Constant compass error warning?

It would be nice if DJI engineering would pop in an tell us stuff. The best we have is people like Ianwood and Blade Strike who seem to be one removed from the internals at DJI but a hell of a lot closer than the rest of us. If you haven't, read Ianwood's magnum opus on compass calibrations.

Dji has, in their manual and videos, they suggest calibrating before each flight

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dji has, in their manual and videos, they suggest calibrating before each flight

Yeah, well, we all know how accurate the DJI documentation is, don't we? Actually, the last time I read the manual (about thirty minutes after unboxing my first P3) it said to calibrate the compass after moving some unknown but substantial distance from the last place you calibrated it. Can you point to the newer recommendations (too lazy to look it up)?

Yeah, well, we all know how accurate the DJI documentation is, don't we? Actually, the last time I read the manual (about thirty minutes after unboxing my first P3) it said to calibrate the compass after moving some unknown but substantial distance from the last place you calibrated it. Can you point to the newer recommendations (too lazy to look it up)?

To be honest last time I read the manual and watched the videos was over a year ago!!!
Since then I have done countless tests on all aspects of p3 and have come up with what actually works, imo!!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

first post--just chiming in. I too got compass error messages with the P4 quite often. I calibrate with my clothes on and away from metal. I began to realize flying near "concrete" as the culprit for me. I fly up and down rivers a lot. Every time I flew near a "concrete" bridge, even at 40 feet, I'd have to recalibrate next flight. I no longer fly near "concrete" structures as the rebar seems to decalibrate the compass until I recalibrate on the next flight. The error message would persist long after an encounter with rebar is what I'm trying to say. Obvious to me now after it dawned on me. Always learning something--albeit sometimes I'm slow on the uptake.

Every time I flew near a "concrete" bridge, even at 40 feet, I'd have to recalibrate next flight. I no longer fly near "concrete" structures as the rebar seems to decalibrate the compass until I recalibrate on the next flight.
This doesn't sound quite right.
You can place your Phantom on reinforced concrete or on your car roof with the compass sensor almost touching a lot of steel and you get a compass error - but when you move the Phantom away from the magnetic influence, the compass error goes away.
Fly close enough to a bridge or other large steel object and you'll also get a compass error but it shouldn't have any lasting effect when you fly away and no recalibration should be necessary.

Reactions: WetDog
Can you point to the newer recommendations (too lazy to look it up)?

The manual is somewhat self contradictory:
yDtJxMa.png

I think most of the "when to recalibrate" conditions are pretty universally accepted, although some people, including me, will prefer not to do it in case 1, and instead suggest you fly somewhere else.

The "new location" case is also open for interpretation. If the new location is within a few miles of the previous one, it doesnt make any sense you'd have to recalibrate (you could after all, fly from one location to the other). If its 1000's of miles, mostly everyone will agree its a good idea. Anything inbetween, YMMV.

Anyway, Im pretty sure more problems have occurred from doing a re-calibration in bad place (you never really know whats under the ground), then from not doing re-calibrations, so my vote is definitely, if it aint broken, dont fix it.

And if you have consistent problems with the compass, it may not be a calibration issue, but look in to degaussing it.

And if you have consistent problems with the compass, it may not be a calibration issue, but look in to degaussing it.

Is this even an issue with a P3? If I understand what the 'compass' actually is, there isn't anything to 'degauss' and I doubt there is enough ferrous mass in the aircraft to change anything unless you put it inside of an MRI.

Curious.

Actually you should take a flight through the updated and revised P3 manual because it reads totally opposite of what you posted.

I have calibrated prior to each of my last 400 flights. Since doing this I have never had ANY compass issues. However, what works for me....works for me. Just because I have not had compass issue could be for numerous reasons. The main point is I fly where I do, and the next guy flies in his area which the two are not the same. So no body should base my good fortune against their own, and so on...

Actually you should take a flight through the updated and revised P3 manual because it reads totally opposite of what you posted.

I have calibrated prior to each of my last 400 flights. Since doing this I have never had ANY compass issues. However, what works for me....works for me. Just because I have not had compass issue could be for numerous reasons. The main point is I fly where I do, and the next guy flies in his area which the two are not the same. So no body should base my good fortune against their own, and so on...

And I have never had any compass issues either after 600 flights in different areas of the US!
But what you say is correct, people should do their own research and do what they believe is the better way to go.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I just posted my first post in another thread. Yes, my new P3A gave this message yesterday only on it's second flight, from the SAME location and exact spot. Flying over 10 ft above an approx 10 away. Interestingly you pay $1000 bucks with all add-ons but no resolution to this DJI bug?

Reactions: Ollie613
Maybe you should have paid extra for the optional 'change physical reality of electromagnetism'. Not sure what DJI charges for that.

Hello, I have currently done 4 flights on my P3A, all of which have at some point had a compass error. I ensure I calibrate the compass before each flight (Away from any metal objects), however during every flight I have received a compass error message. Sometimes if I slightly move the phantom closer to its home point it says safe to fly again, others it doesn't stop so I have to land in ATTI mode. I have even checked if there are any solar flares that could affect the compass. Does anyone else have this issue or is it a common occurance? If so is there an easy fix that doesn't require it to be sent back to dji? Thank you in advance for any replies!

My compass error developed and increased over a period of time.. P3P.. turns out the compass wire, 4 strand, with a 5 pin plug, had frayed insulation, visible with magnification, in the landing gear, under the antenna ‘snap-in’ plate (my part name). Two wires were exposed, one may have had some damage. Not sure if this was manufacturing problem, or with hours and hours of flying, the vibration may have gradually damaged the wire insulation – under some kind of a pressure point. I was unable to identify the compass wire part number, had to buy a landing gear, with compass, kit for $15. Replacement cleared up the problem..

My compass error developed and increased over a period of time.. P3P.. turns out the compass wire, 4 strand, with a 5 pin plug, had frayed insulation, visible with magnification, in the landing gear, under the antenna ‘snap-in’ plate (my part name). Two wires were exposed, one may have had some damage. Not sure if this was manufacturing problem, or with hours and hours of flying, the vibration may have gradually damaged the wire insulation – under some kind of a pressure point. I was unable to identify the compass wire part number, had to buy a landing gear, with compass, kit for $15. Replacement cleared up the problem..

@Dusty

What was the error message you received?

Also do have a txt flight log file where one of these compass issues took place?

Maybe you should have paid extra for the optional 'change physical reality of electromagnetism'. Not sure what DJI charges for that.
I think only Apple can get away with that.

Perhaps this is the reason DJI is trying to make friends with them?

Ok, here is the issue with compass calibration.

Lets say you don't calibrate per advice from some of you, what if you get a fly-away and because you did not calibrate before flight DJI will use this technicality to refuse replacement or repair.

So do we calibrate to avoid DJI claim issues even if not necessarily? See where I'm going with this?

Ok, here is the issue with compass calibration.
Lets say you don't calibrate per advice from some of you, what if you get a fly-away and because you did not calibrate before flight DJI will use this technicality to refuse replacement or repair.
So do we calibrate to avoid DJI claim issues even if not necessarily? See where I'm going with this?

DJI will look at the relevant points in your flight to ascertain what the cause of the issue was.
DJI will not use this technicality (failure to unnecessarily recalibrate the compass) to refuse replacement or repair.

Reactions: essence25
I am new to flying P3A, I have followed all the directions exactly as the manual reads and I regularly get compass errors. So far I am finding it very frustrating. Most of my flying is in open parks not close to any structures or power lines. In 20 minutes of flying I could have as many as half a dozen compass errors.
In addition to the error it is constantly switching to Atti Mode when I get the error.
Firmware is up to date on all devices
Any suggestions????

Last edited:
Return it, they are shipping me a replacement for the same issues you've described.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am new to flying P3A, I have followed all the directions exactly as the manual reads and I regularly get compass errors. So far I am finding it very frustrating. Most of my flying is in open parks not close to any structures or power lines. In 20 minutes of flying I could have as many as half a dozen compass errors.
In addition to the error it is constantly switching to Atti Mode when I get the error.
Firmware is up to date on all devices
Any suggestions????

Tom O'Brien - I received my P3A back from DJI for the same identical issue you are describing. The mainboard and compass unit were replaced at no charge. Total turn around time 1 week.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik