Battery Die?

Reaction score
I was using LITCHI on a waypoint misssion and along the mission BAM. The drone just dropped to its death.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Jul 16th, 2018 01:45PM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from Litchi app, version 2.4 on iOS | Total Mileage: 1,416 ft | United States | Airdata UAV

I am new to flight analysis and was wondering if there are flight records stored on the aircraft itself. If so for one, is it any different than these files? Two, how does one obtain them. Am I missing where to find help to do all this? Three what the hell does it all mean! Just kidding on the last.

The last video feed I have shows that all trees were WELL CLEARED. At a loss thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Fitger
I am new to flight analysis and was wondering if there are flight records stored on the aircraft itself. If so for one, is it any different than these files? Two, how does one obtain them.
Yes, they are on the aircraft in much greater detail. See this link for how to retrieve the .dat file.

How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

At first look, this appears to be yet another battery disconnect. There have been more than just a few P4's where apparently the battery dislodged, cutting all power. As I said, it appears that way at first look. Were you flying an original P4P? Or a V2, just for the sake of asking.

At first look, this appears to be yet another battery disconnect. There have been more than just a few P4's where apparently the battery dislodged, cutting all power. As I said, it appears that way at first look. Were you flying an original P4P? Or a V2, just for the sake of asking.

Hey THANK YOU for giving it a look over. By the way, has anyone posted a white paper or any ideas on how to read the data? I am on airdata and they do a good job of reminding about deep cycle charging and routine maintenance and inspections but I would like to know if there is a battery not in top health. Also would you know if the battery info in the GO APP is good? I have that defined in my C2 button. So B4 every flight I check the status page, and the battery page as well as a check of the sensors and IMU and compass. So rarely would I say this was something from lack of diligence in pref-light checks. Thanks!

By the way, has anyone posted a white paper or any ideas on how to read the data?
There is one supposedly in process, but it may be a while. I asked which P4P, due to the many battery disconnects that have occurred with all versions and this "appears" to be one of those. The V2's added a latch sensor for what that is worth. They were evidently aware of the issue.

The CSV file you're downloading from Airdata is not the raw Litchi CSV file. It's a CSV file created by AirData. You'll find lots of other differences between those files if you compare them.

Reactions: Blade4
Well I have an idea. One can purchase small 1/2 inch velcro. I am going to see if putting them on the aircraft then the batter right adjacent to where the battery connects to the aircraft. Just a thought.

Also success! I am downloading all the flight data from the aircraft.

The CSV file you're downloading from Airdata is not the raw Litchi CSV file.
I realize this, however the decimal point really helps. Looking back at my own data I now remember adding my own points to the .csv's from Litchi. Sorry for the confusion, but the decimal point does help, for what its worth.

Also success! I am downloading all the flight data from the aircraft.
If you plan on sharing that .dat file, you may have to upload it to a sharable location such as Dropbox, Google Drive or similar if it is too large to share here. Also you will need a converter to read it.

Well I'd like to share it to see what we can learn
We may or may not learn much more than we already know. Your battery was fine and the log simply stopped. There were no error reports of any kind. This is why I suggest that this is another case of battery disconnect, dislodge or however you care to word it. It means the same thing. Sudden and complete power loss. We can look for sure. There are numerous threads on this issue.

Yep. A whole plethora of damage. So I wonder if DJI will replace this all together. Or repair it.
We may or may not learn much more than we already know. Your battery was fine and the log simply stopped. There were no error reports of any kind. This is why I suggest that this is another case of battery disconnect, dislodge or however you care to word it. It means the same thing. Sudden and complete power loss. We can look for sure. There are numerous threads on this issue.
I am betting that is what it is.

When I surveyed the area before constructing my way point mission I ENSURED safe obstacle clearance AND if you up load this to Google Earth you can certainly see there was no obstacle conflict. So it is a power loss. Oddly enough though... There were no abrupt moves on my part. This was a very short mission too.

The altitude data in this file looks really odd. It is showing 100ft in altitude prior to takeoff. Not that the oddity changes the diagnoses. It's just odd.

Ok so now what do I do with the files?
If you have the .dat files did you check the file dates? Sometimes it it tricky to get the right one.

Once you think you have the correct one see Post#11 above.

Just looking at the altitude prior to impact it is showing only 43 feet. Is that accurate? If it is, just by looking at street view near the crash site the trees in that area appear to be taller than 40 feet.

If you plan on sharing that .dat file, you may have to upload it to a sharable location such as Dropbox, Google Drive or similar if it is too large to share here. Also you will need a converter to read it.

Hello Fly Dawg,
What sort of converter application would you suggest to best read the uploaded .dat file when using Windows? I see from a google search there are several which may be used to convert to various applications and was curious what you may have found works well to accomplish the task. : )

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers