Fatshark HD3 with P4

Reaction score
Is anyone using these on a P4? Not alot of discussion on this forum about them, everyone seems only interested in Glyphs. Forum search did not turn up much. Youtube has several reviews but not by Phantom4 owners.

I am considering the Fatshark HD3. I need a goggle that does both 5.8 and hdmi.

I do not need headphones or augmented reality and not really intrested in the Avegant Glyphs or Cinemizers or the steep price of Epsons. I dont want a giant thing hanging off my face or to carry around. I probably wont use them to watch movies.

I am aware of what the FAA goggle rules are.

I concerned about the aspect ratio of the HD3 vs the V3 or the V2's.
I dont want my feed squished as that throws off perspective and orientation when flying. Just as squished images on a website stink, squished video ruins the experience.

I will be connecting either from the hdmi port on the controller or from my Nvidia Shield and 5.8 ghz on my other quads.
I am aware of what the screen data will look like from the Shield (mirrored) vs the hdmi port (dji fpv screen)

What will the aspect ratio be when connected via hdmi from the tablet directly?
What will it be when connected to the hdmi port on the controller?
What is the resoltuion of the HD3's in your eyeballs, does it look good or grainy like 5.8ghz fpv?

The aspect ratio of the goggles is 16:9 when connected via hdmi.

Is there a better goggle than this that does both hdmi and 5.8 and has a good picture?
The picture on the Fatshark hd3 doesnt seem to be super high res. I dont care what it resolution it records in, I am more concerned about immediate resolution when flying.

I am looking for a somewhat immersive experience as these will be often used by a passenger.

I think the only thing holding me back on the HD3's is the image you see through the googles using hdmi. I know 5.8ghz will be grainy, I'm not too worried about qaulity for that feed.

but if it's using an hdmi hookup from the P4, then why wouldnt the internal screen reflect that?
Why even create a device called "HD-3" if they arent "HD"?

Can anyone owners or those with experience weigh in on this?

I have the p4 with the new HD3's. I would not recommend the hd3's at all..the aspect ratio from hdmi is 16:9 it does narrow it down but the main issue is how grainy it is.. i cant believe they even call them hd... also I bought mine the first day avail and now apparently they have a bad batch they are replacing but you need to be on a long waiting list to get them repaired. I guess the first batch out has bad optics as you cannot read the on screen display data. Its blurry and you need to constantly adjust the goggles to see the blurry data at all. Also the battery on mine will not charge past half way mark. (I bought the charger from fat shark)I spoke to the customer service and they gave me some complicated directions about manually resetting the battery with a 9volt battery. They just assume you already know all about these type of batts and have your own charger. Long story short mine are worthless and i never heard back from them about a repair. ( they denied a refund since I did not get to use them tel after the 14 day return policy. Save your money

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: jakobe75
Fatshark is way overrated. Try out the Headplay goggles. Totally immersive, 720p resolution that matches the HDMI output of the DJI RC. Super clear view and amazing for only $250. The only downside is the size of the goggle. That's due to the large screen inside. Since there is no diopler adjustment you also need good eyes, as the Fresnel lens options included won't fit everyone's up close focus capability. I had to use a different setup with an optical lens prescription with x4 diopler. BTW, DJI doesn't support 5.8 wireless analog video, you must use HDMI, however Headplay does support it for other brand craft using analog FPV video for racing.

Fatshark is way overrated. Try out the Headplay goggles. Totally immersive, 720p resolution that matches the HDMI output of the DJI RC. Super clear view and amazing for only $250. The only downside is the size of the goggle. That's due to the large screen inside. Since there is no diopler adjustment you also need good eyes, as the Fresnel lens options included won't fit everyone's up close focus capability. I had to use a different setup with an optical lens prescription with x4 diopler. BTW, DJI doesn't support 5.8 wireless analog video, you must use HDMI, however Headplay does support it for other brand craft using analog FPV video for racing.

Yes, I have heard that Headplay, SkyViews, Eachine Goggle 2's. Are all great but unfortuntaly the size is a problem. I need to be able to pack these.

The Eachine Goggle 2 does 5.8 and 1080 hdmi from a 1080 sourcre and 720 from a Phantom and are $139 btw.

Yes, I have heard that Headplay, SkyViews, Eachine Goggle 2's. Are all great but unfortuntaly the size is a problem. I need to be able to pack these.

The Eachine Goggle 2 does 5.8 and 1080 hdmi from a 1080 sourcre and 720 from a Phantom and are $139 btw.
If you buy Eachine, make sure you buy them from a source with easy returns. I have a set of Eachine Goggles One and although they are nice, the display edge fits into a slot inside the goggle, and that covers half of the DJI GO telemetry data at the top and bottom of the display screen. Flying race quads would likely be OK, but for DJI these aren't compatible, unless they have fixed this problem somehow in Goggle 2. Let me know your findings if you buy those.

Yuneec Skyviews hit my nose with a sharp edge, and I don't have a big nose. I think they were designed for flatter noses. I had to send mine back.

I have the p4 with the new HD3's.

Thanks for the input, I think I will avoid them. If I and going to settle for SD quality from my HD camera maybe I will buy the Skyzone Sky02's and at least get a 3d camera to play with on my other quad.
I dont see how they get away with calling it HD either, but on their site it'd awfully suspicious that it not mentioned anywhere about what the actual resolution is, you have to download the manual to find out its 800x600 svga...so the Dominator v3's and the HD3's all have the same resolution, obviously an HDMI hookup will bemore clear than the 5.8 tansmission. but it's still 120 lines short of HD.

It stinks that it would squish the image too, I get so aggravated at squished images....dont folk's know they are looking at a distorted image?

Fatshark is 800x600 (each screen) 42degrees fov
Skyzone is 854x480 (each screen) 30 degrees fov

If you buy Eachine, make sure you buy them from a source with easy returns.

I dont want to buy them, but I am thinking about buying a set from Banggood, since they are on sale for $139. I will probably use my Nvidia tablet feed instead of the HDMI on the controller.

My wife is talking me up everynight about wanting to fly her Hubsan501s via fpv. So I think I may buy these until somebody actually creates a true hd "race" goggle.

I was reading about using an analog to hdmi reciever with some glyphs, but it's about $900 for the setup, not worth it to me.
Glyphs are for movies imo, not flying.

In case folks are looking for a review of the Eachine

I have the Fatshark HD3 and did the HDMI upgrade on my Phantom 4.
Although the picture is not as good as Headplay, I think it has a good picture when flying.
The HD3 is small and light. I can use it for my small inductrix or maybe if I want to race drones some day !
Although I have my pilot license and got my part 107 license, I have only been flying my P4 for 6 months.
I have learned a lot from this Forum ! Thanks!

I having a great time !

Pete

In my opinion the best results in HDMI fpv for Phantom 4 I obtain with Walkera Goggle 3. The ratio is 4/3 and the image is sharpeness and very good. I love my Walkera Goggle 3. The battery is inside the goggles and the charger was your smartphone charger. The finiture was very fine.

Last edited:
If you buy Eachine, make sure you buy them from a source with easy returns. I have a set of Eachine Goggles One and although they are nice, the display edge fits into a slot inside the goggle, and that covers half of the DJI GO telemetry data at the top and bottom of the display screen. Flying race quads would likely be OK, but for DJI these aren't compatible, unless they have fixed this problem somehow in Goggle 2. Let me know your findings if you buy those.

Yuneec Skyviews hit my nose with a sharp edge, and I don't have a big nose. I think they were designed for flatter noses. I had to send mine back.
I like my FlySight spexman2 goggles. And I also have head plays.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

IMO, the specs don't tell the whole story. Yes, the Headplays are like 72 degrees, and very clear. Immersive to the point where people can get dizzy and ill. I must say, they 'tax' my brain--not a complaint, just an observation of what happens after I use them. The Spexmans' are 30 degrees. But the Flysights have a front camera that at least i can see in front of me.

That front camera has made a huge difference for me, as I usually fly alone. I can switch cameras full screen at any time (I can make the front camera the whole screen, and put the FPV camera as small (picture in picture), and see what's going on around me. The "lower quality" FOV and clarity do NOT bother me--as I feared they would.

And, when I fly, I usually know *in advance* whereabouts I want to go. I check it out on Google Earth, and maps. That is because I don't want any surprises with my expensive toy. Then I give some "visual thought" (I imagine the flight in total) what I want to see, take pictures of, and "how" I want to fly the mission. For example, I like to fly 'sideways' past some things, and 'orbit' (all manually done) around other things. I try to stay away from facing the sunlight with the camera.

Honestly, I can see just fine with the SPX02's (and I need corrective lenses [nearsighted] and have an astigmatism, and do not use diopters in either goggle). Note with the Headplays you can wear some types of glasses. My glasses do fit in the headplays, but I'm more comfortable without them. I cannot think of one time where I missed the FOV or clarity of the headplays, but when I wear the Headplays I am constantly listening for activity around me. I can pack the SPX02's, but not the Headplays.

This is a nice thread about the different qualities of the googles. I'm interested in setting this up for my Phantom 4.
Three questions. I 've searched the web but can't find answer:
1.) Do you hook the SPX02 directly to the HDMI?
2.) I realize they have a 5.8 gHZ receiver for HDMI...if using the HDMI port do you remove the antenna?
3.) How do you convert the HDMI output to a 5.8gHZ signal if you don't want a direct wire?

If this is covered elsewhere, I apologize, but a simple repost would be helpful for those of us trying to get his information.

I learned through a very bad day (where I had a small crash) that HDMI adapters can create "no signal" in these goggles, hence I went out and purchased mini HDMI to mini HDMI cables to prevent that from happening again.

Also, that the SPX02's can have their DC power plug go in two ways: one way works, one does not, but you don't know that until you have no signal. (a little exasperating).

BTW the SPX02's take standard FatShark batteries (they come with their own 3s battery, and it's fine, I just wanted a backup battery.

If you purchase SPX02's on Amazon, and aren't happy, you can return them at least.

I hope this answers your questions. BTW: "Basement Hangout" on YouTube did a good job on explaining Headplays; check it out. I bought Headplays based on this.

Eachine goggle 2 are the same as headplays, just cheaper. Hdmi and 5.8 with a 1080 capable screen. Both are so ridiculously large that its impossible to travel with them. There really is a void for goggles that are 5.8 and hdmi with actual HD screens inside if them. I have researched nearly every brand and have yet to find a "goggle" style that does this, only face boxes do this. Kinda dissapointing that Fatshark or dji havent yet done this since Dji has their own line of racing quads which use 5.8. DJI has its goggle but its not compatible with their own quads...........sigh

This is a nice thread about the different qualities of the googles. I'm interested in setting this up for my Phantom 4.
Three questions. I 've searched the web but can't find answer:
1.) Do you hook the SPX02 directly to the HDMI?
2.) I realize they have a 5.8 gHZ receiver for HDMI...if using the HDMI port do you remove the antenna?
3.) How do you convert the HDMI output to a 5.8gHZ signal if you don't want a direct wire?

If this is covered elsewhere, I apologize, but a simple repost would be helpful for those of us trying to get his information.

As far as i know, you cannot tap into the 5.8 frequency with goggles.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik