Dangerous DJI bug or airdata bug?

Reaction score
Going through my flight records last week and I noticed something just now. Within 4 mins I done two separate flights. However the map location in one of them is wrong.

This is where I flew

May 22nd, 2018 08:44PM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 3.1.38 on Android | Total Mileage: 15,252 ft | United Kingdom | Airdata UAV

But 4 mins earlier I had launched but had to stop and reset as the camera was not responding. Here is that flight log....

May 22nd, 2018 08:40PM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 3.1.38 on Android | Total Mileage: 1,272 ft | United Kingdom | Airdata UAV

This is scary as it makes me wonder what would happen if I lost signal. I mean.... The home point could send it flying in another location. The first link is where I have flown before many times, but the 2nd link is where I was on both of them links in reality. But why would it be on airdata if I was not flying there at that time. Makes me wonder if this is a dangerous DJI GO bug or an airdata bug. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
This home point location does not appear to be that far off. Did you possibly reset the home point? Cant tell without seeing the full data file.

Didn't reset the home point, but if you look at the map of where I am flying in both links, you can see they are both in different locations.

One link shows this location
1527973839649.png

The other link shows this location
1527973856735.png

Yet I was flying both flights in the same location which is the top pic. If you look at the time and date on both pics you will see there is 4 mins difference.

Slightly different, but its really hard to say from Airdata. You don't get enough information without the .csv file. However if you notice in the second file The home point altitude was changed, therefore assuming the home point was also changed, but need the ,csv file to confirm that, but just from looking at this, this was changed at 4:04 in to the flight at 134.8 ft..( Notice the home point distance)

NEON EUC1.PNG

Reactions: Neon Euc
Slightly different, but its really hard to say from Airdata. You don't get enough information without the .csv file. However if you notice in the second file The home point altitude was changed, therefore assuming the home point was also changed, but need the ,csv file to confirm that, but just from looking at this, this was changed at 4:04 in to the flight at 134.8 ft..( Notice the home point distance)

View attachment 99613
Wow well spotted. Didn't see that [emoji43] I am quite happy to say I must have some how changed the home point. That I can accept. But why is the map different saying I flew in a different location? That really puzzles me lol.

Unfortunately I am away from the drone at the moment. I can certainly get the flight log data from my phone if that helps

I can't upload the CSV file from my phone unfortunately as it's too big and I dont have access to a laptop/pc untill tomorrow as I'm away, but will definitely get that done. This is so odd

Just go to your Airdata account and change your share settings. You can make the .csv and the .kml data sharable that way such that you don't need to do another upload.

Here are the two flights, they are not that far apart.

The first one at 8:40, the second at 8:44

EUC 840.PNG

EUC 844.PNG

Wow that's odd... I was flying here tho
1527979844965.png

Different location to the one in the pic.

Wow that's odd... I was flying here tho
If you zoom in on the pics, you can see they are at the same location. As in post #11.......These are zoomed to closely match. The home points are not that far apart......

Going through my flight records last week and I noticed something just now. Within 4 mins I done two separate flights. However the map location in one of them is wrong.

This is scary as it makes me wonder what would happen if I lost signal. I mean.... The home point could send it flying in another location. The first link is where I have flown before many times, but the 2nd link is where I was on both of them links in reality. But why would it be on airdata if I was not flying there at that time. Makes me wonder if this is a dangerous DJI GO bug or an airdata bug. Any advice would be appreciated.
It seems unlikely that the Phantom would fail to record a home point.
When you switch it off, the home point evaporates from the internal memory.
When you switch it on and it gets a GPS fix, it records a new home point.
Rather than getting anxious over a simple map image, look at the actual location data recorded in the CSV files and compare real numbers.

Here are the zoomed out versions. Still not convinced it is the same location ???

NEON 840 OUT.PNG

NEON 844 OUT.PNG

Here are the zoomed out versions. Still not convinced it is the same location ???

View attachment 99617
View attachment 99618
Hi fly dawg. If you look at post 4 I done a screen shot and I am getting 2 different locations. They are both separate park. They are both near to each other but both locations are a 20 min walk away from each other that's why I can't understand why I am getting two different map locations. I'm guessing it's a one off but will keep an eye on it. I didn't notice when I was flying if the correct map was loaded but will check in future. But thanks to all who Chimed in to give advice [emoji4]

It seems unlikely that the Phantom would fail to record a home point.
When you switch it off, the home point evaporates from the internal memory.
When you switch it on and it gets a GPS fix, it records a new home point.
Rather than getting anxious over a simple map image, look at the actual location data recorded in the CSV files and compare real numbers.
Thanks meta, in reality nothing bad happened and I fully trust the drone so I am guessing airdata somehow showed the wrong image

If you look at post 4 I done a screen shot and I am getting 2 different locations. They are both separate park. They are both near to each other but both locations are a 20 min walk away from each other that's why I can't understand why I am getting two different map locations.
Post #11 and #15 are the exact same locations that you show in your screen shots in Post #4. Not sure why you are saying these are two different locations. These shots are roughly 4min apart, yet you say it is a 20min walk from one to the other? The only way that would be correct is if you posted the wrong flight. The .csv's would be most helpful to clear the confusion.

Hi fly dawg. If you look at post 4 I done a screen shot and I am getting 2 different locations. They are both separate park. They are both near to each other but both locations are a 20 min walk away from each other that's why I can't understand why I am getting two different map locations. I'm guessing it's a one off but will keep an eye on it. I didn't notice when I was flying if the correct map was loaded but will check in future. But thanks to all who Chimed in to give advice [emoji4]

I'm also not seeing the problem here either - as @Fly Dawg points out you are just looking at two different zoom levels. If you adjust the two airdata map images from the links in your first post to the same zoom, you get the following:

screenshot145.jpg

screenshot146.jpg

The homepoint has moved slightly, but it's exactly the same corner of the same park.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1