DJI Phantom 4 Motor is making an awful sound.

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was out flying today and I am feeling SUPER concerned about my drone. It flew fine, i flew 3 batteries on it while it was making this noise!! I do remember seeing a lot of bugs on my FPV screen, and when I flew back my drone had a bunch of bug stains. I don't know if that had something to do with this or not, but I'm really sad to say that one of my motors is making a weird noise when I flick it or when it lands and the props are turning off. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to send my drone to drone purgatory (DJI repair center HQ in LA) where it will sit there for 1 month, plus. I made a video so you guys can listen to what I'm talking about.

"

That sounds scary!! Really couldn't say for sure what it wrong with it.
If I were you, will change the motor for a new one.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Bad ball bearings...? Can you exchange it?

Bad ball bearings...? Can you exchange it?

Do you think that's forsure what it is??? argh! I got it from a camera shop called "Samy's Camera" I don't think they'll honor that. I am going to be calling the DJI repair center in California to see if I can send it to them and hopefully get an expedited turn around date so that I can have my drone back..

I'm super bummed. The thing that gets me is that it flys just fine! I flew out 15,000 feet today for a distance test out in a canyon. I feel like continuing to fly with it like that is irresponsible though.

I agree with your assessment, if it is making that noise I would not feel comfortable flying it as well. If it fails in flight you will have expensive bits of plastic.

Don't sound good dude. Be good if these birds were more modular so we could switch parts easier without voiding warranty. Hope you get it sorted and back in the air soon.

I tested it a bunch today in my house to see if the motors feel abnormally warm or hot and to listen for any odd sounds and I couldn't hear anything abnormal! Argh! Kind of frustrating. I feel like I still should totally fly it.

I tested it a bunch today in my house to see if the motors feel abnormally warm or hot and to listen for any odd sounds and I couldn't hear anything abnormal! Argh! Kind of frustrating. I feel like I still should totally fly it.

Currently you have just a possible bad motor. Flying it could lead to worse.

Reactions: Merkoose
At high speed of the motor is working, the shaft is finding its own "center" unsupported by the bearings but this could lead to motor overheating and ceasing. Do not fly it like that.

Reactions: Merkoose
If it was me i would just buy a replacement motor and you will be back in the air. Sending it back for warranty will just mean you loose it for a while. Surely the motors aren't that expensive. But that just me :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj