Fly away, crash, and burn.

You say: "while I tried to load the way point route". Does DJI Go app have way point route you load?

NoCo Drones

The other possibility is that a prop broke. The .DAT data can usually differentiate between a motor failure and a broken prop. Go here for advice on retrieving the .DAT file.

Reactions: Lefty63
OK I just no stopped crawling all over the data looking for what I call redflags. So to begin, this is about the 8th one I have diagnosed in the last few weeks that has dropped when the operator used AutoTakeoff. What I noticed in your situation is you launched with the R/C in F-mode. Since the last updates there seems to be a conflict when the Navigation feature and AutoTakeoff are used at the same time. Right before your A/C dropped data showed that onscreen should have displayed "Not Enough Force". In looking at the Amps and Volts data, it showed the A/C slowed down for exactly 1 second and then pick right back up as it began to tumble. I should tell you now had you grabbed the sticks and push up on both for that matter, you probably could have saved this one from crashing.

This is the best I can do....but this really needs the dat looked at to see what took place with the motor rpm's.

The other possibility is that a prop broke. The .DAT data can usually differentiate between a motor failure and a broken prop. Go here for advice on retrieving the .DAT file.

Would the rpm's drop if a prop broke or spun off?

I'm concerned about using one my extra batteries in this unit, after the first one smoked.
I wouldn't risk it then. My guess is that it's either a broken prop or a motor/esc issue. It doesn't matter because DJI will figure that out and determine if it's to be fixed under warranty or not.

Sorry for your loss. If it makes you feel any better it's unlikely you could have done anything to prevent the crash.

Sorry for your loss. If it makes you feel any better it's unlikely you could have done anything to prevent the crash.

UMMM??

[QUOTEflyNfrank]
I should tell you now had you grabbed the sticks and push up on both for that matter, you probably could have saved this onefrom crashing.[/QUOTE]

UMMM??

[QUOTEflyNfrank]
I should tell you now had you grabbed the sticks and push up on both for that matter, you probably could have saved this onefrom crashing.
[/QUOTE]

If the all the props were still attached, it had a chance of being saved. Based on the data it was hovering normal, then for 1 second it died down as if everything went to 1/2 speed, after that 1 second it went back to normal speed as it tumbled to the ground.

In looking at the Amps and Volts data, it showed the A/C slowed down for exactly 1 second and then pick right back up as it began to tumble. I should tell you now had you grabbed the sticks and push up on both for that matter, you probably could have saved this one from crashing.
That's great advice from a hindsight view. At that altitude, it's unlikely I would have noticed the drop in speed from the ground. Since my focus was in loading a waypoint mission, any onscreen notice would've been missed also. Unfortunately, the unit has to be in flight before loading the mission. I'm looking into retrieving the .DAT before sending it off to DJI.
In all likelihood, it wasn't caused solely by operator error. Thanks very much for looking through my data.

Altitude is your freind in a lot of cases, especially when you need time to think or to take your eye off things momentarily.

Hopefully you get some joy from DJI. Loss of propulsion on an almost full battery without control input suggests an issue.

That's great advice from a hindsight view. At that altitude, it's unlikely I would have noticed the drop in speed from the ground. Since my focus was in loading a waypoint mission, any onscreen notice would've been missed also. Unfortunately, the unit has to be in flight before loading the mission. I'm looking into retrieving the .DAT before sending it off to DJI.
In all likelihood, it wasn't caused solely by operator error. Thanks very much for looking through my data.

You are right, you would have almost been expecting it to take place to save it at 138ft. I had nearly the same exact thing take place to me 1 1/2yrs ago and I managed to get it saved about 20ft from the ground. When I saw it falling it was like instinct to push up on both levers. Btw, that was from 200ft.

Edit: 260ft

Last edited:
This is the flight I spoke of. It's 4 mins.

I was so focused on the loading the waypoint mission, by the time I saw the drone falling, it was probably 30 ft from doom. Not much to do then but watch in horror as the pieces flew, and the smoke arose.

@flyNfrank why would you use battery data as a proxy for speed and altitude when the speed and altitude data exists.
upload_2016-8-30_5-36-36.png

Altitude and speed are both steady (and have been for 3 secs) until the incident at 31 secs. There weren't any indications at the time, or in hindsight, of what was to come. As @msinger pointed out the A/C started tumbling and there would have been no way to save it.

It's normal for the current data to lag motor speed data. Not sure why that is, but it always does.
upload_2016-8-30_5-42-35.png

The drop in current here was in response to leveling out.

@flyNfrank why would you use battery data as a proxy for speed and altitude when the speed and altitude data exists.
Altitude and speed are both steady (and have been for 3 secs) until the incident at 31 secs. There weren't any indications at the time, or in hindsight, of what was to come. As @msinger pointed out the A/C started tumbling and there would have been no way to save it.
It's normal for the current data to lag motor speed data. Not sure why that is, but it always does.
The drop in current here was in response to leveling out.

I don't understand what it is exactly that you are trying to say based on what I have said an posted here. If you have a issue just say so. Don't waste your time purposely posting saying I don't know what I'm talking about. Btw, my posted video shows the aircraft tumbling and I managed to save it.

I try and help and nothing more. What I do is for me, not you. If I made a mistake here I would expect that you would send a message saying you don't think something right. Not belittle me by posting graphs and charts that have little to do with any of what I have said.

The visual part to what I said can be seen in the data below. In the Blue section shows the start leading into the tumble. You can where the Amps decrease and the Volts in each batter cell Increase. 1 second second later those areas return as they were prior to...

I don't do any of this for money, nor have I ever asked for or received anything. I get thanked by those that appreciate my time, and that means a great deal to me. If you had any idea the amount of hours it takes to diagnose a data related issue. or the amount of time I spend on a daily basis in doing this, then maybe you would have a different approach.

I have never shown you any disrespect publicly, plus I'm always giving props with the stuff you've done.

1aandv.jpg

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I launched my new P3P after about half dozen or so successful flights. It hovered after auto take off, I gave it some altitude (30ft or so) as I searched for the waypoints path I wanted to run. That's when I saw my drone come tumbling down to the ground. I uploaded the flight record to healthydrones and it just shows I briefly lost GPS signal. Which files should I be looking at to determine if it was an internal error, or something else? Given my history with DJI repair, I'm skeptical to send it in.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Fly away, crash, and burn.

NOTICE both used auto take off and exact same.....

I don't think this qualifies as a "Flyaway". It's more of a "Flydown". Interesting about the auto takeoff. Don't think I've ever used it and I'm glad I haven't.

I launched my new P3P after about half dozen or so successful flights. It hovered after auto take off, I gave it some altitude (30ft or so) as I searched for the waypoints path I wanted to run. That's when I saw my drone come tumbling down to the ground. I uploaded the flight record to healthydrones and it just shows I briefly lost GPS signal. Which files should I be looking at to determine if it was an internal error, or something else? Given my history with DJI repair, I'm skeptical to send it in.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

What about your compass data? Looks all outta whack..Shows all lit up in red in HD report:

HealthyDrones.jpeg

Did you have any metal objects near your drone when you started it up? Any magnets? New area?
If compass got messed up, maybe that was what caused the crash??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl