ESC status error after hard contact with tree and a few seconds in shallow water

Reaction score
Yes... I flew Phantom 3 Advanced into tree and it came down into shallow (about 4 inches of water near shore) water where I grabbed it less than 3 seconds later. Anyway, now getting "ESC status error. Restart aircraft." Searching internet and this forum suggest ESC errors might come from bad motors and/or bad motherboards. Anyone know how to figure out which (if either)? I am willing to give replacement parts a go, but would like some hint at which part is likely the problem. If I start guessing, with my luck, it will be wrong. Any troubleshooting to figure out if motherboard? If it is one of the motors, which one?

Believe me - if you went into water .............. and you now have ESC error ........... I would not be optimistic about this. Water is NOT your friend.

If it was me and most is still working - I would have DJI do the repairs - you have no idea what damage that water has done ... if that water is not clean FRESH WATER - then it can short out any electrical parts it contacts ...

My P3S went into FW river ... totalled .. not economic to repair. I only managed to salvage the motors ... and near a year later one has failed as well .. leaving my Quad 450 grounded ... which I transferred them to.

Its my opinion ...

Nigel

The most likely issue will be fried FET in the inverter stage if the ESC. Don’t worry too much about the water putting you permanently out of action, the PCB is very well coated so unless it’s salt water all will be good....

Reactions: quaddamage
Btw, you can look at pictures of every board within the bird here:

THANK YOU for that link! A real Treasure Trove of information!

I've always wanted to see inside without having to pop the top on mine.

My P3P is solid at the moment, but you never can tell... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic