Distance Limits

Reaction score
I just bought a Phantom 2, the sales man set default at 125 m for max height and Radius,

Today i changed the height to 300 m, is it ok ? and what worth can happen ? loosing control or ?

First it depends on where you are flying and what the restrictions are.

From a flying standpoint, depends on what you have, like FPV.
125M is a good distance to start out, 125M high might be overkill.

You'll have a hard time telling orientation at 125, no way at 300.

Once you get the hang of it, there are a lot of people doing crazy distances.

Reactions: Bachir Moukarzel
I just bought a Phantom 2, the sales man set default at 125 m for max height and Radius,

Today i changed the height to 300 m, is it ok ? and what worth can happen ? loosing control or ?

If you live in the US there are no restrictions regarding altitude/radius but the FAA has requested altitude be no higher than 400' and fly within LOS (line of sight).

If you live outside the US it's best you learn what the rules are in the country in which you live.

Reactions: Bachir Moukarzel
i live in Dubai and no law for drones yet, but soon they will issue,,, i guess i will stick with the 150 m for some times and the try to increase later

Australia the legal height is about 120m above ground level (or thereabouts) I believe.
No idea in Dubai.

300m radius seems pretty small, but it depends if you're flying LOS or FPV. I'd imagine 300m LOS would be getting pretty hard to tell orientation if it's LOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to bear in mind wherever you are is what the minimum height other aircraft are allowed to fly down to at the location you are flying. Always best to allow some separation.

If you fly line of sight and go to far you will lose your bird. I put navigation strobe lights on mine, and can see them at long distance even in day light. If you dont want to go in side the shell you can wire the lights up with a 9 volt battery and Velcro the battery to the shell. This is what I did.

If you fly line of sight and go to far you will lose your bird. I put navigation strobe lights on mine, and can see them at long distance even in day light. If you dont want to go in side the shell you can wire the lights up with a 9 volt battery and Velcro the battery to the shell. This is what I did.
any pics or part numbers you used of this strobe?
I am interested in doing this.

i live in Dubai and no law for drones yet, but soon they will issue,,, i guess i will stick with the 150 m for some times and the try to increase later
You really should keep your drone in sight. Over 100 meters it's very difficult to understand where it's pointing and heights should not be over 100 meters, at least at the beginning. I know Dubai very well. If you fly that thing in 40+ celsius under that blasting sun don't expect the electronic to work always well.

Restrict your height to what ever, but max out your radius to 9999999999.
Though not proven, this will minimise the chance of a flyaway. If for some reason, the phantom thinks its outside of the geo fence, it will try to fly back into the geo fence.
Another will be if you happen to be sitting on a boat with Dynamic home point activated and you happen to move outside the fence, you will lose half your controls. When it's outside the fence, only rudder and throttle controls are available. Full control is returned when back its back in the fence. On a side note, if this ever happens, switch to ATTI to regain control (ATTI will still have height restrictions).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj