CRASH: P3Pro fell out of sky while in follow me mode.

no problem. and that road is covered with telephone lines and overhanging trees. Aside from the hindsight thing, using follow me traveling in a metal box in the dark w/ trees and poles around is generally a recipe for disaster.

by the way, you can export your flight log in KML format using HealthyDrones.com and run it through Google Earth to see the flight path including elevation, in 3-dimensional space. GE is blocked at work or I would have posted a pic of the crash point. Give it a try, I think you will find that it hits a tree at the top of the hill. good luck.

Reactions: doomclam
no problem. and that road is covered with telephone lines and overhanging trees. Aside from the hindsight thing, using follow me traveling in a metal box in the dark w/ trees and poles around is generally a recipe for disaster.

by the way, you can export your flight log in KML format using HealthyDrones.com and run it through Google Earth to see the flight path including elevation, in 3-dimensional space. GE is blocked at work or I would have posted a pic of the crash point. Give it a try, I think you will find that it hits a tree at the top of the hill. good luck.
That's awesome. I will ABSOLUTELY try that when I get home. If that's the case, I'll probably ship off to DroneFLY instead of DJI to get it repaired.

Does look like it hit a tree - Played the log in Dashware
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To me it looks like this is where you started to have signal loss issues:
image.jpg image.jpg

And this is the corner it crashed. Probably into that very tree.
image.jpg

I must add that you are one brave guy to use follow me while driving through this area at night in the dark!

How far ahead of the P3 were you when it went down?

Max height was 156ft. Not sure where some got heights above that. The a/c was at around 150ft at the time it suddenly broke speed. This caused a major interruption of the imu. From that came a Speed, Compass, and GPS failure because there were no longer being read correctly by the imu, and down it will come every time.

From Google Earth. This shows the trees you hit:

*edit* -grammar

I saw this yesterday... Google Earth has come a long way since I last looked at it, and the ability to export the KML from HealthyDrones and import into Google Earth is awesome.

This really makes it look like the crash was due to my misunderstanding of the elevation; specifically thinking it was relative to currently location, not starting location.

Reactions: doomclam
Max height was 156ft. Not sure where some got heights above that. The a/c was at around 150ft at the time it suddenly broke speed. This caused a major interruption of the imu. From that came a Speed, Compass, and GPS failure because there were no longer being read correctly by the imu, and down it will come every time.
When you say it "broke speed", what does that mean?

From everything I've been shown/I can deduce, the crash was due to me hitting a tree because I thought I was 47M above the current location, not 47M above my starting location.
47M = ~155Feet.
There was a ~120 foot elevation change between the launch point and the crash point. That puts me at ~35 feet? Above trees.

Healthydrones is an interesting resource, but at the end of the day tells nothing of value. Especially when analyzing a crash. Far too many people are putting far too much value in its complete lack of data! At best, its a good way to look at a trends over a series of normal flights.And there are far better sources for file conversion.

Healthydrones is an interesting resource, but at the end of the day tells nothing of value. Especially when analyzing a crash. Far too many people are putting far too much value in its complete lack of data! At best, its a good way to look at a trends over a series of normal flights.And there are far better sources for file conversion.
Care to share a few?

I normally use www.djilogs.com for my conversions. But recently started using www.flylog.info because of the .DAT file capabilities.

To determine what happened in a crash you HAVE to look at the actual data. Most of this is in the resulting .csv files. Both sites also create .KML files for Google Earth.

Reactions: Oso
long/lat/height overlaid on a 3 dimensional map are not of value when trying to determine why one hit a tree in the dark?

Could be wrong but is there a chance that there's an terrain change in elevation,such as ground gaining some height as you fly in that direction? Obstacles being higher that at the original home point. When I fly distance I usually stay around the 400 foot mark
I haven't dug into the actual log file, but just based on your flight path, there is a 128ft change in elevation from your HP to your CP.
View attachment 36008
That was my first impression but I didn't know what his elevation change was. Good find bbfpv

Reactions: bbfpv
Not at all without the actual data to confirm that at the point the 3D map LOOKS like it might have hit a tree is the same point in time that the logs show an impact of some form. Granted, if the 3D map shows 100 ft trees and a 60 foot flight its pretty clear. But very few crashes are that obvious. And when posted the person would still likely say they were nowhere close to trees. Raw data tell everything. A picture only tells part of the story. Take for example the guy with the prop that fell off. the google maps image showed he just entered trees. Everyone went strait for a tree strike. In reality he was short of the tree line. The logs showed the blade separation point. They are all tools. But we have to use them all when helping everyone. But HealthyDrones give me nothing that all my other tools havent already given
long/lat/height overlaid on a 3 dimensional map are not of value when trying to determine why one hit a tree in the dark?

I've attached an image showing the KML exported from djilogs.com. This one shows me WAY above the trees with a much sharper drop. Any idea why this would be? Which one is more accurate?
GoogleMaps-DJILogs.png

I've attached an image showing the KML exported from djilogs.com. This one shows me WAY above the trees with a much sharper drop. Any idea why this would be? Which one is more accurate?View attachment 36047
Thats exactly why all the tools are needed. I was originally leaning toward a bird strike. Its a prime area for several species. And many are pretty protective right now!

Thats exactly why all the tools are needed. I was originally leaning toward a bird strike. Its a prime area for several species. And many are pretty protective right now!

Is that likely at night? Either way, it looks like I hit *something*. What I don't like is the disparity between the djilogs.KML and the HealthyDrones KML. If anyone has any insight on this I'm all ears.

I've attached an image showing the KML exported from djilogs.com. This one shows me WAY above the trees with a much sharper drop. Any idea why this would be? Which one is more accurate?View attachment 36047
This is from the log in the tablet. Not sure what you got your KML from. Im guessing its the DAT file. But I see that is decided to land and hit a tree
Capture.PNG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers