Can the police tell me i can't fly my drone in a park

I think it's just about safety. If the drone catches a branch and falls on someone, who knows.... maybe the police officer is a drone flyer too and knows the risk and just looking out for you.

Saying that the best way to look at it is like this....

If you fly in a field its fine, but if a farmer said " oi get orf me land oor arrr" then I'm pretty sure you would.

Same rules but a different place [emoji6]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I gave some simple examples of potential offences that are within the jurisdiction of police to allege. My point was police may sight offences with respect to drone use that have nothing to do with FAA regs/ I don't recall suggesting any of the examples I provided were likely.

Yes, but they were in my opinion, pretty remote even for the police. That is why I asked where you live. I should have asked what country. We are getting to be a police state, but hopefully not as much as what you implied in your examples. I thought it a bit much. Thanks.

I am new to drone piloting but I am sure if there is not a local ordinance using prior notice or permission and permits from the park and city may help. Film production companies usually obtain permits even when they work in public spaces. Provisions may also apply if you are doing commercial photography. Good luck. Hope to here how it works out.

My daughter recently visited with us (we live on the East Coast, she's in LA) and she wanted to go to a park we used to take her to when she was little for a picnic and she asked me to take my P3 to fly-when we got there I sought out the park ranger (small county park in Montgomery County Pa) and asked if there was any problem with me flying-he said there had been problems with others previously flying too close to people in the picnic area so there was a TOTAL BAN on flying in the park...he was apologetic about it, especially since there was no one in the park at the time, but he said it was posted (it was) and he couldn't make any exception.
So wonder why some of us have a problem with people who act like 'cowboys' and ruin it for all of us-yeah, I know that technically I still probably could have taken off from another location but would that just reinforce their perception that UAV's (drones) are a problem that require strict prohibitions? If the idiots who caused the ban had some maturity about how they handled themselves, it would not have negatively impacted others. That is why it is a point of contention with some of us when we read of people who fly over busy roads, in crowded venues, too close to other aircraft, or out of VLOS-it makes no difference if I do the right thing if someone else is going to ruin it for me and others who want to be careful with this new technology. Like anything else, your actions have consequences.

Reactions: Schnoidz
My daughter recently visited with us (we live on the East Coast, she's in LA) and she wanted to go to a park we used to take her to when she was little for a picnic and she asked me to take my P3 to fly-when we got there I sought out the park ranger (small county park in Montgomery County Pa) and asked if there was any problem with me flying-he said there had been problems with others previously flying too close to people in the picnic area so there was a TOTAL BAN on flying in the park...he was apologetic about it, especially since there was no one in the park at the time, but he said it was posted (it was) and he couldn't make any exception.
So wonder why some of us have a problem with people who act like 'cowboys' and ruin it for all of us-yeah, I know that technically I still probably could have taken off from another location but would that just reinforce their perception that UAV's (drones) are a problem that require strict prohibitions? If the idiots who caused the ban had some maturity about how they handled themselves, it would not have negatively impacted others. That is why it is a point of contention with some of us when we read of people who fly over busy roads, in crowded venues, too close to other aircraft, or out of VLOS-it makes no difference if I do the right thing if someone else is going to ruin it for me and others who want to be careful with this new technology. Like anything else, your actions have consequences.

Well drones aren't really that regulated, anyone can buy one online or in the store and as of right now laws aren't that stringent, yes you can get in trouble by the FAA and all that but catching people is hard.

That coupled with the fact anyone can buy them, you mostly have people that lack common sense and knowledge of the law and they fly their drones willy nilly and they ruin it for the rest of us. Thing is there are more people that ruin it for the rest of us than there are people that follow the rules.

Reactions: mmtphoto
Well drones aren't really that regulated, anyone can buy one online or in the store and as of right now laws aren't that stringent, yes you can get in trouble by the FAA and all that but catching people is hard.

That coupled with the fact anyone can buy them, you mostly have people that lack common sense and knowledge of the law and they fly their drones willy nilly and they ruin it for the rest of us. Thing is there are more people that ruin it for the rest of us than there are people that follow the rules.

I hope that last sentence is wrong, otherwise UAV's will be consigned to indoor air rinks and museums.

Reactions: Schnoidz
Bad luck.

Get a 107 and you can fly as a non-hobby aircraft :grinning:
Even with a commercial license, if his HOA community says no flying then he can not take off or land on that property. He can go across the street (assuming everything else is legal) and fly over his community, since the community doesn't control the National Air Space. Part 107 commercial pilots like us are not exempt from these types of ordinances.

I hope that last sentence is wrong, otherwise UAV's will be consigned to indoor air rinks and museums.
Well i'm pretty sure 1 person didn't just ruin it at that park, it's probably happened a lot more than once so they had to ruin it for everyone.

I mean, the majority of people that buy drones don't get on the forums and become hardcore hobbyists, most people I believe just buy the drones and go out and fly them and have no clue about the rules.

Yes, but they were in my opinion, pretty remote even for the police. That is why I asked where you live. I should have asked what country. We are getting to be a police state, but hopefully not as much as what you implied in your examples. I thought it a bit much. Thanks.
We are in the same page, no suggestion from me as to likelihood. I was simply answering the question, i.e can local law enforcement (police) ask you not to fly. The answer can be yes and they can sight laws they have authority to administer in doing so (outside the scope of those administered by the FAA). I don't know the OP, where he was or how he was conducting his flight however I suspect most of the examples I quoted would not be applicable to his circumstances. And where I am (Australia) if a law enforcement officer, in the conduct of their official duties, asks you for identification you are compelled to provide it. Answering questions and further assisting with their enquiries is another matter.

As of 5-12-2016 according to the FAA drone registration database, there are 461,433 Hobbyists, 8,417 Non-Hobbyists, for a total of 459,384 United States Only - Does not include outlying countries.

It would helpful if in situations where we drone pilots are not flying crazy, that we push back a little bit. State our case with the Police and talk with them and ask them to see the ordinance, ask them where the sign declaring it illegal is posted. Other signs are posted with no drinking, dogs on leash etc. Many times the police do not know of an ordinance against flying. They just know that if you leave, the problem or complaint goes away.

Whether they or anybody else likes it, drones are here to stay. Show them the drone, let them see how it works. You may not win your case and they still won't let you fly, but they will at least learn something. It won't happen unless we stand up for our rights. Most cities or municipalities making and ordinance against drone flying have no idea what a drone is or how it performs by the majority of good decent hobbyists. I wish us all luck in our flying.

Thanks RW-1. I'm actually on good terms with the park director and have in the past supplied him with (ground based) photos of a nesting pair of Osprey. I'm a very polite person and although I'm 60 and still look like a leftover from the 60's, I've never been harassed by the police. I've had encounters with them but my polite non-confrontational manner has always made it a pleasant encounter.
It's amazing what can be achieved by showing a little respect, a positive attitude and proper etiquette. Especially to LEO's who are possibly questioning or instructing you in a professional capacity. And as a Bonus, it seems to have the affect of lessening their feelings of a need shoot you. :smirk:

I'm a newbie. Before multi-rotors changed the RC flying world, where would you guys fly if you were not flying at a legal flying field? Would you launch it from in front of your home and buzz around the neighborhoods? Strap a camera on it and check out the scenery? Are there places on the internet that will specifically list Where We Can Fly?
check out the app b4youfly

Reactions: Scott King
I think you are thinking too much into what the OP was asking.

Thanks. Obviously if the police ask me to go, I am going to go. Not going to cause an issue. But if I am hired to photograph something and I have every legal right to do so I want to be able to follow all the protocols but still protect my rights as an Airman.

It's amazing what can be achieved by showing a little respect, a positive attitude and proper etiquette. Especially to LEO's who are possibly questioning or instructing you in a professional capacity. And as a Bonus, it seems to have the affect of lessening their feelings of a need shoot you. :smirk:

Absolutely, think about it this way: Who do Police deal with a majority of their day, and how are they treated?

"I wasn't speeding officer, I was flying while touching the ground ... hint hint wink wink.

"Thing is there are more people that ruin it for the rest of us than there are people that follow the rules."

10% Rule.

It onlny takes a few, with an accident to ruin it.

LOS flight rules, who's guilty of not staying LOS? All those over the clouds videos on You Tube.

I've seen plenty of videos posted happily of flyers going out distance wise and you know full well they cant see it at that distance. The ones into clouds at 1-2K ft or higher really bother me as a pilot, someone else could be on a IFR plan in that layer and you wouldn't know about it until ...

We celebrate the wonderful accomplishments of technology, and "Wow, that's awesome and I can't wait to try that", yet, technically ....

If I had a P3A / P3P / P4, would I go out of sight? Likely. But depending on the plan, I'd have an observer, and that's my full scale pilot thinking in effect before 107 came into being.

But for all the reasons - I'd be in violation, plain and simple. To tell the truth it's not worth my other ratings to risk it. :) Quite the dilemma eh?

Absolutely, think about it this way: Who do Police deal with a majority of their day, and how are they treated?

"I wasn't speeding officer, I was flying while touching the ground ... hint hint wink wink.

"Thing is there are more people that ruin it for the rest of us than there are people that follow the rules."

10% Rule.

It onlny takes a few, with an accident to ruin it.

LOS flight rules, who's guilty of not staying LOS? All those over the clouds videos on You Tube.

I've seen plenty of videos posted happily of flyers going out distance wise and you know full well they cant see it at that distance. The ones into clouds at 1-2K ft or higher really bother me as a pilot, someone else could be on a IFR plan in that layer and you wouldn't know about it until ...

We celebrate the wonderful accomplishments of technology, and "Wow, that's awesome and I can't wait to try that", yet, technically ....

If I had a P3A / P3P / P4, would I go out of sight? Likely. But depending on the plan, I'd have an observer, and that's my full scale pilot thinking in effect before 107 came into being.

But for all the reasons - I'd be in violation, plain and simple. To tell the truth it's not worth my other ratings to risk it. :) Quite the dilemma eh?

Until they come up with some way to monitor people flying their drones I don't know how the FAA and law enforcement is going to crack down on people flying at extreme heights or going out miles. Drones are such a hard thing to govern.

I wish I was smart i'd invent some kind of GPS thing that transmits to the local airport in the area so they could track the drones. Because really if they can't be tracked then they can't be caught until something else happens.

DJI is on the right path with the obstacle avoidance but I think it some how has to communicate with aircraft near by so that they couldn't fly as high or close to them.

To prevent any type of scene, land pack up, then ask questions politely. Because right or wrong you could be taking a ride as stated above. I always check State and federal laws first and print them out and put them in my Drone tool box. Due to homeland security issues there has been a lot of changes! And if you make the authority's mad they can legally detain you for up to 24 hours until things have checked out.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Until they come up with some way to monitor people flying their drones I don't know how the FAA and law enforcement is going to crack down on people flying at extreme heights or going out miles. Drones are such a hard thing to govern.

I wish I was smart i'd invent some kind of GPS thing that transmits to the local airport in the area so they could track the drones. Because really if they can't be tracked then they can't be caught until something else happens.

DJI is on the right path with the obstacle avoidance but I think it some how has to communicate with aircraft near by so that they couldn't fly as high or close to them.

If Drones were requirted to have ADB-B (Basically a IFF beacon for collision avoidance) then that would be what you are thinking about, not only would they show up on local radar but on aircraft with that equipment as well.

ADS-B – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Seems to me this is a good example of the rules of public photography and drone usage might be in conflict, to a degree.

Best rule to follow is follow LEO direction, even if they're being a jerk. Is any footage worth being arrested (even if improper), taxed, or shot? If you're doing paid work, you should have documentation from the client AND your city/county/state permit. That would shut down the conflict in a matter of seconds (most of the time). If it's "fun" flying, pick your battles and return later with proof you are able to fly in that location. If you can't find adequate "proof", presume the officer is correct.

Transponders with Mode C. I hope that never happens. There not cheap, and not small. That would definitely cut down on the number of drone owners. Maybe we need a group like AOPA that will help protect and lobby for us. Or maybe become part of them. Up here the FFA always seems to be the enemy. It is best to work with the police at the time. Then prove they where wrong after wards. That can be very frustrating. Been there , done that, more then once.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj