the cables. Moisture dampens the signal something fierce.

Coax cable attenuation with time
It is found that the attenuation of coax cables increases over a period of time for a number of reasons. The main reasons are as a result of flexing, and moisture entry into the RF cable. As the degradation and increase in loss depends to some degree on the construction of the coax cable, this may affect he choice of which cable to employ.

Although many coax cables are flexible, the level of loss or attenuation will increase, particularly if the RF cable is bent sharply, even if within the makers recommended bend radius. This increase in loss can arise as a result of disruption to the braid or screen, and as a result of changes to the dielectric. At frequencies of 1 GHz with RF cables normally exhibiting a loss of 10 dB, there could be an increase of a decibel or so.

Even if a cable is not flexed, there can be a gradual degradation in performance over time. This can be caused by contamination of the braid by the plastictisers in the outer sheath. Additionally moisture penetration can affect both the braid where it causes corrosion, and it may enter the dielectric where the moisture will tend to absorb power.

It is found that the loss in coax cables that use either bare copper braid, or tinned copper braid exhibit more degradation than those with silver plated braids, although the later are more expensive. Additionally it is found that braids using tinned copper exhibit about 20% greater loss than those using bare copper, but they are more stable over time.

The dielectric also has an effect. It is found that some versions of polyethene can absorb moisture more readily than other types. Although foam polyethene offers a lower level of loss or attenuation when new, it absorbs moisture more readily than the solid types. Accordingly coax cables with solid dielectric polyethene are more suited to environments where the level of loss needs to remain constant, or where moisture may be encountered.

Although RF cables are enclosed in a plastic sheath, many of the plastics used will allow some moisture to pass through them. For applications where moisture may be encountered, specialized cables should be used otherwise the performance will degrade.

The loss introduced by a coax cable is of paramount importance. Any power that is lost in the RF cable will degrade the performance of the system in which it is used. However the decision of which RF cable to use may not just rest in deciding which cable provides the lowest loss, but in a variety of parameters including its size, weight and also its long term stability

By Ian Poole

You're fun!☺ the rf-linx are sealed inside so no worries... As long as you follow there instruction with the connectors down. Covered mine because I use connectors up and a N-male antenna directly screwed on. 30m high trees is difficult. However, if money is not a problem you can spend a 1000.- for a light weight telescopic mast with 22m on the side of your roof top..
However, you would need lmr600 type or another low power amp as line driver... Complex and expensive but it works.. Cheers!

Think i'll just run what i have. I would have to get them way up there to make much difference. That will keep me content until summer. RF-Linx pontoon :)
I can go to some awesome launch spots. will be great this year as i wont have to stand and point and tilt to see the screen...

Oh yah,
Picked up an HDMI cable for the K1 today, flew a full battery this afternoon on the big screen. No Problems, Even had the screen record running.

Think i'll just run what i have. I would have to get them way up there to make much difference. That will keep me content until summer. RF-Linx pontoon :)
I can go to some awesome launch spots. will be great this year as i wont have to stand and point and tilt to see the screen...

Oh yah,
Picked up an HDMI cable for the K1 today, flew a full battery this afternoon on the big screen. No Problems, Even had the screen record running.
Oh geesh... Now I gotta get a pontoon :0

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Turbomania
These L coms were bigger and heavier than I anticipated. Ordered 100lb holding 3" round magnets needed to support aluminum bracket, amp and antennae. N male / N male connector for antennae to amp, RPSMA to N male to connect amp to cable routed into truck. External power hack completed for amps. Power supply will be 110v to 12vdc 6amp with noise filter plugged into car inverter and routed to amps, plugged into pigtail with JR connector. Easy disconnect and relocate for all components, LMR 400 cables will stay with vehicle.
IMG_0165.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 365
These L coms were bigger and heavier than I anticipated. Ordered 100lb holding 3" round magnets needed to support aluminum bracket, amp and antennae. N male / N male connector for antennae to amp, RPSMA to N male to connect amp to cable routed into truck. External power hack completed for amps. Power supply will be 110v to 12vdc 6amp with noise filter plugged into car inverter and routed to amps, plugged into pigtail with JR connector. Easy disconnect and relocate for all components, LMR 400 cables will stay with vehicle. View attachment 75162
Nice!! Let us know how it work's out...

Turbo

First test flight this morning, unfortunately a lot of fog so could only go out to just under 10000' away at 250' elevation over some farm land before losing video feed. Surprised by the amount of moisture on the camera/gimbal and bird when I brought it home! I will wait for better conditions before I rush to judgement. Still, very nice to sit in the car drinking coffee with my cinemizers on and this is farthest that I have been able to go with the P3A. Obstacle penetration seems very good and that's what I want it for, not distance. Made my buddy stand outside and spot for me, he was not so happy since it was a 18min flight! He's used to controlling the camera/gimbal on the inspire.:laughing:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3