Continuous whining

Reaction score
On firing up a new P3A I immediately noticed a whining noise that starts a few seconds after gimbal initialization and continues until the battery is turned off. It sounds like a small fan with bad bearings. At first I thought it was the sonar used by VPS but after reading this forum, the consensus is that the sonar just emits a clicking sound and I also hear that. I'm certain it is not coming from the gimbal. There are several posts on this forum discussing this so it is not unique to my bird. But I have not read any definitive answer - just speculation.

I have ignored the sound and the bird flies with no problems. Video is solid and steady and control is crisp and precise. So I'm conflicted on whether this is something that should be repaired by warranty or if it is normal. I know the P3P has a fan in the gimbal but the P3A does not. Is there a fan in the main body?

Nobody else has heard this noise? Guess it must be a defect.

Are you able to capture it on video? If so, please post a sample here so we can hear it.

Now that you mention it my advanced makes a high pitched "eeeeeeeeee" noise. Not very loud. Only notice it when I pick it up after landing.

That is normal as there is a heatsink and a fan over the VPS module (for lightbridge comm i believe)

It's not normal - I have the same issue. It will get progressively worse, at least mine has. You can find videos on YouTube where the noise is much stronger. Maine started off as yours then within 1 month it sounds like the videos on YouTube. Read somewhere about a screw being lose but haven't tried fixing it yet.
I just start the bird and take off so i don't hear the noise.

That is normal as there is a heatsink and a fan over the VPS module (for lightbridge comm i believe)
Yes I am aware of the fan but it sounds like it has a bad bearing.

I can definitely hear the fan running in the VPS on my P3A, but it's not that loud.

I can definitely hear the fan running in the VPS on my P3A, but it's not that loud.
Thanks for checking. I think some fan noise is normal but I may have a bad fan. I submitted a ticket to DJI. So we'll see.....

Reply from submitted DJI ticket:

Thank you for updating your concern with us. Upon checking the video that you have sent us. We have observed that there is any problem with your Phantom 3 Advanced. It is normal for the Gimbal to produce a minimal sound. We hope you may understand this. As long as the Gimbal doesn't create any unnecessary malfunction with your Phantom 3 Advanced, you have nothing to be worried about. Thank you for forwarding this concern to us. We are looking forward to better serve you soon.

I don't think it is the gimbal :-( If I remove the gimbal will the bird still fly?

Reply from submitted DJI ticket:

Thank you for updating your concern with us. Upon checking the video that you have sent us. We have observed that there is any problem with your Phantom 3 Advanced. It is normal for the Gimbal to produce a minimal sound. We hope you may understand this. As long as the Gimbal doesn't create any unnecessary malfunction with your Phantom 3 Advanced, you have nothing to be worried about. Thank you for forwarding this concern to us. We are looking forward to better serve you soon.

I don't think it is the gimbal :-( If I remove the gimbal will the bird still fly?
Yes it'll still fly, you just won't have video feed but you'll be able to see your GPS, battery status etc.

Last edited:
Yes it'll still fly, you just won't have video feed but you'll be able to see your GPS, battery status etc.
Well actually I don't even need to fly. Just remove the gimbal to prove the noise is still there. Maybe I'm wrong, been wrong in the past on many occasions.:D

Hi when i 1st replied, the video wasnt streaming on my phone so i assumed its the normal fan.

However after checking your video i have to say that sound is not normal maybe like you said a problem with the fan bearing ?

Try to film another video from the back ( near vps) to make the sound more pronounced n show dji ?

Good luck

I have this exact problem. Drone was fine for the first week, and it suddenly started with not even a single flight between being silent and then permanently whiney. Sounds like a "quiet bagpipe" or a distant buzzsaw or something. DJI says the noise is nothing to worry about and no need for repair, but what if the fan dies or shorts out mid-flight and overheats the lightbridge module? I have a feeling it's either a bad batch of fans or they are just crap quality. Wish i could open it easily to replace the fan..

after seeing the title for this thread i thought we were on about our wifes my mistake!!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I thought it was going to be about certain members on here (who crash their Phantoms and blame DJI)...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues