Fly away, crash, and burn.

It's the same quad/person, hence the exact same results. Auto take off highly unlikely as issues, I'm sure lots of people only use that feature to launch.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
True. I posted in DJI's forum as well. Sometimes you actually get results from DJI.

What about your compass data? Looks all outta whack..Shows all lit up in red in HD report:

View attachment 63696

Did you have any metal objects near your drone when you started it up? Any magnets? New area?
If compass got messed up, maybe that was what caused the crash??
This may sound strange but when HealthyDrones shows compass error its usually, if not always, an indication of a propulsion issue. HD indicates a compass error when there are large changes in the heading. HD assumes this can't actually be happening and that it must be a problem with the compass. If there is a propulsion issue (broke, lost prop, or ESC failure) the AC will spin and HD will show compass error. I've seen several flights where this has happened.

This may sound strange but when HealthyDrones shows compass error its usually, if not always, an indication of a propulsion issue. HD indicates a compass error when there are large changes in the heading. HD assumes this can't actually be happening and that it must be a problem with the compass. If there is a propulsion issue (broke, lost prop, or ESC failure) the AC will spin and HD will show compass error. I've seen several flights where this has happened.

Makes sense, and good to know.. thanks! .. if i found similar compass errors in my log, i would think its a... well.. a compass error..

It would take quite a substantial object to cause a Phantom to go down.

Bugs or bees would just be squashed but the drone would not even notice it. I regularly need to wipe off stains and specks from bug strikes from my Phantom and have never noticed the slightest loss of control.

Birds would most likely avoid the drone unless they are deliberately try to attack it. You would definitely know that if it was the case, attacking birds tend to make quite a racket.

I would assume thay your crash was caused by a malfunction in one of the motors or in the ESC controller board.

// Tom
Most birds flee but I had a friggin seagull take my P3P out last year.

There are several posts like this on the DJI forum. They only respond "blah blah blah". I had the same thing more or less. Had 11 satellites 100%, then, from one second to the Other "Weak GPS Signal" and "Compass error" - this was like 5 minutes into the flight. The P3 flew away at fullclip. I pressed the RTH and prayed, luckily it worked.

Logs confirm "Compass error" - and loss of GPS. This is the same area that has 100% and 10-14 satellites all the time. Makes me believe in a software bug. DJI says absolutely nothing zilch and nada.

// Lazze

Reactions: Lefty63
There are several posts like this on the DJI forum. They only respond "blah blah blah". I had the same thing more or less. Had 11 satellites 100%, then, from one second to the Other "Weak GPS Signal" and "Compass error" - this was like 5 minutes into the flight. The P3 flew away at fullclip. I pressed the RTH and prayed, luckily it worked.

Logs confirm "Compass error" - and loss of GPS. This is the same area that has 100% and 10-14 satellites all the time. Makes me believe in a software bug. DJI says absolutely nothing zilch and nada.

// Lazze

Why not switch to Atti mode? Much better odds of flying it back yourself than getting it to come home on its own with a true compass or GPS error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not switch to Atti mode? Much better odds of flying it back yourself than getting it to come home on its own with a true compass or GPS error.

Because if I wanted to fly solely in ATTI mode, I'd bought a 100$ Drone at TeknikMagasinet, not a 1000$ Drone with auto hover and GPS.

It's like buying a Porsche and only use the first gear.

// Lazze

Hi lefty
I am new to drone flying and see that ever one seems to recorded their flights. Is this done automatically or does it need to be set up and we're do I find these logs?
Thanks Tobs
Tobs-
The flight logs are recorded automatically in the DJI Go app. Retrieving them will vary depending on which device you are using. You could search the forum on how to do that. Several posts have been written for all, or most, devices. As mentioned above, there are also different websites that can read and display the data. Some are more useful than others.

You missed the point by million miles...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have the Phantom for Photo/Video - not intersted in any type of fancy flying. So for me, auto hover and stability is the key. So I can conentrate on composition, aperture och shutterspeed.
// LZ

Last edited:
I have the Phantom for Photo/Video - not intersted in any type of fancy flying. So for me, auto hover and stability is the key. So I can conentrate on composition, aperture och shutterspeed.
// LZ

You are still missing it but at least this makes some sense unlike the original post before you edited it.
Let me try to explain why you missed totally valid and good advice. When you get a compass and/or GPS error while flying hitting RTH is the worst and most risky option and will usually lead to crashed or lost drone. Reason is obvious, functional compass and GPS is required for RTH to work. If their data is bogus your drone will fly everywhere else but to your Home point. That is why switching to ATTI and fly home manually is recommended in such occasions.

Reactions: jwatki11
Yep.

I rarely fly in Atti mode for vids or having fun, can't afford to play with mine too much.

But, I do fly in Atti on a regular basis and can fly proficiently in that mode with complete comfort.

It's an important skill to have if you want to remain the owner of a phantom with GPS or Compass errors.

Never had an error, but have no issue flipping a switch to bring it home if I did.

You are still missing it but at least this makes some sense unlike the original post before you edited it.
Let me try to explain why you missed totally valid and good advice. When you get a compass and/or GPS error while flying hitting RTH is the worst and most risky option and will usually lead to crashed or lost drone. Reason is obvious, functional compass and GPS is required for RTH to work. If their data is bogus your drone will fly everywhere else but to your Home point. That is why switching to ATTI and fly home manually is recommended in such occasions.

I do get that. But what happened to me was this

1. Flying normally for 5 minutes
2. Hovers about 25m up in front of me
3. Drone does not answer stick movement, 2 seconds later ..
3.5 / forgot: Drone swapped mode to ATTI - so now I'm in ATTI mode.
4. Drone goes away at full clip over a house, out of LOS
5. No Video
6. I run, spot the drone going like 10-15m/s away
7. I desperately press RTH

Conclusion: SW bug when drone detected 11 -> 10 Satellites, resulting in compass error, Bug in system gives full throttle in a loop for 7-10 seconds before responding to RTH or maybe doing a RTH on its own, since the failsafe says "RTH when signal drop".

Can't see ATTI would have helped me there. IMHO the drone is flawed with a serious bug in the latest firmware.

I normal cellphone can handle compass, gps, 2g/3g/4g/cellular, bluetooth and WiFi without going crazy from signal disturbance, shouldn't be a problem for a semi-pro drone either.

If I can't trust the machine, I have no use for it.

// LZ

Last edited:
Yep.

I rarely fly in Atti mode for vids or having fun, can't afford to play with mine too much.

But, I do fly in Atti on a regular basis and can fly proficiently in that mode with complete comfort.

It's an important skill to have if you want to remain the owner of a phantom with GPS or Compass errors.

Never had an error, but have no issue flipping a switch to bring it home if I did.

I bought an expensive drone to get auto hover and "easy flying". If the quality is so bad that I have to fly manually, I could have bought a much cheaper version.

+ the Phantom is sold with these features, I might be crazy, but I do think they should work. Using ATTI should be a choice no a necessity.

// LZ

Happy to report I finally got satisfaction from DJI. I just don't understand why everything is so complicated with them. They sent an email stating the damage assessment was complete and an invoice would be emailed in 24 hrs. Nothing was received after a week, so I posted in their forum. That got their attention and I was contacted by phone, and an invoice was sent. They wanted over $500 for repairs!! I called back to ask why it wasn't covered under warranty. I was told they were unable to retrieve the flight data fro the unit. Well duh! The unit was toast, it went up in flames!
Keep in mind this important tidbit. On the DJI Global Technical Support Form, there is a spot to include your DJI account information , and you're asked if the records are synced.
Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 8.18.17 AM copy.jpg

So I was told they would look into it again. He came back with this:
I have been working closely with the flight log analysis team very closely on this for you. I have been informed that we are not able to retrieve flight log information via sync from the DJI GO App. The aircraft's flight data record was damaged and cannot be read unfortunately.

Ultimately we are unable to retrieve the data and have exhausted all options. We want to provide the best solution for you however we are unable to confirm if the aircraft malfunctioned in any way.

We would like to assist the best we can, I was able to approve a 30% discount for the current invoice amount.

I called back and told him that was not acceptable. We went back and forth with phone calls and emails. I'll spare the details. So it turns out he was not using the email provided on the technical support form. WTF? Why do I even bother filling that thing out? Clearly they aren't reading it. Once they used the email provided, giving them access to my synced records they sent the following email-

We do have the finalized results of the flight log analysis.

It was detected that the aircraft spun in a counter-clockwise direction without any obstructions in the vicinity. The team theorizes that the data shows the possibility of a failed Motor or ESC or the likelihood of a propeller that detached.

Your repair will move forward under warranty coverage. I have ensured that your repair has been moved forward.

Thank you again for working so closely on this issue with me.

If they had just read the technical support form in the first place they could saved everyone a lot of time and aggravation. All the while they kept stating "Customer satisfaction is our top priority." They have the end result correct, but the way they go about achieving that is simply astounding.

Satisfied with the end result, but still giving poor grades for how difficult it was to get there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues