Can motors cut off mid-flight in the same way as for prior models?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

we can use a certain CSC (Combination Stick Command) to switch on / or off the motors when the helicopter is landed:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Combination_Stick_Command

According to the following video and some other sites, people are able to crash their older phantoms when executing the same command in mid air (either accidentally or on purpose):
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Two questions please:
1) Can this also happen when flying the new Phantom 3 Professional?
2) Is there any way to change the setup and switch this feature off at all cost?
3) According to the following forum post, one can quickly reingage the motors again in cases SCS was done by accident:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/engine-cut-off-during-flight-wtf.1042/
Can anybody confirm that this would prevent a diving throne from crashing?

I am too newbie and scared to try out all these options myself :(
But some rep from DJI should know that.

Thanks everyone!
JF

I have been flying for a while and have never come close to sending the CSC command while flying... Think about what a weird extreme maneuver that is in the air...

Hello everyone,

we can use a certain CSC (Combination Stick Command) to switch on / or off the motors when the helicopter is landed:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Combination_Stick_Command

According to the following video and some other sites, people are able to crash their older phantoms when executing the same command in mid air (either accidentally or on purpose):

Two questions please:
1) Can this also happen when flying the new Phantom 3 Professional?
2) Is there any way to change the setup and switch this feature off at all cost?
3) According to the following forum post, one can quickly reingage the motors again in cases SCS was done by accident:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/engine-cut-off-during-flight-wtf.1042/
Can anybody confirm that this would prevent a diving throne from crashing?

I am too newbie and scared to try out all these options myself :(
But some rep from DJI should know that.

Thanks everyone!
JF
Read this thread, it's a good read.http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/crash-from-80-feet-total-destruction.44364/

Reactions: Johnny F
The CSC combinations are a bit different for the Phantom 3:

P3-CSC.png

Reactions: Johnny F
Hello everyone, thank you for your quick answers. Here are my thoughts:

1) I read through dalebb's link and now understand that CSC is not entirely unlikely. Here is what can happen: As in dalebb's example, assume you are filming a moving target from the front. Thus, you are flying backwards (one of the 4 binary conditions permanently fulfilled). Then you go left and right in front of the moving target (like a boat). Then you want to loose height at the same time. Now you have 3 out of 4 conditions fulfilled, and this flight manourver is entirely possible (many people commented on forums that it would be super unlikely ever to engage in any of the CSC combinations, I beg to disagree). Ok, now you also hit the left lever to left or right (say you wanted to spin). And there you have the CSC.

2) I am a bit worried of what happened today. I was flying back my drone across some valley when I saw some birds of prey came close. Looking back, I could imagine me doing stupid rapid movements in a moment of despair that would also engage CSC.

3) I am a newbie, but still allow me to make two humble recommendations to DJI:
a) Please give users some option in the DJI pilot to limit or change the CSC. At least to choose between alternative versions of engaging CSC in flight. Instead of 2 options, limit to 1. And let me choose. Or having a professional mode where CSC above ground is completel deactivated at all. Or requires a more unliekly combination (like first outter corners, then quickly inner corners).
b) I read through the manual (The phantom does not come with a manual, but you can find it online when searching). I read throught the entire manual, but not super careful. I have missed the statement on page 46 warning of CSC in mid-air. It would be helpful to emphasize this somehow more.

Thanks again for the quick comments. I am super enthused by my first three Phantom 3 flights. (but I am now a bit scarred of hitting CSC by accident).

Reactions: dalebb
Thank you for your support

I don't turn the corner anymore, I stay at 30', and just go forward and back because the flying camera can not do moves without self destructing.

This is a commonly discussed subject. And yes, strangely you can do it. But unless you just throw the sticks round randomly and in an extreme way, there is virtually no chance it would happen my mistake.

I'd like for it to be more difficult to turn of the motors in air. And just thinking about it is scary. However, I've flown hundreds of times (82 with the P3 alone) and it is not really an issue. Don't worry about it, just know that you shouldn't try. And lets hope they figure out a smarter way to offer turning off engines in the air in the future that won't provoke all the concern that the CSC does.

The way you should turn off (in my opinion) the motors after landing (I always hand-land by the way - catch it) is going Throttle down full for a few seconds. This will NOT turn off the motors in air - and can be safely used to descend at the full 3 meters per second speed. I do this all the time - but remember that I too was worried that maybe holding down the throttle for a long time might turn off the motors. It does not. Only the CSC - Combination Stick Command, using both sticks to an extreme position, will turn off the motors like that.

This is a commonly discussed subject. And yes, strangely you can do it. But unless you just throw the sticks round randomly and in an extreme way, there is virtually no chance it would happen my mistake.

I'd like for it to be more difficult to turn of the motors in air. And just thinking about it is scary. However, I've flown hundreds of times (82 with the P3 alone) and it is not really an issue. Don't worry about it, just know that you shouldn't try. And lets hope they figure out a smarter way to offer turning off engines in the air in the future that won't provoke all the concern that the CSC does.

The way you should turn off (in my opinion) the motors after landing (I always hand-land by the way - catch it) is going Throttle down full for a few seconds. This will NOT turn off the motors in air - and can be safely used to descend at the full 3 meters per second speed. I do this all the time - but remember that I too was worried that maybe holding down the throttle for a long time might turn off the motors. It does not. Only the CSC - Combination Stick Command, using both sticks to an extreme position, will turn off the motors like that.
I totally agree with your last two paragraphs. But not the the first one. "But unless you just throw the sticks round randomly and in an extreme way, there is virtually no chance it would happen my mistake."

I find it funny you find the same common denominator in every one of these threads. Try to justify the most epic failure, CSC is no where near a useabl flying command under any CONDITION!

Just keep ragging on the newbies till they don't post anymore cause the Rat Pack will just jump on them and tell them how stupid they are. you guys have ruined this forum for the newbies that would like to learn and not be shamed for the stupid **** we do. I'm sorry we can't all be as great pilots as you must think you are, oh excuse me, Aces.

The point of a forum is to help each other, not put them down. you guys make it like an OLD BOYS CLUB. If you do a stupid move you are a Monkey with a joy stick. I have to say you guys are no help at all and just demeaning to the new people looking for some advice and tips. You say this OP has not posted to his post in 12 days, it's no wonder.

You old boys just jump down everyone's throat about how stupid they are and RTFM. Did you know my P3A did not come with a manual? Just a quick start guide.

I got to tell you I am done with you guys sh*ting on the new guys and women, ban me if you must. I will help them without making them feel like ****.

Good day.

Just keep ragging on the newbies till they don't post anymore cause the Rat Pack will just jump on them and tell them how stupid they are. you guys have ruined this forum for the newbies that would like to learn and not be shamed for the stupid **** we do. I'm sorry we can't all be as great pilots as you must think you are, oh excuse me, Aces.

The point of a forum is to help each other, not put them down. you guys make it like an OLD BOYS CLUB. If you do a stupid move you are a Monkey with a joy stick. I have to say you guys are no help at all and just demeaning to the new people looking for some advice and tips. You say this OP has not posted to his post in 12 days, it's no wonder.

You old boys just jump down everyone's throat about how stupid they are and RTFM. Did you know my P3A did not come with a manual? Just a quick start guide.

I got to tell you I am done with you guys sh*ting on the new guys and women, ban me if you must. I will help them without making them feel like ****.

Good day.

Not at all.. You continue to justify those poor moves. That's the problem.

Reactions: jlo and mmee1992
Hello everyone,

thank you all for your views! Let's see if we can find something that everyone here agrees with:

1) Can it be that different users have different needs. Some will only fly forwards, for 1000s of hours. And they are now super profi flyers. They never feel the need to go backwards. Those frequent flyers may consider flying backwards a very poor way of flying.
2) Can there be any damage in giving users the options to define their own combination to shut down their motors?

All the best!

Hello everyone,

thank you all for your views! Let's see if we can find something that everyone here agrees with:

1) Can it be that different users have different needs. Some will only fly forwards, for 1000s of hours. And they are now super profi flyers. They never feel the need to go backwards. Those frequent flyers may consider flying backwards a very poor way of flying.
2) Can there be any damage in giving users the options to define their own combination to shut down their motors?

All the best!

You can fly backwards all you want. Just not with full throttle down, full yaw, full roll and back elevator.

CSC has been this way on dji since I started flying them in 2011. There just is no 100% full proof CSC.

But I will add to suggestions, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlo and dalebb
Hello everyone,

All the best!
I would like to comment, but i have been reprimanded.

I would think that a firmware update would be able to disable the use of csc when the phantom knows that's it's more than a few feet off the ground or that the propellers are running at a certain percentage that would be required to hold it in a hover....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.