Can the police tell me i can't fly my drone in a park

Transponders with Mode C. I hope that never happens. There not cheap, and not small. That would definitely cut down on the number of drone owners. Maybe we need a group like AOPA that will help protect and lobby for us. Or maybe become part of them. Up here the FFA always seems to be the enemy. It is best to work with the police at the time. Then prove they where wrong after wards. That can be very frustrating. Been there , done that, more then once.

Yep, along with the added weight it would be a huge power drain issue. Drones would get bigger, heavier, and much more expensive.

What I'd like to see is an organization formed similar the the R-C clubs' AMA. But for UAV's. I've hinted to the mods and admins of this forum that they should consider such an endeavor, maybe with manufacturers backing, to further the drone industry here in the US. This MAY eliminate FAA's involvement in overregulation if published guidelines were followed by its members. This would be the national CBO that both hobbyists and Part107 pilots need.

Then, the Drone Pilots CBO becomes the lobbying partner you eluded to above.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

At the end of the day COMMON SENSE should prevail. In my experience the guy wearing the badge has the upper hand. Whether he is right or wrong is an issue that should be resolved through research. However, at the moment in time COMMON SENSE says there is only one response to the authority. And that is, "Yes sir, I will bring the drone in immediately. I am sorry I did not realize I was in violation." I will end with this. As we say in the south, "You can draw more flies with honey than crap!"

Reactions: Apilot101
At the end of the day COMMON SENSE should prevail. In my experience the guy wearing the badge has the upper hand. Whether he is right or wrong is an issue that should be resolved through research. However, at the moment in time COMMON SENSE says there is only one response to the authority. And that is, "Yes sir, I will bring the drone in immediately. I am sorry I did not realize I was in violation." I will end with this. As we say in the south, "You can draw more flies with honey than crap!"

And you will also have no place to fly. It's okay to start up a conversation in a polite and friendly manner letting that person know you feel they are wrong and why. Yes, you should land your AC. But, it is your responsibility to find out why they say you can't fly or whatever the issue is and if you don't know if it is true or not to pack up, go home and do your research.

Then if you are correct, you should fly there again or go to where that person works (if you know) and if they (whoever they is) tells you again not to fly there, you should be prepared with your research or whatever you need to prove them wrong.

I think it is always wrong to blindly stop doing what you are doing just because someone says to (police, or any other person) without asking them why. This is a free country. We can do whatever we want so long as it doesn't affect other people's freedoms. See Article 9 of the constitution.

Reactions: Neon Euc and MikeK
And you will also have no place to fly. It's okay to start up a conversation in a polite and friendly manner letting that person know you feel they are wrong and why. Yes, you should land your AC. But, it is your responsibility to find out why they say you can't fly or whatever the issue is and if you don't know if it is true or not to pack up, go home and do your research.

Then if you are correct, you should fly there again or go to where that person works (if you know) and if they (whoever they is) tells you again not to fly there, you should be prepared with your research or whatever you need to prove them wrong.

I think it is always wrong to blindly stop doing what you are doing just because someone says to (police, or any other person) without asking them why. This is a free country. We can do whatever we want so long as it doesn't affect other people's freedoms. See Article 9 of the constitution.

In principle, of course you're right. In practice, however, it's unfortunately not always possible to have a rational discussion of disagreement involving a police officer these days. For perspective, except in very rare circumstances, our particular activity isn't helping save a life, so if a police officer tells you not to fly and firmly believes you can't, arguing (even respectfully) is not going to do anything but likely escalate the situation. Ask yourself one simple question: is the location or activity being recorded worth detainment or arrest? In some instances it might very well be (such as recording a violent action or police misconduct). Is it more prudent and productive to stop, go research the issue in detail, then return with incontrovertible proof that your activity is legal? I'd suggest this is virtually always going to yield the better outcome.

In principle, of course you're right. In practice, however, it's unfortunately not always possible to have a rational discussion of disagreement involving a police officer these days. For perspective, except in very rare circumstances, our particular activity isn't helping save a life, so if a police officer tells you not to fly and firmly believes you can't, arguing (even respectfully) is not going to do anything but likely escalate the situation. Ask yourself one simple question: is the location or activity being recorded worth detainment or arrest? In some instances it might very well be (such as recording a violent action or police misconduct). Is it more prudent and productive to stop, go research the issue in detail, then return with incontrovertible proof that your activity is legal? I'd suggest this is virtually always going to yield the better outcome.

Basically in different words, you said the same thing I said. I guess we agree. And, of course every situation is different and requires the thought process of those are in the situation to act with prudence and judgement.

I was recently photographing a bridge in a park and the police stopped me and told me that drones were not allowed in the park. Do the police have the authority to tell me that I cannot fly my drone since they do not control the airspace. If I'm flying with a legal license and authorization from the FAA control facility can I continue to operate my drone? The unmanned aircraft Pilot's Handbook says I am not required to present my license or certifications to just any official Authority only an FAA authorized inspector

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I was to be simple and direct on your post without knowing anything else about the situation or reading anything else into it, the answer is simply:
YES they have the authority to tell you to stop flying in the park on that day and circumstance REGARDLESS of any statute, law , rule, ordinance etc etc. that might allow you to do so.
Simply by saying it appeared to be a Hazard to Public Safety. ("Pig's Prerogative" or "Small ***** Syndrome") as I've heard said.
No, not in the Park unless you have found out differently and gone to the Police Station and re - educated them in a friendly, businesslike manner. They are human(oid) , and necessary to some extent.
Yes....present the ******* license and explain with the smile you thought it looked like a great place for some pictures...whatever. If nothing else you want to afford yourself a graceful retreat....then you can arm yourself heavily and fight the good fight.
But seriously.....try to avoid giving these types the ego boost and thrill they glean from subjecting you to torture and the like.
Walk like an egyptian and other than that spend a great deal of time and energy researching and/or enacting some of the ordinances that are surely in the wind with all this.

Just finished reading through,(most of), the 5 pages of this thread. It has woven back and forth through the various stages of passionate self righteous questioning of authority. There are suggestions of inflammatory behavior, (physical and verbal), passive resistance, cool logical legal dissections, blind obedience and, thankfully, reversion to common sense courtesy.
I realize maybe better than most the pitfalls of dealing with like situations involving law enforcement and authority entities. Unfortunately we can't predict that every "authority figure" we encounter in our lives is going to react like "this" or "that". Even more ironic in our justice system is that a great majority of those we entrust with some authority are cruel, corrupt and evil individuals by nature. Sometimes even in spite of us treating them with respect and decency, individuals such as that are going to use their credentials to exert their will, and /or force of some kind, upon your "person, life or liberty".
When we CANNOT deal with such people with logic and science and common sense is where the forefathers were wise enough to give us the 2nd Amendment and Constitutional Carry laws like we have in Maine.
We just need pray that it's enough.

ULTIMATELY a pilot needs to consider what MAY come beneath their craft and their options on dealing with such eventualities as well. Should they lose power, control, consciousness etc. waht de *** hapn now.
I mean it's only been a couple months I have had my P4, but I knew the first day this was NOT something I'd want hitting my car windshield. I knew by the 4th flight, (in sport mode) that it could DEFINITELY be a problem hitting a human or pet. AND It would definitely be friggin annoying as hell to be listening to if I was tryin to chill somewhere etc.
SOOOOO....I guess it just comes down to being understanding and again some common sense courtesy.
Have fun and use your heads. I kinda don't think Parks are appropriate.

Reactions: Scott King and NRJ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic