Fly Away, lost RC uplink. Don't know why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Share the link back here, to that uploaded file.

Please start a new thread with this information if you care to have anyone take a look. Otherwise, this particular thread is back on topic, and/or completed, from my prospective.

Please start a new thread with this information if you care to have anyone take a look. Otherwise, this particular thread is back on topic, and/or completed, from my prospective.
i did not intend to start a thread, you asked me to post it here :)
no offense meant of course.

Gabriel ... the recorded flight data from that flight just ends with your drone 165 metres up and 83 metres away from home.
You were descending with no indications of any instability when the data stops at 6:28.2.
Most of the time, the recorded data will help find the cause of an incident but yours is one of the uncommon ones that just stops mid-flight.
A possible cause may be that the battery became dislodged or a fault in the power system.
Unfortunately you were flying over deep water and you can't provide the drone to allow DJI to investigate beyond that.
That's a risk you take whenever you fly in a location where the drone can't be retrieved following an incident.
Without being able to prove the cause of the incident, you can't expect DJI to replace the drone.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that DJI must replace drones without any proof of the cause of an incident.
That sounds very, very unlikely.

Reactions: Neon Euc and RodPad
Gabriel ... the recorded flight data from that flight just ends with your drone 165 metres up and 83 metres away from home.
You were descending with no indications of any instability when the data stops at 6:28.2.
Most of the time, the recorded data will help find the cause of an incident but yours is one of the uncommon ones that just stops mid-flight.
A possible cause may be that the battery became dislodged or a fault in the power system.
Unfortunately you were flying over deep water and you can't provide the drone to allow DJI to investigate beyond that.
That's a risk you take whenever you fly in a location where the drone can't be retrieved following an incident.
Without being able to prove the cause of the incident, you can't expect DJI to replace the drone.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that DJI must replace drones without any proof of the cause of an incident.
That sounds very, very unlikely.
Maybe you will find this case very interesting.

First off; DJI are insured and obliged to replace a product lost due to RTH malfunction because it was lost over un recoverable area such as a body of water (lake or ocean).

Second off; DJI told me that any power failure or shut down due to turning the craft upside down (bird etc) would of been indicated before the flight data was disrupted.

Third off; The cause of the incident was the indeed the remote..

DJI can access this data chose to ignore it to save time as they can use a loop hole in the warranty suggesting to replace only damaged products THEY are responsible for and there for i was told that since the drone was in perfect condition they where not obliged.---> IGNORING anything about the remote, un synced alerts, possible firmware issues and strong wifi signal proving.

I made my case with several technicians out side the offices in Europe and they agreed to discuss replacing it.,

I was told that if pilots abused the limits, used 3rd party products etc, DJI will NOT and i agree SHOULD not replace a drone as the pilot breached the operating standards.

So in fact i am in the process of a replacement, sadly i had sent the remote in already after trying to discuss it with the EU office and now may have to wait to get it back before re sending it to the correct people.

Last edited:

First off; DJI are insured and obliged to replace a product lost due to RTH malfunction because it was lost over un recoverable area such as a body of water (lake or ocean).

Second off; DJI told me that any power failure or shut down due to turning the craft upside down (bird etc) would of been indicated before the flight data was disrupted.

Third off; The cause of the incident was the indeed the remote..

DJI can access this data chose to ignore it to save time as they can use a loop hole in the warranty suggesting to replace only damaged products THEY are responsible for and there for i was told that since the drone was in perfect condition they where not obliged.---> IGNORING anything about the remote, un synced alerts, possible firmware issues and strong wifi signal proving.

I made my case with several technicians out side the offices in Europe and they agreed to discuss replacing it.,

I was told that if pilots abused the limits, used 3rd party products etc, DJI will NOT and i agree SHOULD not replace a drone as the pilot breached the operating standards.

So in fact i am in the process of a replacement, sadly i had sent the remote in already after trying to discuss it with the EU office and now may have to wait to get it back before re sending it to the correct people.
How did you manage to ascertain the cause as being the remote?

Btw- DJI seemingly will, and have been demonstrated to, honour warranty where hardware/firmware are implicated in instances where the AC was being operated with 3rd party software.

It is in instances where the AC couldn’t be provided for access to be obtained to the flight logs where problems arise in demonstrating the cause.

Reactions: RodPad

Yes, I'm interested to hear that but have never heard it before and have never seen anything to support this.
I'd be very surprised if it's true.
If the drone turned upside down before power was lost, that is true.
But your drone was stable and right way up when the data ends so it makes no difference.
Is there something that makes you think the drone rolled upside down?
Third off; The cause of the incident was the indeed the remote...
How can you tell that?
This sounds like a fantasy.
DJI can't access any data apart from the flight data that you shared here.
All DJI will be able to see is that the drone was descending in stable flight and the data just ends.
Without proof that the cause of the incident was a DJI issue, DJI are unlikely to give you a warranty replacement.
Using non-DJI software doesn't void your warranty.
There have been plenty of examples of DJI honouring warranty on drones flown with 3rd party software like Litchi.
But if it can be shown that the 3rd party software was the cause, of if the drone can't be retrieved, you would be out of luck as DJI need proof before they would replace any drone.

How did you manage to ascertain the cause as being the remote?

Btw- DJI seemingly will, and have been demonstrated to, honour warranty where hardware/firmware are implicated in instances where the AC was being operated with 3rd party software.

It is in instances where the AC couldn’t be provided for access to be obtained to the flight logs where problems arise in demonstrating the cause.
There is more info we dont see outside the flight logs stored in the flight data, you can export this info from the dji4 app in iTunes.

There is more info we dont see outside the flight logs stored in the flight data, you can export this info from the dji4 app in iTunes.
Like what? This is a revelation that might help many people. Which files? I’m the case of a lost downlink connection I’m wondering what data might be recorded? Perhaps error codes for DJi’s Eyes only?

Yes, I'm interested to hear that but have never heard it before and have never seen anything to support this.
I'd be very surprised if it's true.
This information is not available to us but only Dji techs and programers, we only see cache and flight data.

If the drone turned upside down before power was lost, that is true.
But your drone was stable and right way up when the data ends so it makes no difference.
Is there something that makes you think the drone rolled upside down?

How can you tell that?

This sounds like a fantasy.
When the drone loses power and the remote does not it stores data showing this.

DJI can't access any data apart from the flight data that you shared here.
All DJI will be able to see is that the drone was descending in stable flight and the data just ends.
If DJI wants to investigate they can and its available to those who can, especially aviation authorities.

Using non-DJI software doesn't void your warranty. There have been plenty of examples of DJI honouring warranty on drones flown with 3rd party software like Litchi. But if it can be shown that the 3rd party software was the cause, of if the drone can't be retrieved, you would be out of luck as DJI need proof before they would replace any drone.
i was talking about 3rd party hardware, had no idea there was 3rd party software.

This information is not available to us but only Dji techs and programers, we only see cache and flight data.
When the drone loses power and the remote does not it stores data showing this.
If DJI wants to investigate they can and its available to those who can, especially aviation authorities.
I find this very, very hard to believe.
There's no way the controller is recording anything that could be looked at.
And even if it was .... once you lose signal, it won't show anything more than the data you posted a link to.

Like what? This is a revelation that might help many people. Which files? I’m the case of a lost downlink connection I’m wondering what data might be recorded? Perhaps error codes for DJi’s Eyes only?
basically a black box even if the video signal is lost.

Once your phone is connected to the remote you get details such as stand by time, physical activity (RTH, Pause, and custom buttons), frequency commands and signals synced to the drone., including incompatible or corrupted commands that may of changed the frequencies to of caused a RTH malfunction.

In the hobby world there are systems integrated with remotes to fly up to 150klm.

All these systems store more data from their remotes then DJI does., this is more about creating a innovative, safe and limited product, have you not wanted to fly 10KLM with goggles on yet? Normal., i hate the P4Pro but once in the air i cant stand what took place with the
Frsky Horus X10S - BEST 2018 RADIO - COMPLETE REVIEW
etc etc

The other reasons DJI for not mentioning this is that DJI actually reserves the right to protect their innovation,

If dji wanted to they could implement technology such as Scherrer UHF 100km Long Range UHF System as a new version of OcuSync or light bridge for the Inspires, Phantoms and Mavics and also improved the batteries but its all about the challenge to keep everything withing the laws and limits of not over spending.

In any case it seems that DJI is not discussing the remotes with people who experienced fly aways and looking for ways out of mentioning the remote.

No one here has verified what some of the alerts where., can you make a video of a dji spark showing what sounds the remotes give off if power failed on the spark (pull the battery out while hovering?) ..

Attachments

• 2018-02-04 at 11.37.06.jpg
    2018-02-04 at 11.37.06.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
I find this very, very hard to believe.
There's no way the controller is recording anything that could be looked at.
And even if it was .... once you lose signal, it won't show anything more than the data you posted a link to.
the signal between the remote and drone is one thing but the remote still records into the dji app, always.

Def some confusion going on here. DJI data can only record what happens with the drone if there is a link between the RC and drone. If you lost the drone then it can't record any more data at all.

Its like turning the drone off, pulling out the battery and saying

"I wonder why no data has been recorded"

You need a connection between the two to get the data. You can't expect to call your friend on a cell phone if he doesn't have one now do you? You need a straight line of communication between the two devices for it to work.

Its a simple open and close case.

Drone flew over head, RTH started, RTH cancelled, signal got lost, bye bye drone.

Sorry to sound blunt but its as simple as that. But I do hope you find your drone tho

Def some confusion going on here. DJI data can only record what happens with the drone if there is a link between the RC and drone. If you lost the drone then it can't record any more data at all.

Its like turning the drone off, pulling out the battery and saying

"I wonder why no data has been recorded"

You need a connection between the two to get the data. You can't expect to call your friend on a cell phone if he doesn't have one now do you? You need a straight line of communication between the two devices for it to work.

Its a simple open and close case.

Drone flew over head, RTH started, RTH cancelled, signal got lost, bye bye drone.

Sorry to sound blunt but its as simple as that. But I do hope you find your drone tho
No, your incorrect, your only referring to the flight data records you sync to the dji cloud.
All communications between devices are stored in the iTunes DJI app documents., unfortunately you need an older version of iTunes to access the docs as Apple now requires each fool who owns an iphone or ipad to sync apps individually via wifi (imagine if your limited to 20 GBs of internet a month and sharing this ).
Been im not one of the fools with over 6 family members sharing a icloud account and internet at home i trashed the new iTunes and found a corp version for companies who need to syn apps in iTunes still., you can get it from Apples site here ---> Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes

the signal between the remote and drone is one thing but the remote still records into the dji app, always.
The remote records what to the app?
It's no secret that you can see the joystick input in the recorded flight data.
I look at that every incident I investigate.
Is that what you mean?
Once your phone is connected to the remote you get details such as stand by time, physical activity (RTH, Pause, and custom buttons), frequency commands and signals synced to the drone., including incompatible or corrupted commands that may of changed the frequencies to of caused a RTH malfunction.
I can't understand this.
RTH is extremely reliable although many users have a poor understanding of how it works.
Incompatible or corrupted commands don't cause RTH to fail.
RTH either works or gets cancelled which would leave the drone hovering waiting for your control.

You've mentioned RTH failure several times but your flight record has no indication that any RTH signal was received.
RTH was not involved at all in the loss of your drone.
In any case it seems that DJI is not discussing the remotes with people who experienced fly aways and looking for ways out of mentioning the remote.
That's probably because there's nothing about the remotes that is relevant.
btw .. there's no such thing as a flyaway.
There are drones that get lost for various reasons (that are usually made clear in the flight data), but they don't just fly away.
No one here has verified what some of the alerts where., can you make a video of a dji spark showing what sounds the remotes give off if power failed on the spark (pull the battery out while hovering?) ..
Does the remote give a different alert when it loses signal from when the drone loses power?
I would expect it to be the same because losing power causes a loss of signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z