Firmware v 1.8.80 released (with notes)

Every time their is a update it scary, if I understand good, if you have a confirm RC firmware show in your RC it is safe to upgrade both with no problem . Could you fly without the upgrade? My RC 1.5.80 aircraft 1.7.0060. Thanks to all for expertise
Normally an upgrade should be welcome as it fixes bugs in previous release and/ or adds new features. But we hardly know what's all changed in the new release and we keep thinking is the range reduced? Are new NFZ controls added? Etc etc. DJI has to gain confidence of the Phantom community that the new release will not withdraw/ limit existing features and it will always give better and stable performance.

Reactions: Jack1926
I feel the same. Latest FW appears to be stable though some are complaining. We need to dig deeper.
I've not tried yet 1.8, I was still on 1.4 and now I've updated to 1.6.4 because of is the latest without NFZ. I've RC in 1.4.3 that is quiet old, my next step is to update RC to 1.5.8 that is the ones before latest

(Apologies for cross-posting...)

Two (windy) flights so far...so good. Quite happy with it, although it did reset my gains/exp...finally had the yaw/gimbal setup the way I liked it and poof....all gone....remind me to do some screen grabs next time I have it set the way I like it:oops:...here's a long edit video of the flights: Details in the YT description, along with latest DJI and Litchi apps..N-joy....

I did not observe any signal loss issues and the HealthyDrones log appears to confirm this....I need more data points to be sure, but next flight will be around these wind turbines and it will be the farthest I've flown in quite a while...soooo, I'll have a better idea afterwards...

(Real flights start at 0:26...there is a link to HealthyDrones data in the YT comments as well)

Reactions: reboot81
From what I've gathered by skimming through this thread, 1.8.80 doesn't seem to have any major/obvious issues. IMO the issues that have been reported (gimbal tilted, no video feed, twitchy flight characteristics) are likely caused by not doing the usual post-update calibrations or using a sketchy tablet.

That said, I also think there is a lot of placebo effect in play as well. Reports that the latest firmware "flys better and seems to be more responsive" is likely direct result of the firmware's release notes mentioning this. Which, we all should take with a grain of salt.

Also, the "I'm still on X.X.XX firmware and don't plan on ever updating!" responses are very informative.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Numone
Just upgraded from 1.4. Updated everything without a glitch and the camera is better. I'm also getting better video transmission and went out 900 feet further than I have gone in the past. Smooth and stable in the air and pivots on a dime now. I also found that it takes off and lands very smooth. Stills and vido have been improved a LOT. Best update in months.

Reactions: StevenQX
Just upgraded from 1.4. Updated everything without a glitch and the camera is better. I'm also getting better video transmission and went out 900 feet further than I have gone in the past. Smooth and stable in the air and pivots on a dime now. I also found that it takes off and lands very smooth. Stills and vido have been improved a LOT. Best update in months.
Did you update your remote controller with DJI Go app or via USB micro SD adapter?

Hello everyone. I was on firmware 1.3.20 and decided to upgrade my phantom 3 to newest 1.8.80. So I fist upgraded to 1.7.0060 and than the newest one. No problem at all, total took me about 20 min. to do so, including RC upgrade. I did IMU calibration and decided to test my P3A. Never had any issues on previews firmware. I charged my battery to 100% and took the sky. Flew about 6300' and was losing signal and decided to brig it back to home. I had around 60% charge and warning came to my screen saying battery level low. The way I set up is low battery warning 30% and critical battery warning 10%. And after upgrading firmware I went through all settings to make sure everything is fine. So what that could be... not sure. Maybe anyone can give me some hint.

Hello everyone. I was on firmware 1.3.20 and decided to upgrade my phantom 3 to newest 1.8.80. So I fist upgraded to 1.7.0060 and than the newest one. No problem at all, total took me about 20 min. to do so, including RC upgrade. I did IMU calibration and decided to test my P3A. Never had any issues on previews firmware. I charged my battery to 100% and took the sky. Flew about 6300' and was losing signal and decided to brig it back to home. I had around 60% charge and warning came to my screen saying battery level low. The way I set up is low battery warning 30% and critical battery warning 10%. And after upgrading firmware I went through all settings to make sure everything is fine. So what that could be... not sure. Maybe anyone can give me some hint.

Try leaving the firmware update on the card and starting up the P3 with that battery in it. The battery update might need to be re done.

Why did you not go straight from 1.4 to 1.8 ?
Be interested in comparison on pictures.
I find 1.4 to be excellent.
I have been contact DJI support and they said, you have first to go 1.5 . I am not sure, is it true, but this is how I do it....

I watched a YouTube video this afternoon that says updates should be incremental - 1.3 to 1.5 etc - and not to skip them.

On another tack, updated the drone and RC today with some trepidation, but all went smoothly. Did a quick test flight a few minutes ago, and absolutely no problems (yet). The real test comes at dawn tomorrow when I need to fly a Litchi missing for a client. Fingers crossed

Try leaving the firmware update on the card and starting up the P3 with that battery in it. The battery update might need to be re done.

Funny thing happened. Doing that came to my mind right before I read your reply. Hopefully that was the case. I have 3 batteries and did each the same way. Thanks for your reply.

[IMPORTANT]: During my discussions with a member of the forum, I found he took several attempts to get FW installed on his P3. Later on he found that his SD card has issues.

OMG, this can happen to anyone and every one if we don't take care.

1. We should never take out SD card when P3 is ON

2. Use only reputed make and from reputed suppliers as there are many fake SD cards are available in the market. They are lower sized but their internal tables are modified so when you look at laptop, it shows as a high capacity. Such cards will corrupt data if you exceed their limits or in short are not reliable and warned not to use.

3. In view of this, I recommend to save original 16GB card that came with P3 reserved for updates ONLY. Don't use that card for any other purposes. That would help us to some extent. FW is the brain of the system and you can easily brick your P3 with corrupted uploads.

4. In case you are doubtful of your upgrade, you can always downgrade and later on upgrade again with the latest FW.

5. It is suggested not to download FW from any other site except DJI, who are responsible for distribution of the correct FW.

Sorry, If I over stepped, I felt to warn every one of you and did so with good intentions. I am concerned to see so many failures during FW installations.

Last edited:
Steven, I guest if you fly your drone with a older version with no problem I can't skip the new version until everybody is satisfy with it. I tough that you could not fly your drone if the update was not done.

Steven, I guest if you fly your drone with a older version with no problem I can't skip the new version until everybody is satisfy with it. I tough that you could not fly your drone if the update was not done.
You can fly without any problems, just ignore DJI Go firmware update reminder

Not sure the new firmware is the cause. I've seen reports of this from time to time. I used to have this problem with my P2V. It would start to autoland due to low battery with 40% to 56% battery level. Returned it to DJI and they replaced the battery and problem went away. My P3A has not had that issue (yet, anyway).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl