DJI SERVICE IS NOT HONEST...or are they just overwhelmed?

What was your service event like?

• Total voters
Reaction score
June 22nd sent in Phantom 4 pro for repair on the camera. The mechanical shutter didn't work and the horizon couldn't be corrected. The aircraft flew great. flying was really amazing. Nothing wrong with the my aircraft at all. The issue was only in the camera and associated parts.

Several days after them having the aircraft they evaluated it and said there was damage to more than 8 parts including parts of the case, a motor, antenna and landing gear damage. The gave me an estimate of $178 and said that it was not covered by warranty. Clearly they were not looking at the right aircraft. 11 calls later and hours of time on the phone and they persisted in saying there was damage. Finally after I pleaded with them to look at the serial numbers, find the correct (mine) aircraft and re-evaluate the situation they came to a different conclusion. After pleading and jumping up and down they agreed to re-evaluate my situation. Their findings finally agreed with mine. They said the evaluation technician was writing about a different aircraft than mine. They finally fixed (so they say) the camera issue and declared no charge because it was covered under warranty. THIS WAS THE SAME THING I HAD BEEN SAYING THROUGH HOURS OF SPEAKING TO THEM. Maddening, just maddening.

I was called a liar and they also told to look at it from their end. The moral of the story is that they don't listen to logic or reason and it took a lot of words on my part to make this right. I maintain that they do this as a way to make more money. They tell you there is damage that isn't covered so they can charge for what would normally be a warranty repair. Then they fight you about about it until you just give up. NOT ME. I was a very squeaky wheel that wouldn't go away. If all of you fight like I did, for a just resolution, they will have too many calls to handle and maybe they'll get the picture. I'm not holding my breath.

BUYER BEWARE, DJI is using very bad tactics to get your money. DJI makes great flying machines but their service and support is absolutely not customer centric. DJI service and support is DJI centric.

I still don't have this back even though the repair only took one day. If the delivery is made on Tuesday they will have taken three weeks to turn this repair around when they admittedly just needed one day for the repair.

DJI NEEDS TO COMPLETELY OVERHAUL THEIR WAY OF DEALING WITH PAYING CUSTOMERS.

This was also posted in the DJI forum. Has this happened to you before or are you just assuming that it happens to everyone who sends in something for repair. Need more evidence to come to a logical conclusion.

Reactions: TMM777
This was also posted in the DJI forum. Has this happened to you before or are you just assuming that it happens to everyone who sends in something for repair. Need more evidence to come to a logical conclusion.
Gosh i think it happens to 90% of us ,dji care bad ,dji just out for a dollar it seems, dji also needs to sort there crap out ,sorry but i almost had enough,i want to fly ,i cant what a joke,,im in two minds wether to pour petrol on phantoms and just burn ,at least i be warm,now :(unhappy flyer

Reactions: TMM777
I think once DJI gets some more competition in the "pro-sumer" market things will get better. If there were 5-6 companies making drones in the $500-$2000 range, DJI would be *forced* to provide better service.

Absolutely right. Yet I can't help but think that if they were to get their act together in the service/support department they would be untouchable in the category. If their after sales customer contact was superb a competitor would have a very difficult time competing. DJI as a technology company is outperforming everyone with their product. If they only realized they just need one more puzzle piece to completely own the market.

Is it possible that their corporate ego is that they think they are good enough? It almost seems so, doesn't it?

I posted the same thing in both places hoping that DJI would take notice. I'm holding my breath.

Absolutely right. Yet I can't help but think that if they were to get their act together in the service/support department they would be untouchable in the category. If their after sales customer contact was superb a competitor would have a very difficult time competing. DJI as a technology company is outperforming everyone with their product. If they only realized they just need one more puzzle piece to completely own the market.

Is it possible that their corporate ego is that they think they are good enough? It almost seems so, doesn't it?

Please vote in the poll above.

I can see that you disagree with me. I have 12 hours of time on the phone with them about this one repair. It is my first repair. I am not assuming anything about anyone else's experience. I am simply stating the facts of my interaction. Is it your position that I am an isolated case? Based on just a little reading I can see that I'm not.

Nice try. Great is better than what you suggested. There is no rigging here. It is just for fun.
Nice try how? I was having a bit of fun also- clearly you haven't had a great experience with DJI on this occasion but it will seemingly have a happy ending.

People have bad experiences with all brands at times it seems and they are the most discussed in forums (significantly more frequently than the good ones).

Btw- excellent is usually taken to mean exceptional or of the highest quality while great is simply somewhere above average.

I would certainly agree that DJI customer service can be frustrating, they are hard to get hold of and the communication can be difficult. They have made good on the warranty issues I had however.

You need to add a "very good" and "excellent" button to your poll. It is rigged against DJI at the moment.
I wholeheartedly agree :)

OK should be middle road and if 3 levels of negatives then 3 levels of positives should be included.

This is why I will never going to buy a brand new DJI drone. I have a phantom 3 standard and so far happy with it but I want more range and I am thinking in a refurbished phantom 3 advanced. I am not going to spend a lot of money in a company that does not provide good or honest customer services. I love their products but I do not trust their "warranty".

Mixed bag:

Event one: New Phantom 4 (standard, I had one of the pre orders) started flying erratic, hit a pole and flipped into a river. It sat on the bootom for months before divers were able to recover it. It had mussels on it it had been down for so long. I called DJI tech support (who at the time were real human beings that actually answered the phone after only a short to no wait and were even based in the US and were native English speakers, I think I may have even reached an actual tech) explained what happened and was asked to send it in. They denied a warranty repair, insisting the crash was pilot error and not the eratic drone (but it should also be pointed out that the onboard data was unrecoverable, they had to have me sinc my flight data to get anything at all), however they did replace it under DJI care (even though water damage was not covered at the time) at no cost. I was only out the cost of a new battery, Micro SD card, and propellers. Turn around was quick and I was very impressed with their service.

Event 2: The Z Axis for my Osmo+ was factory defective. I attempted to call tech support and got a recording telling me to use the website, which insisted I send an Email (if you have ever had the "pleasure" of EMailing DJI you will know why this is impossible, messages take about 3 days at a minimum to be answered, and then it will be an automated response that doesn't even answer the question asked, responding will get another 3 day wait than a slightly better response in badly translated English, actually getting the answdr takes several more attempts before you get an actual coherent English answer that actually addresses the auestion asked), or use the web chat. The web chat was useless, though I was finally given a number to call an actual human. That call got me a 45 minute wait on hold before I got someone with an obvious Chinese accent and neither of us could understand each other well. I had to go through several such calls before I finally got a return label sent to me (initially they insisted that I pay return shipping out of my own pocket), this despite informing them I was on a time crunch. The email with the label arrived too late though. When I finally got it sent in the turn around time was nearly 3 weeks, which just consisted of them sending me a new unit.

Event 3: I wanted answers concerning the new dynamic NFZ update that was about to come out. No one answered the phone, just like the last time and I got the same recording again. Email was again not an option so I got to deal with the buggy web chat that kept crashing. After a half a dozen different reps I finally got one who insisted that the update would not effect NFZs in any way, he of course lied.

Sometime after the Phantom 4 was released their tech support turned to [EXPLETIVE REMOVED].

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometime after the Phantom 4 was released their tech support turned to ****.
Totally agreed. You will think that a company like DJI making more money than before will invest in improving the customer services experience. Nope!

You need to add a "very good" and "excellent" button to your poll. It is rigged against DJI at the moment.

Needs to have 5 option to properly gauge feedback temperature of experiences.

#1 being excellent #3 being neutral and #5 being horrible.

There always has to be a neutral "middle ground" in order to prevent biased polls.

Probably russian interference is at work here.

Reactions: BigAl07
I can see that you disagree with me. I have 12 hours of time on the phone with them about this one repair. It is my first repair. I am not assuming anything about anyone else's experience. I am simply stating the facts of my interaction. Is it your position that I am an isolated case? Based on just a little reading I can see that I'm not.

I agree that it can be very frustrating to deal with their technical support but I disagree with your conclusion that DJI claimed extensive damage not covered under warranty to make more money. You stated that your aircraft was fixed under warranty after you finally convinced them to compare the serial numbers. Are you claiming that they fabricated the story of mistaking your aircraft with another aircraft with extensive damage, or did they genuinely make a mistake in your case?

Reactions: BigAl07
I agree that it can be very frustrating to deal with their technical support but I disagree with your conclusion that DJI claimed extensive damage not covered under warranty to make more money. You stated that your aircraft was fixed under warranty after you finally convinced them to compare the serial numbers. Are you claiming that they fabricated the story of mistaking your aircraft with another aircraft with extensive damage, or did they genuinely make a mistake in your case?

Test flight showed that the two issues I sent my drone in for were not fixed. The mechanical shutter is still erratic and randomly failing and the horizon is still unlevel. So, DJI is zero for two. Not a good batting average. Three weeks no change.

Have you performed a gimble and IMU calibration? What is the apparent issue with the shutter? In what circumstances does it occur and what are the symptoms?

Have you performed a gimble and IMU calibration? What is the apparent issue with the shutter? In what circumstances does it occur and what are the symptoms?
Post repair I treated this like a brand new drone.
I did both calibrations twice. No change.
Mechanical shutter over exposes 6+ stops. File is unusable in raw because of severe overexposure (blown out). Jpeg is affected too but I don't tend to shoot a jpeg. Shooting with mechanical shutter off yields perfectly exposed raw files or jpgs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers