Caught out in the rain

Reaction score
Was out for my second flight with my P3P today. Was about 12 minutes in when it started to lightly rain (was beaming sunshine on take off). I was about 500m away when the rain started and came back at full speed to land and get in doors. There was no change in the way it flew and landed perfect.

Does any one know if this may have caused any damage to the motors? They seem very exposed at the top. Just hope not to much rain got in.

I have flown my P2 in light rain and through fog before and it didnt appear to harm it. Just make sure it is well dried out before flying again and you should be fine.

I reckon it only got about a minute and half of light rain so hopefully not to much rain got into the motors. Just my luck on a sunny day!

Mmmm, wouldn't want to risk it. Just read the battery saftey guide and how it can effect them ie. swelling and in the worst case scenario becoming combustible.

Mmmm, wouldn't want to risk it. Just read the battery saftey guide and how it can effect them ie. swelling and in the worst case scenario becoming combustible.

Your comment does not address the situation. He wasn't asking whether it's a good idea to fly in the rain, but whether there was any damage possible from doing so.

Battery safety is not affected, unless somehow the contacts got wet, but even that is unlikely to cause "combustion." Did you even read his post before making your comment?

2trickpony has it right. Of course liquid and electronics don't mix, but it's fresh- not salt-water, and if you took precautions to dry your P3 completely, it should have no long term effects.

Put it in oven with just the fan (NO HEAT) going and a container on rice, that will soak up the moisture.

Your comment does not address the situation. He wasn't asking whether it's a good idea to fly in the rain, but whether there was any damage possible from doing so.

Battery safety is not affected, unless somehow the contacts got wet, but even that is unlikely to cause "combustion." Did you even read his post before making your comment?

Ahhhh, forum tough guy ha ha ha! Go get yourself a hug from someone close to you.

Travel at 20mph and see how much water gets into nooks and crannies brains.

It should not hurt the motors being there is nothing that's bare in side them for water to short any thing out The windings have to be coated with varnish or else the motors would not work if the electric did not flow threw the loops. and even the ends of the wires were they are soldered to the escs are a few inches inside the arms away from the motors. So you would have to be getting a lot of water inside to even risk it shorting out the wires at there ends. Them style brush less motors could even theoretically run under water completely submerged as long as the wires ends were protected.

But also from seeing how much conformal coating they seem to have on the p3s it still dont seem to likely that it could short. It looks like they practically poured it on. and not like the p2s and p2s were its just quickly brushed on the solder points.

Ive even seen p2s were the insides were coated with water repelling coating and they were crashing it under water to the bottom of a swimming pool and flying right out with out a problem. BTW That was very cool to see a phantom parked under water and then the would fire up the motors and it could out of the water lot a ballistic missile from a submarine.

Heavy rain might go through the little air gaps and because its heavy rain short something wich can cause a crash. In light and moderate rain dont worry.

Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I reckon I got my P3 out the rain soon enough to save to much water getting in. Nice and dry now :) Just can't wait to get out to fly again, such an awesome machine!

Reactions: J.James

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31