Lost my drone a few weeks ago, got it back today.

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
I was photographing around the San Rafael Swell in Utah last month and tried to squeeze another few shots off before returning to home, but there wasn't enough juice and the drone went into safe landing mode somewhere I couldn't tell. I searched for hours and did not find it. Since there was no cell service I couldn't see the flight log path over a map on my controller until I got home in CA. I DID have my FAA reg # and my name and phone # on it. I got a text this week from a hiker who found it, showing me a picture of it and asking 'Is this yours?'. YES,YES! He was nice enough to send it to me, and it is in fine shape. I was pretty bummed at the loss that day, but I did have my backup drone and finished my 11 day trip photographing from the air. Lessons: Always heed the low battery warnings, and buy a nice labelmaker! I was delighted to retrieve the images from the memory card, especially after the unit was laying in a canyon in the sun for three weeks. Here's a picture of the area I was exploring. This was not like flying in the local park. So amazing that I have my Phantom back!!

I was photographing around the San Rafael Swell in Utah last month and tried to squeeze another few shots off before returning to home, but there wasn't enough juice and the drone went into safe landing mode somewhere I couldn't tell. I searched for hours and did not find it. Since there was no cell service I couldn't see the flight log path over a map on my controller until I got home in CA. I DID have my FAA reg # and my name and phone # on it. I got a text this week from a hiker who found it, showing me a picture of it and asking 'Is this yours?'. YES,YES! He was nice enough to send it to me, and it is in fine shape. I was pretty bummed at the loss that day, but I did have my backup drone and finished my 11 day trip photographing from the air. Lessons: Always heed the low battery warnings, and buy a nice labelmaker! I was delighted to retrieve the images from the memory card, especially after the unit was laying in a canyon in the sun for three weeks. Here's a picture of the area I was exploring. This was not like flying in the local park. So amazing that I have my Phantom back!!

View attachment 110996
Great to read a good outcome and beautiful picture

Amazing territory. Was the video of the site where it landed of no help? You should have it on the remote.

Amazing territory. Was the video of the site where it landed of no help? You should have it on the remote.

I did not shoot video on that flight. But the flight logs were helpful.

Last edited:
Great story & happy ending.
Would the DAT file have the Lat/Long co-ordinates of where it last sat down?

If you haven't already, surprise the person with a gift certificate in the mail to REI or?
One good deed.....

Great story & happy ending.
Would the DAT file have the Lat/Long co-ordinates of where it last sat down?

If you haven't already, surprise the person with a gift certificate in the mail to REI or?
One good deed.....

Thanks! I compensated him sufficiently even though he didn't want it.

Love a happy ending. Glad you got it returned. Looks like the Phantom did it's job auto landing safely in that terrain. And yes, having your contact information on your drone has to increase your chances of recovery tremendously (hint to others). As others have said, most people are nice if they can contact you. Kiss that drone and get it back in the air. BTW, fabulous photo.

Reactions: JeffreyS
Bravo!

God bless that guy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers