Reaction score
I'll preface by saying... I'm NOT attempting to circumvent FAA recommendations so please don't chastise me for asking this question without seeing & understanding the context.

I'm standing near the base of a +2,000-ft mountain and launching my P3P. I want to fly up the side of the mountain without rising more than 400-ft above the ground DIRECTLY BELOW the aircraft. However, since it's basing it's AGL altitude on the spot from which it launched, I can't climb any higher than 1,664-ft (500 meters).

Is there a way to override this setting in the DJI app? or do I have to switch to Litche in order to accomplish my goal?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!!!

-Scoop

Reactions: air kuld
I had this happen by accident for a short period, several updates ago. I could just fly right through 120m, even though that was what the max was set for. I only noticed it a couple of times, since I wasn't usually that high. Unfortunately, I don't know what the firmware numbers were!

Contact DJI and see if they can help you.

Reactions: Newbieguy
Never tried it, but what if a mission were set in Litchi: edit waypoints/set waypoints relative to ground.

While we are very much not discussing hacks here, there are places where these are discussed.

Flight limit is imposed within the Flight Controller firmware, which contains a list of Flight Parameters with bounding values of each of these parameters.
Altitude limit is bound to 500m there. I'm not saying you could change it, just that it's there.

Reactions: air kuld
There were reports of being able to circumvent by initiating RTH and then forcing it to climb ... plus other stupid suggestions ...

I tried all of them I found (in a safe location) .... none worked at all ...

Nigel

Reactions: Flybynite
As has been said time and time again - it there for a reason, which is safety, otherwise we'd have idiots trying to fly close to and amongst airliners, causing absolute havoc and really endangering lives and, in the process, killing the hobby for many and the livelihoods for a few.

Reactions: Texas Gonzo
Yes Flying higher than set max is not advisable especially where I live, right under a Int'l airport approach. But this might work. Fly up to mountain at highest max alt. Land, take off again. Most likely finding a clear open area with signal would be difficult, but if the drone lands, then takes off again it's "New" max alt would be reset.

Reactions: Newbieguy
Fly up to mountain at highest max alt. Land, take off again. Most likely finding a clear open area with signal would be difficult, but if the drone lands, then takes off again it's "New" max alt would be reset.
Yeah, but you' need to reset the home point since the 500ft is relative to that. Which means you'll have to be very careful on RTH. Not saying it won't work - it will, just not with land and take off simplicity.

You are allowed to fly higher than 400 feet if you're within 400 feet of a structure that exceeds that limit. (I can't see why a mountain wouldn't fit that description) Then you're allowed to fly 400 feet above that level. (That's for benthinking08 in case he was unaware of that exception) Litchi will allow me to enter 900m as the maximum altitude AND 500m for the RTH when the controller and aircraft are disconnected but I've not tried to see if it will retain those values. DGI GO will not let you enter a number beyond 500m. I'm surprised Litchi doesn't behave similarly. There are mountains that high here but I don't have the nerve to attempt it. Even if you could, I think it would be a very short flight after having to climb that high.

You are allowed to fly higher than 400 feet if you're within 400 feet of a structure that exceeds that limit. (I can't see why a mountain wouldn't fit that description) Then you're allowed to fly 400 feet above that level. (That's for benthinking08 in case he was unaware of that exception)
I think you'll find you shouldn't be flying close to a structure and in any event, I don't believe what you're stating is correct. AFAIK, in the US it's 400ft max, no if or buts, just like it is here in the U.K.
Litchi will allow me to enter 900m as the maximum altitude AND 500m for the RTH when the controller and aircraft are disconnected but I've not tried to see if it will retain those values. DGI GO will not let you enter a number beyond 500m.
It won't exceed 500m - it's hard coded in the AC.

What if, you go to the top of the mountain, can't be too hard if its only 2000' and take off from there, would the A/C set that 2000' limit and you could fly higher from there? Just a thought, then you could film the mountain going down and reverse the video so it looks like you're flying up.;)

Terry

Reactions: JoBe and EyeInStein
It can't be overridden in the app because that is set in the firmware of the drone. If you know anything about firmware then you know the answer to your question. Google is your friend.

Reactions: aka1ceman
bla ... bla ... always scattered and elusive bla bla about these limits.

PH3P (with added LiHV 4000 mAh or two smaller units splitted).
Last flight, two days ago, around high wild mountains, far from people, towns, airports, etc, ... sometimes near to eagles and other birds: take-off point 900 m, flight up at 2600 m.
3 km far from HP, also with a bit too much of wind against during the outward.
Flight time about 25 minutes, about 15% remaining power when landed at HP.

This is possible (not so easy), I say normal with the right hardware and software, but need knowledge (hidden here and not only here).
I do not say more, want just to point out something on this argument, hated here.
You can do almost the same with other DJI drones and of course with self made drones, but obviously with a lot more difficulties.

The Earth is not flat, the restrictions, as are wrote and conceived today by general regulatories, is a wide nonsense in many place of this planet, even if have a very understandable base, related to security, but a curse for who needs to do this for various necessities and works that do no harm or risk to others.

What if, you go to the top of the mountain, can't be too hard if its only 2000' and take off from there, would the A/C set that 2000' limit and you could fly higher from there? Just a thought, then you could film the mountain going down and reverse the video so it looks like you're flying up.;)

Terry
Good plan and its still below the max service ceiling of 6000m.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic