How do you travel with your drone?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello Fellas, I am Tom and I love my drone!

I have spent several hours researching how to make my P4 fit in my current busy travel lifestyle so I can always have it with me. Work has me flying once or often twice a month.

I never check-in luggage so I carry a duffle bag (overhead compartment for clothes) and a messenger bag (under the seat in front of me with my valuables).
I wear slip ons shoes, no belt and a comfortable outfit (no, I don't fly in my PJs like I see some do) to minimize the discomfort. When I am lucky, I get a super good looking girl in the seat next to me (happened 4 times in 15 years, I dated one of them).

Compromise is ok but only if it yields significant advantages. I am willing to carry less clothes. If cold, I'll pack a North Face thin insulated jacket and buy t shirts at my destination which I will wear and throw away if I have to.

So, I looked at the DJI backpacks,, the Manfrotto D1, the Think Tank Helipak backpack, the Lowepro DroneGuard BP 450 AW and many others a few notches below which were terrible/ mediocre products (one of them has a name with "Abu" in it, the design is as bad as the marketing sounds).

Then I found the PolarPro Drone Trekker, which fits the Phantom 2, 3 and 4.
This was thanks to a fellow member whom also got one and posted a review to explain why he loved it.

I had a lot of fun arranging everything to take pictures to share with you all.
It also forced me to look at what really is essential.

The Drone Trekker is amazing, it's tight but it fits

- in the carry-on max dimensions for most airlines: 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm)
- two thin laptops (if you wanted to carry 2, a 13" and a 15" or smaller), a cell phone and iPad and their chargers.
- the P4 controller
- the P4 and its charger
- the DJI charging hub
- the 8 P4 propellers (and more if you wanted)
- the DJI sunshade (which is useless, don't waste your money)
- at least 3 extra DJI batteries for the P4 (I only have 2 extra)
- it has TSA-approved lock!
- it has many hooks and straps to be used to hang and carry a jacket, a thermos, a pair of shoes, anything you can think of.
- it has two side pockets to carry a bottle of water/ can x2
- a tripod (strapped and carried on the outside)
- it has a rain cover in the unlikely event you are caught in it while outside.
Anyone travels in SE Asia in rainy season? :)
- the side resting on your back is padded and textured to allow air flow while being comfortable
- it has a hip straps to help sustain its weight and relieve shoulders and neck
- a grab-handle to carry it by hand

- Edit: adding weight info. It weight 4.9 lb empty which is about 2.22 kg.

- the interior can be configured to your liking: the inserts are padded and feature velcro to position and secure them

- the P4 sits flush and clear of the zippers if you first position it with nothing in the way or propping it and then add inserts.

- If you pack well, there is room for a change of clothes!!!
I carry one extra pair of pants, 2 pairs of socks and two boxers.
This gets me through 4-5 days on the road and I will buy more while on the road if needed.

- There is a pass-through for headphones wires

- It also features reflective surfaces for safety to reflect cars headlights at night

- it offers many small pockets to store and carry small items and bits: a Bluetooth ear piece, various short micro USB and USB cables, a wallet (not pictured), keys (not pictured), a lens brush/ carbon tip cleaner pen, a black pen, a sharpie, a flashlight (not pictured), a toll transponder, a 12V inverter/ charger for the laptop, a toothbrush, a 12V dual-port USB charger, a power bank and an external HDD, power bars and other high energy compact snacks etc.

I will follow this thread and answer any question(s) you may have.
If you need the specific name of something you see pictured, let me know.

Highly recommended for its clever design, super-good quality materials and value overall.
The team at PolarPro is also amazing.
Here is the link to their product page: Drone Trekker

Note:
All pictures are mine.
DO NOT reuse without asking for permission (the correct thing to do) and/ or without credit (at a minimum).

Jul 13 2016 EDIT:
PolarPro now includes motor caps with the Drone Trekker!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_3957.JPG
IMG_3959.JPG
IMG_3964.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_3987.JPG
IMG_3972.JPG
IMG_3967.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG
IMG_3960.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_3969.JPG
IMG_3970.JPG
IMG_3962.JPG
IMG_3974.JPG
IMG_3973.JPG

Here is a video showing the Drone Trekker packed and my emptying it.

Please note that I highly recommend motor guards/ covers when it is this packed.
The drone landing arms rest on the floor which also is the back of the laptop compartment.

I opted to not use one of the insert to increase the usable space.
In this video, I also packed a camera and a second power bank not visible in the pictures above.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any question(s).

IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4137.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

June 24 2016 EDIT:
Please see post #88 to see how the Drone Trekker handles carrying a DSLR, lenses for those of you who would like to carry the drone plus camera but no clothes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lerroy
Just made up my mind. Thanks for the excellent review. Now, it better be as good as you say or I will hunt you down. Just kidding LOL. :D But seriously :|

Reactions: 28wins
@28wins & @WWK888 ... lets lighten up a bit here okay?

If anyone sees a problem, smash that report button... do not take it upon yourself to "memberate".
Also, if you use someones photo or video and you know who owns them please credit the owner, that is just common courtesy. The rules address this situation - Community Guidelines

Reactions: dirkclod
Just made up my mind. Thanks for the excellent review. Now, it better be as good as you say or I will hunt you down. Just kidding LOL. :D But seriously :|

I am in SoCal. Hope you are too. Let's get together: that's another thing I am trying to get going on these forums. Would love to gather a few great members.
Please post back on this thread when you get your Drone Trekker.

Can you get your RC with mod antenna fitted into the backpack ?

I think so from what I see/ know about the bag and your picture.
I haven't done that mod yet to my controller. I'll drop you a line for advice.
If you are in SoCal, you are welcome to check it out in person.

Reactions: coco777 and JasonP4
Reactions: 28wins
I'm gonna to order as well been considering for a while.

The shipping from polar pro to Australia is $60/$89 US not cheap at all.

I found yesterday that if I buy from Amazon its free shipping to Australia, I'll save more than the promo code ordering from Amazon :)

Edit!!! Free shipping looks like not to Australia :(

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got me one too! Giving my other backpack to my grandson, along with a bird and 3 batteries, for graduation. Looking forward to this one!

Just added pictures and a video I shot at the end of the day in post # 3.

I am in SoCal. Hope you are too. Let's get together: that's another thing I am trying to get going on these forums. Would love to gather a few great members.
Please post back on this thread when you get your Drone Trekker.
Yeah I used to live in SoCal when I was in the military, miss it. Colorado now.

I use a Lowepro Protactic 450 for my phantom 4 and gear. Works really well.

I wanted the flexibility to use it for my DSLR aswell rather than having a drone dedicated bag.

I'm gonna to order as well been considering for a while.

The shipping from polar pro to Australia is $60/$89 US not cheap at all.

I found yesterday that if I buy from Amazon its free shipping to Australia, I'll save more than the promo code ordering from Amazon :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
How did you qualify for free shipping to Australia?

How did you qualify for free shipping to Australia?

I believe, he mentioned he ordered from the Australian Amazon site, which offered free shipping.

Yeah I used to live in SoCal when I was in the military, miss it. Colorado now.

Colorado is beautiful. I wonder how you are enjoying flying your Phantom there.

Got my polar pro trekker today... and I don't know. It's a tight fit with the motor caps. I have the dbs mod and it's a real tight fit. Might go back to my procraft

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31