Can motors cut off mid-flight in the same way as for prior models?

Must have a way to turn to disarm the craft in case of emergency.

Reactions: jlo and mmee1992
Hello everyone,

we can use a certain CSC (Combination Stick Command) to switch on / or off the motors when the helicopter is landed:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Combination_Stick_Command

According to the following video and some other sites, people are able to crash their older phantoms when executing the same command in mid air (either accidentally or on purpose):

Two questions please:
1) Can this also happen when flying the new Phantom 3 Professional?
2) Is there any way to change the setup and switch this feature off at all cost?
3) According to the following forum post, one can quickly reingage the motors again in cases SCS was done by accident:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/engine-cut-off-during-flight-wtf.1042/
Can anybody confirm that this would prevent a diving throne from crashing?

I am too newbie and scared to try out all these options myself :(
But some rep from DJI should know that.

Thanks everyone!
JF
1. Yes for sure - it is in manual.
2 and 3 - I have no clue

I would think that a firmware update would be able to disable the use of csc when the phantom knows that's it's more than a few feet off the ground or that the propellers are running at a certain percentage that would be required to hold it in a hover....

What if you lose control, say one propeller is broken and it is rotating crazy going in the crowd. I bet you want to know how to stop engines at this moment

Must have a way to turn to disarm the craft in case of emergency.

Agree. But now we have extra buttons on the remote. So if the CSC could be combined with pressing one of the buttons on the backside of the P3 remote control, the CSC-concern would be a non-issue. At least it would be nice if it could be configured to work like that. Just to give people peace of mind.

Reactions: jlo
I find it funny you find the same common denominator in every one of these threads. Try to justify the most epic failure, CSC is no where near a useabl flying command under any CONDITION!

I agree 100%. Think about how crazy the phantom would look flying around with those stick commands. In my opinion even in the boat filming situation there is no reason to perform that command unless you want your video to look like it was filmed by a child. We need some new stickies on this forum so people will stop posting this issue every day. I don't have any issue with people reposting questions because thats what a forum is for, asking questions. But it seems like every day a certain somebody is trying to wave us all in to his pity party.

Agree. But now we have extra buttons on the remote. So if the CSC could be combined with pressing one of the buttons on the backside of the P3 remote control, the CSC-concern would be a non-issue. At least it would be nice if it could be configured to work like that. Just to give people peace of mind.

I can already see all the threads that say "I bumped that back button and my bird dropped out of the sky, it's DJI's fault"

Reactions: bbfpv
CSC is useful to cut off in emergency. I don't think DJI should change this.
Even from my (very limited, however) experience of flying other acrobatic copters, any "full" operation is rarely necessary. Do everything within 80 or 95%. And DJI CSC is 4 combinations of full operations...
Also remember Phantom is "flying tripod." Rapid yaw causes dizziness, rapid aileron causes gimbal shake, and rapid descend causes vortex ring (limited however). Only rapid forward is necessary for distance record here. ;)

P.S. the boat shooting, or POI shooting is discussed in other thread. The topic was, how the small amount of yaw movement (maybe 360 degree/30-60 sec) to make precisely... P3 rotates 360deg/2sec in full yaw operation.

I can already see all the threads that say "I bumped that back button and my bird dropped out of the sky, it's DJI's fault"

Hehe

My (not fully thought thru) idea was to have to do the CSC+press a button. That could in absolutely no reasonable situation happen by mistake.

I think you'd be surprised, especially if the button was too accessible from where your fingertips rest..

I would be surprised :) After all, it (pretty much) takes a deliberate action to press CTRL+ALT+DEL on a Windows computer. It takes a lot less 'deliberate action' to just press CTRL+DEL . CSC+button press would make it close to impossible to shut off the motors in flight by mistake.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: woobisah
You'll never please everyone no matter what you do.

If you go with the sticks full backward descending will this kill the motors?

If you go with the sticks full backward descending will this kill the motors?

This would be a good time to review the manual again, esp. page 46.

Yes, go to the beginning of this thread. By the time you return here you'll know.

I can't believe how much confusion there is over this CSC topic. If you fly using the pitch/roll/yaw as you would when flying a plane or heli, you have nothing to worry about. If you decide to fly like a wounded bat in a flat spin, then don't be surprised when it proceeds to fall like a rock instead.

I'll show [the proverbial] you how to fish, more than once if necessary, but I won't give you any of my fish..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj