How to get better

Reaction score
When I started flying our drone almost a year ago, I was initially most focused on learning how to fly it and not crash. With the superb P4P+, it didn’t take long. I watched several good YouTube videos for both getting started and specifics such as “point of interest”.

I already knew a lot about stills photography, which helped with basics such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure, and composition (rule of thirds etc). I’d also made several documentary films back in the days before digital, including occasionally working from a light aircraft or helicopter. But there were nevertheless things to work out regarding settings.

Everyone goes through more or less the same learning curve as above, getting to grips with all of the settings and controls. It has to be done. But there are more important considerations that frequently get ignored to a greater or lesser degree.

One year on, having looked at many YouTube drone videos and ones posted on forums like this, two areas stand out to me as needing major improvement or progress.

The first one is content. Coming up with great lyrics or music for a song isn’t easy, even for the very best singer-songwriters. The same with a plot or on-going storyline for a film or TV series. It takes a huge amount of effort to get it right. Anyone who liked the groundbreaking TV series “24” will likely know a bit of what went on behind the scenes before anyone called “action”. Most people will have heard the expression “Content is king” - which is true. If you’re flying to race a drone, great. But if you’re flying to use the onboard camera, first work out a great idea to put it to best use.

Getting a good quality drone and learning to fly it is the easy part. Thinking how to put it to work - whether for pleasure or professional work - is harder. Figuring out the right questions to ask yourself is often more difficult than working out the answers. Many just don’t bother, out of mental laziness or mediocrity.

The second thing is editing your footage. This crucial exercise is mostly done on a professional level by someone who is detached from the already-obtained footage (or stills, words, other content). Editing yourself requires being tough on yourself. Select only the very best footage - and if it isn’t good enough then get out and re-shoot. Don’t repeat, or overly repeat, the same thing over and over again. Independent viewers, who weren’t there at the time and don’t have the same investment in the project as yourself, will likely just switch off. Remember that “less is more”. Leave almost all of your footage on the proverbial cutting room floor. It won’t be good enough or it will be merely repetitive takes from slightly different angles. Be ruthless. Use short edits of approximately five seconds to keep your film flowing.

Watch mainstream films and TV programmes to see how it’s done. Learn from the best. Aim high. Don’t join the club of yet another boring holiday video made by a friend that must be watched/endured with gritted teeth and stifled yawns.

A few hours ago, Elon Musk (SpaceX) introduced the first private commercial passenger to hopefully fly around the Moon in 2023 or soon after in the BFR/BFS. The Japanese entrepreneur will be taking six to eight “artists” with him - a musician, film director, painter, and so on - in the hope that they’ll return to Earth inspired by what they’ve witnessed/seen on the flight. Technologically speaking, we’ve got our own mini space ships in the form of a Phantom or Mavic drone. But we need to be better at unleashing the inspiration and execution of this current here-and-now potential that not long ago was beyond our grasp.

Last edited:
Reactions: higherperspective
I guess it all depends on where you are coming at it, your previous experience and the job you are conducting and what the goals are.
I strongly recommend formal training in a hands on class. I benefited by having taken a 3 day class which was a mix of class room and actual sUAV flying taught by an experienced GA pilot who also ran his own UAV industrial inspection business. The first time I ever operated a sUAV was day 2 of the class when we practiced with his Inspire. I also spent a half day sitting in front of a big screen flying computer simulated missions. By the end of the day I was inspecting the heck out of the lights and scoreboards at the simulated football stadium and had a good hang of the controls.
I passed each of the 4 practice exams taken during the class and had no problem passing the Pt 107 test later the next week.
My job was going to have me flying a Phantom 4 Pro so I spent much of my time practicing with a Phantom 3 Standard just to get smooth and used to the way it handles.
As for all of the other stuff you mentioned such as shutter, exposure, editing, music, etc.... Not really applicable to anything I'm doing. I'm conducting Security Patrols 99% of the time. Flying over properties looking down on wooded areas to see if the homeless guys we ran off last week have returned and set up their tents and tarps again. Flying over walking trails where thieves and drug users try to hang out. Flying around parking areas and buildings looking for people trying to break into vehicles and diving in dumpsters. Anything seen out of the ordinary gets an officer responding to handle the situation.
None of the footage is left on the "cutting room floor". All flights are recorded from start to stop and footage is saved to a hard drive for review later as needed. No music necessary.
Many of us are not in this for "the content" at all. While I enjoy some occasional scenic videos I'm more interested in watching tutorials on how to program flight routes, scan large areas, some mapping or inspection classes, crime scene documentation and reconstruction and security and surveillance.

what the goals are
That's the key. I like flying and I like the video i make with it but i don't feel the need to get great at it and don't really care how many views i get. Not laziness or mediocrity i just have other passions I would rather pursue.

That said I appreciate your take on it and the time you took to write it out

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4