Crashed into Water - Multiple Issues

Reaction score
Long time lurker - first time poster. I wish it were under better circumstances.
Flying my P4 Pro in cottage country Ontario. Not the first time - but as it turns out it was the last time.
Pre-flight check, battery at 100%, waited for 11+ satellites and strong GPS signal - waited for home point to be set - then took off from shore over water (see attached link and map below).
Flew close to an island in the lake that wasn't very far (0.5 miles). Aircraft lost both video signal and remote control signal all of a sudden all at once. Message on iPad was 'Aircraft Disconnected'. So me thinks - no big deal, calmly wait for the Aircraft to initiate RTH. RTH was pre-set at high enough to clear trees 260 feet (80 meters) - mostly flat water everywhere anyways.
After a few minutes - no reconnection and no signal. I pressed RTM on the controller, tried the sticks - nothing. Then a bunch of error messages started showing up on the screen, I listed them all below - however they are in the link I shared below as well. Main ones during flight were Compass disconnect, switched to Atti mode by itself, Battery Overcurrent during discharge, Motor overloaded, overheating during discharge, low temperature during discharge, critically low voltage (suddenly from 62% to low???), weak GPS, etc... Long story short - after several hours of searching and no luck I figured the drone is in the water at the bottom of the lake.
With Aircraft shown as disconnected - the DJI App was showing a termination point in the middle of the lake. However, the .txt data file I extracted from my iPad and uploaded to AirdataUAV much later - the full flight path was shown. Clearly - the drone was transmitting, just not showing as connected and DJI App info wrong?
- Bottom line - found the drone submerged in the water 3 feet from shore the next day based on the Airdata website. Nowhere close to Home point or anywhere close to what the DJI App was showing.
- Aircraft was fully under water for close to a day
- completely undamaged - not even a scratch on it

So now what? Clearly - something malfunctioned. as a result - it went down into the water. Definitely not my fault. Still under warranty. How does one go about dealing with this and am I out a drone?

LINK:
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

WarningWarning:[compass]disconnect (In Flight) please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally (Using)T06m 45s79.6 m606 mWarningWarning:[compass]disconnect (In Flight) please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally (Using)U06m 50s79.7 m560 mModeMode changed to Confirm_LandingV06m 50s79.7 m560 mWarningObstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing.W06m 51s79.3 m552 mWarningWarning:Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety.X07m 04s45.2 m538 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During DischargeY07m 04s44.1 m538 mModeMode changed to AttiZ07m 04s44.1 m538 mWarningWarning:Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Modea07m 17s77.4 m528 mWarningWarning:Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety.b08m 00s97.4 m487 mWarningWarning:Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety.c08m 20s111.9 m460 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During Discharge Low Temperature During Discharged08m 20s111.8 m460 mModeMode changed to Confirm_Landinge08m 20s111.8 m460 mWarningObstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing.f08m 20s111.8 m459 mTipCritically Low Voltage Warning Land as soon as possible, or battery will be damaged.g08m 23s108.3 m457 mWarningWarning:Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety.h08m 24s105.8 m456 mModeMode changed to Attii08m 24s105.8 m456 mWarningWarning:Compass Error. Exit P-GPS Modej08m 30s111.1 m452 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During Discharge Overheating During Discharge Battery Error. Return home and land soon. View the checklist after landing.k08m 51s110.9 m441 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During Discharge Overheating During Discharge Battery Error. Return home and land soon. View the checklist after landing.l08m 55s111.0 m437 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During Discharge Overheating During Discharge Low Temperature During Discharge Short Circuit During Discharge Battery Error. Return home and land soon. View the checklist after landing.m09m 24s117.4 m426 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During Dischargen09m 27s117.3 m425 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During Discharge Overheating During Discharge Low Temperature During Discharge Low Voltage Protection Battery Error. Return home and land soon. View the checklist after landing.o09m 27s117.3 m425 mWarningWarning:Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety.p09m 31s117.1 m425 mWarningWarning:The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now.q09m 31s117.1 m425 mModeMode changed to AutoLandingr09m 31s117.1 m425 mTipTips__Critically Low Power. Aircraft Landings09m 31s117.1 m425 mWarningObstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing.t09m 46s102.3 m422 mModeMode changed to Confirm_Landingu09m 48s98.8 m422 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During Discharge Battery Error. Return home and land soon. View the checklist after landing.v09m 51s90.2 m423 mWarningWarning:Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety.w10m 03s56.8 m427 mWarningBattery:Overcurrent During Discharge Overheating During Discharge Low Temperature During Discharge Short Circuit During Discharge Low Voltage Protection Battery Error. Return home and land soon. View the checklist after landing.x10m 24s16.0 m438 mData LossDownlink data connection lost for 5.6 secondsy10m 24s15.5 m438 mWarningWarning:The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now.z10m 25s14.0 m438 mModeMode changed to AutoLandingA10m 25s14.0 m438 mTipTips__Critically Low Power. Aircraft Landing

Did you have the aircraft in sight the whole flight? Are you aware of any interference?

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

I retrieved the .TXT file and uploaded it. Received a data tables error - tried several times. Data seems to be there and can be downloaded from the link - just not necessarily showing properly.

Here is the link DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

and here is the link to the site I initially posted my file to. it has the same level of detail - however no datable errors. Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

The error I keep getting from the site is:
'DataTables Warning table id = flight log invalid JSON response'

Last edited:
I retrieved the .TXT file and uploaded it. Received a data tables error - tried several times. Data seems to be there and can be downloaded from the link - just not necessarily showing properly.
I fixed that issue on my end. Your flight log is now displaying correctly:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

There were a slew of compass and battery errors followed by the auto landing in the water due to a critically low battery.

Location.jpg

At that point, the only thing you could have done differently was steer your Phantom toward the shore (instead of letting it auto land into the water). It sounds like that wouldn't have been easily done though since the Phantom appeared to be disconnected while you were flying.

You should contact DJI Support for help.

Yikes. Sorry about your accident!

If it wasn't salt water or really dirty water, it may be 100% fine after a THOROUGH drying. Take the battery out and point a fan at the open bay for few days, turning it upside down 1/2 way through. Worth a shot anyway before sending it back, although it seems it may have other issues based on this.

Thanks for your help! This definitely helps. Now onto dealing with DJI customer support. We'll see how that works out. I'm sure they'll find a way of pinning this onto me without taking responsibility.
I'll keep the thread updated with whatever happens.

just a quick update - it was a fresh water lake so salt wouldn't be an issue.
- the battery is done for sure. It will not accept a charge, the lights will not turn on, and there is a blue 'gel like gunk' coming out of the metal terminals. The drone is slowly drying out. It's been two days. Still water and moisture in the camera, probably elsewhere inside that I can't see. Naturally I don't want to open it as it will void the warranty. I contacted DJI customer service. Weird experience so far - not much happened other than they will be sending me an email in 24-48 hours with more details. Seem to be treating this as a repair. I'll see about next steps.

With my P3A I've had instances where RC shows disconnected (no video or telemetry) and waited 4 minutes to come back. After analyzing TXT and DAT, AC was receiving from RC even though RC was not receiving from AC which is why it didn't RTH. In case you're in a situation like that, send RTH by RC.

OK - I would appreciate some feedback...
Still no email from DJI (despite it being promised during the online chat 3 days ago).
I chatted with them again - and the same message, 'don't worry we will send you an email with instructions on how to send your drone for repairs'
I need a way of telling them that this is:
- warranty claim
- aircraft was 'Disconnected in the DJI App' and I had no control over it - despite it feeding flight data back to the RC
- multiple electrical issues developed in flight that caused it to eventually crash, RTH did not work
- I suspect a battery problem (11 charges on it, relatively new, bought separate from the drone at a Hobby Shop)
In any case - there is NO friggin way of communicating with anyone, other than waiting for this silly email that never seems to show up
What is the process? Anyone go through this before?
Thanks,

Today's update:
- still no email or any contact from DJI from Aug 9 (today is the 14th)
-I called them on the phone earlier today to follow up. They had NO record whatsoever of the online chat or a case having been created
- after a phone disconnect the first time I called, I spoke to someone that had a rather challenging command of English. Spelling things out was super challenging. Nevertheless - we plowed on.
-The agent created a 'new' case and said I will be receiving an email with a shipping label. Wouldn't give me a case number - stated it will be created AFTER we hang up and it will be contained in the 'email'
-couldn't really tell me whether to include the original wet(now dry)/dead battery. At first he said no - then he said yes. Also said to exclude the memory card and the RC unit.
We'll see what happens - so far a pretty unpleasant experience. Notwithstanding the language barrier which we got past, the fact that they had no case from last week and he couldn't really tell me much else was slightly concerning. At this rate - not sure what or how long this is going to take. A figured a big company like DJI would have a more established process to deal with these kinds of things. I don't see myself flying for some time.
Cheers,

It can take a couple of weeks with DJI just to get it into their system. Repairs seem to take 4-6 weeks with shipping if cross country (They go ground shipping, and some of my coastal stuff takes 8 days on average via Ground to get to destination one-way.). I recall from long ago they also had some water sensing tag inside the unit where they could scrap a warranty claim easily, even if high humidity. Still, they may make it cheaper than buying a new one, but the process is VERY SLOW with DJI and phone support is lackluster overall as they often have no clue being possibly located elsewhere than where your drone is.

See their online satisfaction for horror stories: DJI - Torrance, CA and BBB Accredited Business Review for DJI Service, LLC.

Another update:
Good news - DJI will be replacing the Aircraft under warranty at no cost for the repairs. They are however not offering to replace the water damaged battery. I sent them an email trying to argue that the battery should also be replaced as a result of the aircraft ending up in the water and the battery being damaged due to the internal errors the aircraft experienced. We'll see how far I get with that argument.
Any advice on how to get the battery covered and replaced as well?

This is completely off the subject But I just returned from my Island property in Northwest Ontario yesterday and flew my P4 out over open water a good ways for the first time since owning it...Neat view of my place, But I was a nervous wreck every time ! :)

Rick

Just to close the loop on this - DJI finally shipped me a replacement drone that I received yesterday. The whole process took about a month. They also replaced the battery (initially not going to be replaced).
I quickly did a very short test flight - everything seemed OK, some minor issues here and there:
- Phantom was not paired up to my remote - so not sure how and if they actually tested it with the remote they asked me to send to them. The paperworks says that they quality testing and a test flight. I'm not so sure.
- Phantom required firmware updates - you'd think they would do all that before testing and shipping
- it did not want to stay in a proper hover. It would either drift up or down by itself without me touching the sticks. I tried rebooting once - still the same issue. Put it away and tried again a few hours later - problem went away.

Long time lurker - first time poster. I wish it were under better circumstances.
Flying my P4 Pro in cottage country Ontario. Not the first time - but as it turns out it was the last time.
Pre-flight check, battery at 100%, waited for 11+ satellites and strong GPS signal - waited for home point to be set - then took off from shore over water (see attached link and map below).
Flew close to an island in the lake that wasn't very far (0.5 miles). Aircraft lost both video signal and remote control signal all of a sudden all at once. Message on iPad was 'Aircraft Disconnected'. So me thinks - no big deal, calmly wait for the Aircraft to initiate RTH. RTH was pre-set at high enough to clear trees 260 feet (80 meters) - mostly flat water everywhere anyways.
After a few minutes - no reconnection and no signal. I pressed RTM on the controller, tried the sticks - nothing. Then a bunch of error messages started showing up on the screen, I listed them all below - however they are in the link I shared below as well. Main ones during flight were Compass disconnect, switched to Atti mode by itself, Battery Overcurrent during discharge, Motor overloaded, overheating during discharge, low temperature during discharge, critically low voltage (suddenly from 62% to low???), weak GPS, etc... Long story short - after several hours of searching and no luck I figured the drone is in the water at the bottom of the lake.
With Aircraft shown as disconnected - the DJI App was showing a termination point in the middle of the lake. However, the .txt data file I extracted from my iPad and uploaded to AirdataUAV much later - the full flight path was shown. Clearly - the drone was transmitting, just not showing as connected and DJI App info wrong?
- Bottom line - found the drone submerged in the water 3 feet from shore the next day based on the Airdata website. Nowhere close to Home point or anywhere close to what the DJI App was showing.
- Aircraft was fully under water for close to a day
- completely undamaged - not even a scratch on it

So now what?

I have had this happen TWICE now with the P4P Plus. THIS IS A REAL DESIGN DEFECT THAT DJI HAS YET TO PUBLICLY ACKNOWLEDGE. The BATTERY DISCONNECTS in midflight. THE NEW P4P's VERSION 2 HAVE A BATTERY SENSOR that looks like another clip lock where the battery makes electrical contact so they are fully aware of this problem. If you use your batteries 100's of times the latches are slowly wearing down in height so if you don't semi forcefully engage the battery in the opening you can see a slight gap between the battery and the aircraft body. Check this with all your batteries and see if the gap size varies. The last one I lost went down into the ocean same message you got, red banner says disconnected, return home flashes then back to disconnected. My P4P+ was 1 month out of warranty and DJI refused to even look at the data log I sent them. I have been a loyal DJI customer for 7 years, have over 700 hours of flight time so I know what I'm doing. DJI owns the market space and their attitude as of late is getting a bit arrogant.

Attachments

• P4P-Battery-Sensor-1.jpg
    P4P-Battery-Sensor-1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 383
THE NEW P4P's VERSION 2 HAVE A BATTERY SENSOR that looks like another clip lock where the battery makes electrical contact so they are fully aware of this problem.
It's just a sensor that alerts the pilot if the battery is not fully inserted. As far as I can tell, DJI hasn't changed the way the battery clips into the Phantom. If there truly is a problem with the way the battery clips in (and it's not a pilot error), then DJI will need to redesign the batteries and/or battery housing to resolve the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub