Battery Die?

Wow Gents!! What great data analysis!!! We need to send in our info here with resumes for the NTSB!! LOL Way cool.

Ok. The reason I am not completely on board with the Terrain Strike Spyritus is due to the video feed image, for one. For two, the drone went out and did not hit anything. For three, on the way back which you analyzed PERFECTLY, the drone would have been high enough due to the last images I have, that it would have been above the HIGHEST trees on the mission. ok...

Those trees in my mission that the drone were about to clear right before (power loss and or collision) were about 80 to 90 feet high. The exact location of where I recovered the drone was no way near those 80 foot trees. Those trees which is not depicted on Satellite imagery are exactly and precisely under waypoint two and five. The trees that were at the location I recovered the drone were only 25 feet high max. So the only thing that would lend it self to a collision with those trees would have been some kind of altitude error with the drone.

What I was going for was a nice close flyby of the 90 foot trees. This mission objective was a potential real estate shot to bring to a realtor friend.

Finally the drone had flown this mission JUST Prior to this collision or battery loss. With no problems.

I did adjust the altitude of waypoint 5 to the lesser value but the trajectory just does not support hitting a 25 foot tall tree between waypoint 4 and 5. The drone would have had to have flown nearly level between 4 and 5 then it would have had to pull a massive climb from the point of lost data where it shows on the map, and waypoint 5. Could that have been a programming issue with me. 80% chance of no. But it could have been.

Here is more. I had a Right Rear Sensor Camera that was not functioning. That issue took out ALL ability for the P4P to have any collision avoidance. So I had a local drone repair shop put in a new camera. That did not fix the problem. I had noticed on testing that the P4P would vary altitude low to the ground. By about two feet. So whatever altitude information going to the flight controller was quite possibly a factor in this. I do not think it was accurate, but not enough to cause the above collision. I tried to calibrate sensors on DJI Assistant to no avail. The tech who did my repairs was suspect of the 3 in 1 board. I was planning on using my DJI Care Refresh to have that fixed since that is a $300.00 board as well as an additional control board the tech had said was about $400.00 to replace. Too much for me to spend on a $1500. drone considering that whole bunch of repairs may have lead to more rabbit holes maintenance wise. So I figured I would simply fly without the sensor working. Those sensors do not see trees without leaves so they are only useful if you are heading for something big and solid which I am fairly good at avoiding. LOL. Who knows. I would REALLY LOVE to know the most accurate data available at the time of impact/power loss. Thanks for the help on this guys.

I will get those images up when I can. They will help a lot.

I will take my word back and say no bird strike.... If there was the data for compass error, yaw error and motor spins will confirm that. 50/50 between battery loss and tree hit.... The wind may have blown the top of the tree in a different direction to previous flight making it get hit. Yes.... I do think out of the box a lot.... But hey.... We have to think of all possible situations right ? [emoji4]

So you executed a partially untested waypoint mission with inoperative/questionable sensors, tricky terrain, around tall obstacles... On its retrun leg your drone gyrated violently for some speculaltive reason (/rolls eyes) causing the battery to either disconned or FC to reset...

Anyway glad someone put their DJI care to good use, just be careful with the next one! Thanks for sharing, lessons learned by everyone.

I will take my word back and say no bird strike.... If there was the data for compass error, yaw error and motor spins will confirm that. 50/50 between battery loss and tree hit.... The wind may have blown the top of the tree in a different direction to previous flight making it get hit. Yes.... I do think out of the box a lot.... But hey.... We have to think of all possible situations right ?
emoji4.png

/Rubs temples

The drone shook violently and struggled right before the data flatlined and reset. See graphs posted.

I know battery disconnect is the flavor of the month but....

/Le sigh

Night peeps ;)

Reactions: Timinator
Hey guys! Once again thanks for the help! I will get that photo up here soon. Does anyone know if there is a solid way to check a battery for any indication that it is bad? I looked at my batteries on Air Data, and they all look and appear healthy. Both from the data and physical inspection. I hate to say it but I feel squeamish about flying. So If anyone has any other methods to check a Batt please let me know thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl