Flying at night a good idea?

its a great idea :)

No crap, 77 year old dudes picking on the OP, you and your blind anger give my grandfather a bad name.

I say do whatever you want because it's legal, and be safe. It is possible to fly safe at night!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Love it lol. Here's a night time shot

/flamesuiton

image.jpeg

Unfortunately the OP already has form for doing "whatever you want" which judging from his photos includes flying his drone in the Central London River Thames Heli Lane - I wonder if he will be happy to take responsibility when he brings a Helicopter down !

Droning in the UK already has a very poor public perception and the irresponsible actions of people like the OP only make this worse - what's his next trick going to be - night flying around Heathrow perhaps ?

As a professional drone pilot (night and day qualified) I'm not allowed to go fly pretty much anywhere in London, as I'd be breaking all sorts of rules. Worse still for me, the actions by the clown on this thread, and he is a clown, may just cause an accident we don't want to see! I am a full time professional helicopter pilot often flying into Battersea. I will make it my mission now to have this guy investigated by the police, and my contacts at the CAA will make sure he's prosecuted for his dangerous actions. There is no cure for stupid, unfortunately.

Yeah I may not always agree with PJ but jeesus, cmon, all those other dudes flying at night, posting pics and videos, and HE gets smashed! I call BS! If your flying at night but safely, how is that worse then some guy going out 2.5 miles? Relax ppl

Reactions: Patrick
I can't wait until the .gov makes drones legal/available to news stations. You know they all want one. Then due to the climate of fear that the media created idiots will shoot them down left and right. Sweet sweet karma and justice. :D

haha, totally agree, the local news station got an inspire and i don't see them advertising it for some reason? its like oh crap have to tone down the rhetoric and fear mongering first.

Yeah I may not always agree with PJ but jeesus, cmon, all those other dudes flying at night, posting pics and videos, and HE gets smashed! I call BS! If your flying at night but safely, how is that worse then some guy going out 2.5 miles? Relax ppl

if you know your environment and flying LOS, night flying is easier due to the LEDs being more visible. a white aircraft in the sun doesn't show up the best. FPV flying not so great at night.

Reactions: Sim597
As a professional drone pilot (night and day qualified) I'm not allowed to go fly pretty much anywhere in London, as I'd be breaking all sorts of rules. Worse still for me, the actions by the clown on this thread, and he is a clown, may just cause an accident we don't want to see! I am a full time professional helicopter pilot often flying into Battersea. I will make it my mission now to have this guy investigated by the police, and my contacts at the CAA will make sure he's prosecuted for his dangerous actions. There is no cure for stupid, unfortunately.

i agree with safety first, but playing devil's advocate and being pragmatic about it , id like to see some testing done to demonstrate / prove / disprove, I've spoken to a few pilots about the real dangers and they are not too worried about a collision with a phantom. are people being paranoid? is there a real danger besides terrorism?

Our local news station just got one up and running last week as well. It's an inspire! National news has been using one as their main interview camera on big location stories for months now.

Flying at night is not fun for me unless I fly in a very well lit area
However I see my drone much better at night , and I fly high enough day or night to avoid any possible object , possibility of colliding with a helicopter God forbid is not higher in night than in day as long as you are vigilant to the sky while you are flying , crying about the possibility that they will impose tougher regulation should not prevent us from enjoying responsibly what we can now, if the government will impose new laws ,
Trying to blame your fellow drone pilot for it is just waste of time .

Reactions: snowghost
One good thing about flying at night (as long as you know the area well, and remember where those cellular towers and big electric poles are) that flying at a soft pace, the sound will be minimum, many people would not even notice it, and you can have a quite long neighborhood look without much of a hassle.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Some people do nothing but whinge and whine about anything and tbh seam to be so far up there own backsides, The FAA law states nothing about flying at night in the uk, both my P4 and typhoon have good enough lighting that they can be see easily at night. I love flying at night I find it relaxing and get some great images. To the pompous know it all trolls here ...... wind you necks in and get a life.

upload_2016-12-14_17-21-18.png

upload_2016-12-14_17-26-21.png

Flying at night certainly isn't illegal in the US (under Part 101), just kind of impractical. The bulk of the night-flying that I do is Litchi missions that I've already flown in the daylight. I do that to get a different perspective, inter-cutting the night videos into the day videos, or for creating pseudo-time lapse videos.

I agree with the poster that mentioned that it's pretty easy to follow a Phantom at night with its standard lighting.

I haven't tried it myself, but I doubt the built-in lights on the Phantom/Inspire (to say nothing of the Mavic) are good enough to meet the three-mile rule. I picked up a strobing bike light from REI that I'm going to try out one night, if it ever gets above zero again.

I also have one of these now, but I need to research how to wire it up.

Well did you turn him into the police like you said you were going to DroneWorx? Bet you feel so much better now!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj