My Phantom 4 pro almost flew away..

Reaction score
hey!

I had some issues with my phantom 4 pro last weekend.
I calibrated the IMU and the compass because i have had a lot of problem with unstraight horizon. I have had som compass and gps error during the summer but the drone has been flying as it should.

Until now.. After calibration a took it out for a test. The horizon was straight and everythging felt good. Suddenly i got compass error and gps error and the drone flew away from me.. i could control the yaw in some way. it reacted very slow. the speed was pretty high.
I swithed over to ATTI mode and pressed RTH buttom and after a while it returned back and i could land saftely. I thing the drone was about 250-300 meter from me when it started to come back.

I am going to send it back to DJI, so i hope they will solve it..

but i am interested if anyone could se in the log what could have caused this problem.

This was a very scary experience..

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

best
per wahlström

RTH probably should be avoided, and at least not relied on when you have compass issues. We need to know more. Where did you calibrate the compass? What was the magnetic environment like where you launched. Do you remember if the radar display was accurately depicting the AC heading? When this happens you are best to watch the orientation of the AC and fly back manually. In extreme cases the controls can be be close to fully reversed.

yes.. i felt like the last think to do to rescue the situation. I did not feel any better ability to control the drone in ATTI mode. I do not know it i could se if the AC was depicted right on the radar. I will look att that one next time (when it hopefully not happen again)..

I calibrated the compass on my yard. This time i was extra picky and put keys, phones and stuff a bit away. The surface was gravel, no metal in the ground as far as i know. I saw now that my neighbours have a small fence in metall. mayby five meters from calibration point. And my car was aproximatly five meters away.

RTH probably should be avoided, and at least not relied on when you have compass issues. We need to know more. Where did you calibrate the compass? What was the magnetic environment like where you launched. Do you remember if the radar display was accurately depicting the AC heading? When this happens you are best to watch the orientation of the AC and fly back manually. In extreme cases the controls can be be close to fully reversed.

I have had som compass and gps error during the summer but the drone has been flying as it should.
If you have a compass error, the Phantom automatically ignores GPS and puts the drone into atti mode.
This is not a GPS error - just a compass error.
It is extremely rare to have a problem with GPS.

Suddenly i got compass error and gps error and the drone flew away from me.. i could control the yaw in some way. it reacted very slow. the speed was pretty high.
I swithed over to ATTI mode and pressed RTH buttom and after a while it returned back and i could land saftely. I thing the drone was about 250-300 meter from me when it started to come back.

I am going to send it back to DJI, so i hope they will solve it..
but i am interested if anyone could se in the log what could have caused this problem.
You were lucky to get it back.
Many Phantoms have been crashed or lost with yaw error/compass error combination.
The common cause is launching from an area of magnetic disturbance, such as a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
Perhaps there was a pipe or steel work underneath your launch spot?

You should calibrate the compass in a clean area, well away from any steel objects.
Once you have a good compass calibration you shouldn't ever need to calibrate it again.
ANd avoid launching from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces or close to steel objects.

If you have a compass error, the Phantom automatically ignores GPS and puts the drone into atti mode.
This is not a GPS error - just a compass error.
It is extremely rare to have a problem with GPS.

You were lucky to get it back.
Many Phantoms have been crashed or lost with yaw error/compass error combination.
The common cause is launching from an area of magnetic disturbance, such as a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
Perhaps there was a pipe or steel work underneath your launch spot?

You should calibrate the compass in a clean area, well away from any steel objects.
Once you have a good compass calibration you shouldn't ever need to calibrate it again.
ANd avoid launching from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces or close to steel objects.

I realize that I was extremely lucky to have it back!
Thanks for explanation of things!!

Yaw error.. What is that? Have never heard of before I red the flight log.

I have got some message a lot of times about the GPS and switching to atti mode. Often it switches back after som seconds. And all the times I have been flying in open spaces without any interference. As far as I know..

Like a nightmare to see the drone fly away.. I am happy i have some experience to fly. I think it must be easy to be paralyzed of the situation.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4