What if, you go to the top of the mountain, can't be too hard if its only 2000' and take off from there, would the A/C set that 2000' limit and you could fly higher from there?

It's not a viable solution.
Yes, theoretically it can work, but you have to find a landing point absolutely safe, flat and always in sight, so a lot far away, not near the mountain.
The high risk of losing the signal with your drone immediately after the landing because the antennas on the legs are shielded by elements present at that point, stones, plants, grass, even small rocks, of which it can not be established with certainty even after repeated previous flights and hoverings, their precise size and height.
Generally the mountains do not have favorable places to do this, they should be made like the pyramids of Egypt.
It's also the high risk that the drone will laterally banks, upsetting at landing if the surface is slightly inclined and has detritus rocks and there is wind.
Potentially solvable if you add large extensions to landing gears, longer rigid legs and extended to the outside, or large lightweight elements made of expanded polystyrene.
However still something that can easly take to a point of not return, maybe good for a very very limited kind of locations.

Flew a Litchi waypoint mission today up the side of a 1000' hill. Set my waypoints for 350' AGL. The waypoint at the top of the hill was 1350'.

When I attempted to load the mission to the aircraft it failed. Reason given "one or more waypoints above max altitude". Checked, and sure enough, my max altitude was set to 948'. Tried to change it to 1700'. No dice. But, I could change it to 1,664' (500m). So, yes, the aircraft flight controller limits you to 500m.

Reactions: VegasFlyer
I think you'll find you shouldn't be flying close to a structure and in any event, I don't believe what you're stating is correct. AFAIK, in the US it's 400ft max, no if or buts, just like it is here in the U.K..

Sorry, but you're wrong.

upload_2017-10-23_2-26-1.png

Taken from:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/faa-uas-part107-flyer.pdf

What if, you go to the top of the mountain, can't be too hard if its only 2000' and take off from there, would the A/C set that 2000' limit and you could fly higher from there? Just a thought, then you could film the mountain going down and reverse the video so it looks like you're flying up.;)

Terry

Here's a post I made a while back. The first line is the thread name if you care to see the replies. I haven't yet revisited the issue.

-------------------------------------
Litchi -- Takeoff Altitude Too High Redux

My home is about 2250 feet above sea level and I routinely take off at altitudes of 2700+. I've flown waypoint missions taking off at around 2720 feet with an above ground clearance of 165 feet without a problem. Yesterday I went to a scenic spot that had a take off altitude of 3850 feet and Litchi gave me "Takeoff Altitude Too High" error. I checked the maximum altitude setting and it was at 500m (1640 feet). My maximum mission altitude was to be 4865 feet (the height of the peak is 4700 feet) and Google Earth shows an elevation gain of 1239 feet. (see map) This shouldn't be a problem. I had no problem flying manually up to 730 feet AGL at that location. I've taken my P3P up to 1300 feet AGL manually (4220 feet above sea level). I know the P3P uses barometric pressure but there should be no difference between manual and autonomous flight. In my opinion this is a bug in Litchi. The maximum altitude setting will allow you to enter values of at least 600m but I haven't tried taking off with this setting.

Thoughts on this issue?

-------------------------------------

I think my DJI GO max altitude setting may have been lower than Litchi's. I haven't gone back to the area to recheck.

Last edited:
I think you'll find you shouldn't be flying close to a structure and in any event,...

That's a personal opinion that doesn't take into account the legitimate reasons for being allowed to do so. However, allowing a drone to fly above 400 feet while within 400 feet of a structure makes perfect sense.
  1. Aircraft aren't allowed within 400 feet of a structure largely because of their size. I sure wouldn't want to be a jet that's 400 feet from a building or a mountain top. Are there exceptions? Probably, but I doubt there are many outside of extreme emergency situations. (think helicopters)
  2. Because drones are small, they can perform tasks that previously required large ground-based equipment (cranes and such) and a high possibility of death or injury. With drones it is now easy to inspect towers, smokestacks, powerlines,etc., without harming the person hanging on for dear life at the top.

You are allowed to fly higher than 400 feet if you're within 400 feet of a structure that exceeds that limit. (I can't see why a mountain wouldn't fit that description) Then you're allowed to fly 400 feet above that level.
This only applies to those flying under Part 107. For those who are flying under hobby flight, there is no 400' limit. It's only a recommendation.

I'll preface by saying... I'm NOT attempting to circumvent FAA recommendations so please don't chastise me for asking this question without seeing & understanding the context.

I'm standing near the base of a +2,000-ft mountain and launching my P3P. I want to fly up the side of the mountain without rising more than 400-ft above the ground DIRECTLY BELOW the aircraft. However, since it's basing it's AGL altitude on the spot from which it launched, I can't climb any higher than 1,664-ft (500 meters).

Is there a way to override this setting in the DJI app? or do I have to switch to Litche in order to accomplish my goal?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!!!

-Scoop
Nope no way can/t go and get a hack can't talk hacks here i hear . so you're sol

bla ... bla ... always scattered and elusive bla bla about these limits.

PH3P (with added LiHV 4000 mAh or two smaller units splitted).
Last flight, two days ago, around high wild mountains, far from people, towns, airports, etc, ... sometimes near to eagles and other birds: take-off point 900 m, flight up at 2600 m.
3 km far from HP, also with a bit too much of wind against during the outward.
Flight time about 25 minutes, about 15% remaining power when landed at HP.

This is possible (not so easy), I say normal with the right hardware and software, but need knowledge (hidden here and not only here).
I do not say more, want just to point out something on this argument, hated here.
You can do almost the same with other DJI drones and of course with self made drones, but obviously with a lot more difficulties.

The Earth is not flat, the restrictions, as are wrote and conceived today by general regulatories, is a wide nonsense in many place of this planet, even if have a very understandable base, related to security, but a curse for who needs to do this for various necessities and works that do no harm or risk to others.

I'm crushed, first there was no Easter Bunny, then there was no Santa Clause and now I find out the earth isn't flat ! Oh the pain, the pain ..............

I'm crushed, first there was no Easter Bunny, then there was no Santa Clause and now I find out the earth isn't flat ! Oh the pain, the pain ..............
What, No way, no Rudolph.

Mission Hub - Litchi

Waypoint #13 is pointed at where the road splits. That was my goal, I could not get to that exact spot using 100 meter AGL. 500m limit kept blocking my mission settings so I had to stay below 500m and re-route to get a view of the intersection. I flew this mission as is from my house.
It did work, but not what I had in mind.

No fiction just the facts.

Rod

......... but wait, do not complain so much right now, my child ... because you are a poor child, right?
You just started to feel pain, you'll continue to be beaten down many, many times and a lot more during your long life, so now save your breath to don't die before your time.

Mission Hub - Litchi

Waypoint #13 is pointed at where the road splits. That was my goal, I could not get to that exact spot using 100 meter AGL. 500m limit kept blocking my mission settings so I had to stay below 500m and re-route to get a view of the intersection. I flew this mission as is from my house.

Rod

Great video! I miss the PNW. It may be wet but it sure as hell beats the desert! :( Anyway, what is your take-off altitude? What is the max altitude along the route? Did you have the max altitude in DJI GO set to 500m? Did you use Google Earth to plot the path first and then import into Litchi Hub? You've been here longer than I have but I just thought I'd ask. ;)

Mission Hub - Litchi

Rod

Ok, I went to Litchi Hub and pulled up your mission. Altitude at Waypoint #1 is ~1070'. Altitude at Waypoint #13 is ~2404'. Now, the altitude where the 3 roads meet is ~2500' (higher as you drift NE) for a difference of ~1430'. That's not a lot of room to play with. What are you using as an above ground limit? You may be able to squeeze by with 150'. I'd try pulling up Litchi on your iPad/iPhone and go to Batch Waypoint Settings, Select All, Edit and set the value to 150 relative to Ground and see what that does for you.

Edit: This may or may not work as Google Earth has no idea of tree height.

Reactions: RodPad
I'm using 100m (330)' to start with all my missions around my house. Then tweaking from there, I found a 220' pine in February, it wasn't pretty.

It was working in the tree until the battery went dead, I could pick up the Marco Polo signal in my garage. :rolleyes:

When it came down it was in 5 pieces. :(

I create in Mission Hub, download the .csv,

Then use
Convert Litchi .csv file to .kml with elevation
to convert it to Google Earth, If the CSV is in imperial it doesn't look correct. I fly the mission in imperial anyway.

Rod

I'm using 100m (330)' to start with all my missions around my house. Then tweaking from there, I found a 220' pine in February, it wasn't pretty.

It was working in the tree until the battery went dead, I could pick up the Marco Polo signal in my garage. :rolleyes:

When it came down it was in 5 pieces. :(

I create in Mission Hub, download the .csv,

Then use
Convert Litchi .csv file to .kml with elevation
to convert it to Google Earth, If the CSV is in imperial it doesn't look correct. I fly the mission in imperial anyway.

Rod

Ouch! BAD tree! Ok, so you're doing the reverse of what I do. I'll try your method with one of my previous missions and see if there's any difference. One thing you can try is fly to the lower side of that fork (maybe 50-60 feet SE) and enter a lower altitude value just for that Waypoint. That may get you over the hump.

I'll preface by saying... I'm NOT attempting to circumvent FAA recommendations so please don't chastise me for asking this question without seeing & understanding the context.

I'm standing near the base of a +2,000-ft mountain and launching my P3P. I want to fly up the side of the mountain without rising more than 400-ft above the ground DIRECTLY BELOW the aircraft. However, since it's basing it's AGL altitude on the spot from which it launched, I can't climb any higher than 1,664-ft (500 meters).

Is there a way to override this setting in the DJI app? or do I have to switch to Litche in order to accomplish my goal?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!!!

-Scoop

First you should have switched to Litchi a long time ago. Most of the DJI GO junk would not have occurred, or at least mine was not affected. I’m in a rural farming community with lots of room and have no problems with the superior app Litchi!
Good luck
Jim
Wa5tef

Mission Hub - Litchi

Rod

I placed 4 waypoints (1 and 4 are on your property) using my method to simulate your route and I come up with the following:

upload_2017-11-1_14-39-26.png

Waypoint #2 is your #13 and #3 is your #14. This is using an above ground altitude of 100m. Looks like it isn't going to work unless you set up #13 as you have it now. :( I tried your method of using that conversion page and I don't like it. You're right about the imperial values. Here is a link to a video that illustrates the method I use.
I trust it far more than that conversion page. Plus, you have the advantage of rotating the the map in 3d so you can see the changes in terrain height. Let me know if you any help.

Thanks, I have tried that method a few times, I get frustrated when I try changing my path while still using google earth, before I even import it to the hub.

My missions I create (at this point) are based on a location I can reach from my house and of coarse make it back. So the one you were looking at started with three way points.
#1 my home.
#2 the intersection.
#3 my home.
I then start adding and moving waypoints staying at the safe level of 100 meters above AGL with the hub. Focused on my flying time first, then altering the path for some sight seeing. :)

Kind of backwards compared to others are trying to do. :)

I will send a PM when I upload my latest crazy clip.

Rod

Reactions: VegasFlyer
Thanks, I have tried that method a few times, I get frustrated when I try changing my path while still using google earth, before I even import it to the hub.

My missions I create (at this point) are based on a location I can reach from my house and of coarse make it back. So the one you were looking at started with three way points.
#1 my home.
#2 the intersection.
#3 my home.
I then start adding and moving waypoints staying at the safe level of 100 meters above AGL with the hub. Focused on my flying time first, then altering the path for some sight seeing. :)

Kind of backwards compared to others are trying to do. :)

I will send a PM when I upload my latest crazy clip.

Rod

When I get some time, I'll write up a few tips for you on using Google Earth. It's easy once you get used to it. I might try to record a video of my screen for you. I'll take a look at the PM. Thanks!

Nope no way can/t go to and get a hack can't talk hacks here i hear . so you're sol
They claim their method doesnt work with P3.

Dont give up hope

2 options
1. Yes there is an older version of Litchi that was a work around for the height limit. But you had to use FW1.3.2 to be compatible. After I purchased Litchi, I emailed him and he sent me the old Litchi version that worked .
2. Use a special FW 1.7.6 (DJI forgot to encrypt this on when they released it and can be modified) **This option is a little better due to added features in the apps since 1.3.2, which is why I moved to 1.7.6

Here's the hardest part for those who updated....Roll back fw safely to either of the mentioned fw.

As of right now, my height limit is 6562 ft or 2000 m. And I have no NFZ.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie