ESC Error with external battery

Reaction score
Context:

I sank my p4 (compass error on takeoff and right off the dock into the water). Dried it all off and took everything apart. Reassembled and nothing worked. I figured it might also be a batt problem since when I dove down 10 ft to get, it still had the motor lights on. Batt lights worked on it after it dried but still wouldn’t turn on. Since I only have 1 battery for this, I just soldered to leads to the esc batt lines on the rear battery board in the p4. The batt voltage was correct (which is annoying it wouldn’t turn on) so I connected the leads and everything worked, gimbal, sensors, etc (the sonar sensors make a slight hum but lets leave that alone for now). The problem is only that all esc are giving me an error. With our with them plugged in.

Question:

Does the p4 give esc errors if not powering from the smart battery (I have the batt voltage plugged into a solder tap for testing via two wires)? I can unplug 1 esc or both of them from the controller board and I still get all 4 esc errors. I don’t have another batt for this p4 so don’t want to buy one unless is might be worth is.

Was it salt water or not?
And this is rather peculiar that the compass error makes the drone to fly into the water. It has nothing to do with the altitude.

Fresh water.
I was on a dock with steel girders under the wood and they are spaced only every 6 feet or so. when I took off (and it said caution Compass interference) I was immediately severely tilted and by the time I hit elevator up I was leaning too much and into the water she went.
I’ve had the compass error before on the girders but I move 2 feet away and then takeoff and it disappears. It was a pretty dumb way to lose it.
Easily avoidable but my fault..

It was still on (not the motor turning) when I dove 10 ft down about 5 min later to get it). Never crashed it before and flew fine every time. It only had about 10 flights on it. Just been sitting on my shelf since new.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31