Can you fly the phantom 4 without the camera/gimbal installed?

Reaction score
Hello! Is the Phantom 4 able to fly as normal without the camera/gimbal and still send telemtry data back to the rc?

Just want to confirm that the dji app/telemetry/distance and altitude wont be limited without the camera/gimbal installed as it is with the p3s.

Thank you for your help!

I fly a Phantom 3Advanced regularly for air quality research with gimbal/camera platform removed to make room for an instrument cluster mounted between the landing gear legs. Everything works fine. Easy to take off and replace that assembly.

What are you doing with it?

I fly a Phantom 3Advanced regularly for air quality research with gimbal/camera platform removed to make room for an instrument cluster mounted between the landing gear legs. Everything works fine. Easy to take off and replace that assembly.

What are you doing with it?
I am using it to map a network's lte/4g coverage. I have a phantom 3 professional that can fly without the camera/gimbal and still send telemetry and follow litchi routes. Just need to know if the phantom 4 can do this as well.

Anyone want to remove the camera and see if they can fly it? lol Thanks!

p.s. Would be flying this with the litchi app so if you want to test that for me that be amazing.

thanks for any help!

Yes. I know some who do that when teaching. That way if there is a crash, the camera isn't damaged.

Pretty sure you can as long as the bird is linked to the remote. I am too sick to try it right now. You might want to cover the giant hole where the gimbal should be.

Reactions: Nhicks00
Hello, I was looking to buy the phantom 2 or 3 to try to fly without the camera gimbal but what little info I found indicated I could fly but lose most of the app functionality and telemetry. But at least with the phantom3 Advanced there might be some hope.... Can you fly waypoint routes?

Hello, I was looking to buy the phantom 2 or 3 to try to fly without the camera gimbal but what little info I found indicated I could fly but lose most of the app functionality and telemetry. But at least with the phantom3 Advanced there might be some hope.... Can you fly waypoint routes?
I have a Phantom 2. If you disconnect the camera you lose access to the app and telemetry BUT there is a very simple mod you can do inside the drone - basically plugging the plug that DID go into the camera into a port called "Camera" and then you have app functionality and telemetry again. I have done it with mine. I use my Phantom 2 as a fishing drone, so I do not need the camera, and the camera didn't work when I bought it anyway.

I have a Phantom 2 Vision + and I have removed the camera. You can still keep telemetry if you take one of the gimbal plugs and plug it into the CAM port on the motherboard. It is pretty simple to do. I still have altitude, distance, battery level etc.

see post #2

Yes the P4 can fly without the camera assembly once the remote is linked. The main 3-in-1 heat sink gets cooled by the fan in the camera module so watch it does not get to hot without the fan fitted

Reactions: Droneted
Yes the P4 can fly without the camera assembly once the remote is linked. The main 3-in-1 heat sink gets cooled by the fan in the camera module so watch it does not get to hot without the fan fitted
I have a broken arm on my gimbel from a crash on my p4. I purchased a replacement aircraft. I’m hoping I can just attach my old gimbel and still have it functional.. any thoughts?

Reactions: Droneted
I have a broken arm on my gimbel from a crash on my p4. I purchased a replacement aircraft. I’m hoping I can just attach my old gimbel and still have it functional.. any thoughts?
Would you not need to repair the gimbal prior to attaching it to your new aircraft?
Replacement aircraft doesn’t have a camera?

I can fix the broken gimbal very reasonably or swap it for a refurbished. I am in upstate New York near Rochester

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers