Can't Record Video

Reaction score
Been a lurker for a long while (thanks for all the help over the years!) and finally have an issue with my bird I can't seem to identify.

History: This drone has crashed once requiring a new roll arm. All parts of the bird appear to move and operate correctly otherwise. I can fly with no problems, however I am unable to record video. Actually, it will record video but only for a couple seconds before switching back to picture mode. I have attempted this with all combinations of drone and RC firmware by rolling drone back to each firmware version and attempting to record video using all available RC firmware before rolling back to next firmware version and repeating the process. I've also tried recording video using the DJI app (multiple versions) on both a Google Pixel & iPhone7. I've also tried with Litchi on Android. Lastly, I've tried different cards of different speeds to no avail. The following video shows my phone screen and the drone going through what happens when I try to switch to video recording, the steps are as follows:

1. Press Video button & Purple bars fill the image
2. Image freezes
3. Green light on drone turns off
4. DJI logo on screen
5. Camera detects movement for a few seconds
6. Drone and app reset to picture mode

The video settings do change what the image does (purple bars / multicolor bars / static) but every setting still switches back to picture mode. I feel like I've kinda ruled out the firmware, the operating system, and the app. What do I need to do to record video? Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Been a lurker for a long while (thanks for all the help over the years!) and finally have an issue with my bird I can't seem to identify.

History: This drone has crashed once requiring a new roll arm. All parts of the bird appear to move and operate correctly otherwise. I can fly with no problems, however I am unable to record video. Actually, it will record video but only for a couple seconds before switching back to picture mode. I have attempted this with all combinations of drone and RC firmware by rolling drone back to each firmware version and attempting to record video using all available RC firmware before rolling back to next firmware version and repeating the process. I've also tried recording video using the DJI app (multiple versions) on both a Google Pixel & iPhone7. I've also tried with Litchi on Android. Lastly, I've tried different cards of different speeds to no avail. The following video shows my phone screen and the drone going through what happens when I try to switch to video recording, the steps are as follows:

1. Press Video button & Purple bars fill the image
2. Image freezes
3. Green light on drone turns off
4. DJI logo on screen
5. Camera detects movement for a few seconds
6. Drone and app reset to picture mode

The video settings do change what the image does (purple bars / multicolor bars / static) but every setting still switches back to picture mode. I feel like I've kinda ruled out the firmware, the operating system, and the app. What do I need to do to record video? Thanks for any suggestions!

Your video doesn't work as you may not have checked the allow embedding box in the advanced settings.

Thanks! Didn't mean to come off like an expectant jerk, I misspelled able and my phone must have corrected it to about, changes the whole tone of the question lol

Just a thought - from left field. Is the micro-SD card inserted, formatted and has available space for recording a video? Sorry if this was a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious), I like to rule out the obvious problems before I start diving deep.

Just a thought - from left field. Is the micro-SD card inserted, formatted and has available space for recording a video? Sorry if this was a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious), I like to rule out the obvious problems before I start diving deep.
Yes sir, I'm formatted and attempted multiple cards. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Okay so after taking the gimbal and camera apart, I completely removed and reinstalled the ribbon cable and wouldn't you know, its working! I can only guess the cable wasn't seated perfectly and that was creating the issue. Whatever the reason, just happy to fly (and record!) again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4