does anybody know if you cut your controller off when flying a dji phantom 3 se what it will do since you have it set to return to home?

Reaction score
I have never cut my controller off but I have seen people do it, In mid flight, I have the pro so I didn't know lol,

and have yall seen the new mavic pro zoom Im looking into getting it here very soon!!

Hi Phantom3cody

Don't be afraid to try it, but always after you hear the announcement that the "home point has been set", then as part of my battery warm up routine for my Phantom 3, I fly her sedately 50 yards out at say 50 feet with RTH set at 100 feet, hover and then then turn off controller. you will see the drone begin to climb, and then begin the RTH, switch on controller, allow it to finish its startup routine ( 5 secs ) then you can cancel RTH and take over.

Reactions: Phantom3cody
Powering down the remote controller will initiate Failsafe RTH (see below). Using the default settings in DJI GO, the Phantom will fly home and land. If the Phantom is not able to use the GPS data for some reason (e.g. poor GPS signal or compass failure), the Phantom will auto land at its current location instead of attempting to return home.

1544445157361.png

Hi Phantom3cody

Don't be afraid to try it, but always after you hear the announcement that the "home point has been set", then as part of my battery warm up routine for my Phantom 3, I fly her sedately 50 yards out at say 50 feet with RTH set at 100 feet, hover and then then turn off controller. you will see the drone begin to climb, and then begin the RTH, switch on controller, allow it to finish its startup routine ( 5 secs ) then you can cancel RTH and take over.
I have always wanted to try it

Yep. Have switched-off my r/c on all my birds when they were a few hundred yards away at a safe altitude. Both initiated RTH as designed and headed home.

Only caution I’d like to give is to be 100% sure of your RTH settings before doing this. A preflight checklist should have been completed before takeoff to ensure all essential aspects of any flight are set correctly.

It’s not fun to initiate RTH and have the bird fly off exploring on its own.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yep. Have switched-off my r/c on all my birds when they were a few hundred yards away at a safe altitude. Both initiated RTH as designed and headed home.

Only caution I’d like to give is to be 100% sure of your RTH settings before doing this. A preflight checklist should have been completed before takeoff to ensure all essential aspects of any flight are set correctly.

It’s not fun to initiate RTH and have the bird fly off exploring on its own.

Absolutely have tried it a number of times with each of my AC, to me it’s like not trying your brakes hard on a car until there is an accident - do it, know what to expect, good pilots don’t assume [emoji6].

I've done it and yes the AC simply comes home. I've always turned the RC back on and took control back before the AC landed tho. I agree with everyone when they say its best to test all safety functions BEFORE you actually need them. The only RTH mode I havent tested yet is low battery RTH and its not a function I ever want to test. Ive always landed with plenty of battery to spare.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I've done it and yes the AC simply comes home. I've always turned the RC back on and took control back before the AC landed tho. I agree with everyone when they say its best to test all safety functions BEFORE you actually need them. The only RTH mode I havent tested yet is low battery RTH and its not a function I ever want to test. Ive always landed with plenty of battery to spare.
Low or smart battery RTH is fine and I’ve found it to be quite conservative. You can disable it although you are never really sure if the trip out encountered varied winds and the return trip may be iffy as calculated by the ‘smart’ battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic