Compass Mod Values on P4A using Litchi?

Reaction score
So, I feel foolish. I went to fly my drone and got my very first calibrate compass warning. I tried to do it three times, but it was not working. DUH! Then I realized I was standing on a bridge, probably made up of huge amounts of steel under all that cement. Dumb.

So I have since re-calibrated the compass in a much friendlier area. But in reading about this issue, I am a bit afraid I might have done something bad to the bird. I have been reading about needing to get the compass MOD values because the drone won't always warn to re-calibrate even if the compass is off, yet I am not able to find how to do this.

I am currently using Litchi. Would someone please tell me how to find these values so that I can ensure that I have not hurt my drone by trying to calibrate it on a bridge?

I am currently using Litchi. Would someone please tell me how to find these values so that I can ensure that I have not hurt my drone by trying to calibrate it on a bridge?
As long as you re-caled in an appropriate area you are fine. Always look at the directional HP icon prior to takeoff such that it is oriented correctly and you should not have an issue. That is just something that I always look for in pre-flight and (knock on wood) have never had a compass issue or the need to re-calibrate in over a year. It has always been spot on. Never calibrate the compass unless you see the direction is off to a great degree.

Reactions: Lindsaybev
As long as you re-caled in an appropriate area you are fine. Always look at the directional HP icon prior to takeoff such that it is oriented correctly and you should not have an issue. That is just something that I always look for in pre-flight and (knock on wood) have never had a compass issue or the need to re-calibrate in over a year. It has always been spot on. Never calibrate the compass unless you see the direction is off to a great degree.
I can't believe I didn't put two and two together BEFORE I tried to recalibrate.....not to mention trying it a few times. I was so preoccupied with the water and the wire across the water....and the obvious metal bridge down river....that I didn't think about it until the third try. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Ugh. I still have yet to put it in the air. I will check it out in a large, clear field first. Hope all is well.

So, I feel foolish. I went to fly my drone and got my very first calibrate compass warning. I tried to do it three times, but it was not working. DUH! Then I realized I was standing on a bridge, probably made up of huge amounts of steel under all that cement.
If you had looked closely at the warning, it should have said:
Move the aircraft or calibrate the compass.
Here it is when I put the Phantom on my car roof:
i-5CPNRw6-M.png

Very few people notice the first half of the warning.
The calibrate compass part is very poor wording because it not going to fix the magnetic issue that the compass is warning about.
The correct action is to simply move away from the magnetic influence.

So I have since re-calibrated the compass in a much friendlier area. But in reading about this issue, I am a bit afraid I might have done something bad to the bird. I have been reading about needing to get the compass MOD values because the drone won't always warn to re-calibrate even if the compass is off, yet I am not able to find how to do this.
If you've calibrated and the Phantom hovers in place without want to spin slowly and it flies straight, everything is fine.

Your Phantom will never warn to recalibrate because you should NEVER need to recalibrate the compass unless you modify the Phantom.

I am currently using Litchi. Would someone please tell me how to find these values

You won't find the compass mod values in Litchi anywhere. That's one of the things DJI Go is useful for.

Reactions: Lindsaybev
If you had looked closely at the warning, it should have said:
Move the aircraft or calibrate the compass.
Here it is when I put the Phantom on my car roof:
i-5CPNRw6-M.png

Very few people notice the first half of the warning.
The calibrate compass part is very poor wording because it not going to fix the magnetic issue that the compass is warning about.
The correct action is to simply move away from the magnetic influence.

If you've calibrated and the Phantom hovers in place without want to spin slowly and it flies straight, everything is fine.

Your Phantom will never warn to recalibrate because you should NEVER need to recalibrate the compass unless you modify the Phantom.
Got it. No, the sun was very bright as well, and I did not see the entire warning. Thanks for the info!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20