P4 Firmware Features Gained by Updating

Reaction score
Greetings all - I could use your verification and advice.

I’ve searched the forums here for pros/cons of updating my firmware, the DJI Go 4 app, etc. Based on what I've found, I've compiled a list of features that I'd gain by biting the bullet and updating everything. I haven’t updated the app, aircraft, or controller since summer of last year, primarily because of the forced No Fly Zone issues many have posted about.

Here’s my current setup:
Phantom 4 Pro
— iPad Pro: 11.2.2 (would like to go to 11.2.5)
— DJI Go 4 app: 4.05
— Aircraft: 01.03.0509
— Controller: 01.04.00.00
— Flight Database: 00.00.01.04
— App Database: 00.00.01.04
— Batteries: unknown, but I assume I’ll have to update these too

From what I can tell via this forum and DJI’s website, here is what would change from what I have now (for better or worse). Ones that are most important to me are in bold:

A. No Fly Zones required (can’t disable; must unlock in controlled airspace)
B. Gimbal roll fixed (tilted horizon); should not have to adjust gimbal every few flights
C. Camera: Pano camera mode added
D. Camera: Shallow Focus mode added (?)

E. Camera: Auto Sync HD Photos added
F. Camera: Long Exposure Preview added
G. Intelligent Flights: Cinematic Mode added
H. Intelligent Flights: QuickShot added
I. Intelligent Flights: Dronie added
J. Intelligent Flights: Helix added
K. Intelligent Flights: Rocket added
L. Intelligent Flights: Spotlight Pro added
M. Intelligent Flights: Composition Mode added
N. More stable flights (?)
O. Ability to disable storing flight data on DJI servers (?)

So, does this list look correct, when comparing what I have now to what I’d get when updating to the current firmware? And … any advice, warnings, about any of these updates?

Thanks … John

Last edited:
You forgot one entry: Misc Bug Fixes
Those are the unknown's and the most disconcerting with updates. Most have no issues, but it's those that have prevented me personally from updating anything when I have a perfectly good aircraft and it flies to my satisfaction with no issues. Just an opinion.

@Fly Dawg - I appreciate that opinion. I've held off updating for all this time because of many reported bugs in new firmware. My bird flies pretty well overall; I'm considering doing it now because I have tilted horizon issues on most flights. Even after adjusting the gimbal, I have to go back and adjust again and again. That, and some of the camera and intelligent flight modes I'll gain may make it time to consider the updates.

I've held off updating for all this time because of many reported bugs in new firmware.
This has been, and is the case for any firmware, regardless of what it is. There is really no way to get it "perfect", in every case. Not only with the Phantom's but many other entities as well. It's really a matter of " Are you happy" with the operation. Again not directly Phantom related but the question I always ask is risk vs reward. Sometimes you are good to go, other times it's a nightmare.

Reactions: daddioJP
This is a big myth. You have always had this without any updates.
DJI only ever see your flight data if you choose to share it with them 9synching your flight records).
Sorry, @Meta4 - I should have worded that differently. You are correct - we've always been able to not synch with DJI. What I meant to ask about with this bullet was a feature that I heard DJI implemented due to security concerns (especially military groups) where geo data collection could be disabled. I'm probably not communicating it correctly. Just interested to learn more about it, hence my inclusion. Any thoughts on the other items?

Sorry, @Meta4 - I should have worded that differently. You are correct - we've always been able to not synch with DJI. What I meant to ask about with this bullet was a feature that I heard DJI implemented due to security concerns (especially military groups) where geo data collection could be disabled. I'm probably not communicating it correctly. Just interested to learn more about it, hence my inclusion. Any thoughts on the other items?
The "feature" you mention is in the DJI Pilot app, used for bigger drones but hasn't shown up in the Phantom.
But it doesn't matter because the idea that somehow DJI get your flight data isn't true anyway.

In case it helps anyone else, I did the update to the latest firmware. It turns out the many of the features I thought I might gain in my original post aren't there for the P4P. What I DID gain, from the list above, was:

A. No Fly Zones required - this is in place now but I there are fewer restrictions than I had heard there would be
B. Gimbal roll fixed (tilted horizon) - so far, at least, it seems better than in the past
C. Camera: Pano camera mode added - multiple Pano modes added; have taken the shots but not tried stitching them yet
N. More stable flights - maybe; when I flew for the first few times the AC was a bit squirrelly; need more flights to determine for sure
O. Bugs fixed - perhaps, time will tell; I DID gain a new bug - when shooting video straight down, the image flips upside down!

Hope this helps ... JP

Reactions: whitelineNI

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl