P3P motors died mid-flight for a split second, fell out of sky

Reaction score
Something weird happened the other day with my 4 week old P3P. Never had any issues at all, neither with my P3P or my previous P2V+, but just after take-off the other day as I was ascending the motors died and the quad fell out of the sky. And the strange thing is that the motors only died for a split second, I was about 30 meters (100ft) above ground, and suddenly it got very quiet. I saw the Phantom fall just about a meter before the props started spinning again, but by that time it was too late - Newton and Murphy's conspiracy against me was already planned out, and the quad ended up in a tree top.

As far as the information I've gathered while doing some research on the web one of four possibilities might have happened:

1) CSC command. This scenario I find to be very unlikely. I'm a very cautious pilot, and I very rarely perform any sudden stick maneuvers with my RC. As far as I can remember I was still ascending as my motors cut off, and when I look at my log the left stick is pointing upwards and the right stick is pointing downwards just before the crash, as I was trying fly back away from the point of take-off to get some altitude and to get a good shot of a lake that I was standing by.

2) Bad wiring/faulty electronics. If my mind serves me right I've read about bad wiring in the prior versions of Phantoms which caused similar incidents, but I've never heard anything of sorts about the P3 yet. My P3P miraculously seems to be working fine despite the crash. I haven't flown it yet, but the motors are running and the gimbal seems completely intact. I will do a test flight somewhere safe as soon as I get a chance.

3) Power lines interfering with transmission. There were some power lines between myself and the quad when the motors stopped which I somehow manged to neglect when I took off. I know that power lines might cause the compass to freak out, but could it actually cause the motors to stop?

4) The P3P wasn't properly heated. The quad had been in the trunk of my car over night. Where I live the temperature is just a few degrees above freezing point this time of the year. I've also head stories about prior Phantom versions being flown in cold conditions resulting in problems. The status bar on my app stated that it was warmed up and ready to fly, so I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it either.

Any other takes any of you might have?

According to my log this was my 11th flight with my P3P, for whatever it's worth

Last edited:
Any other takes any of you might have?
As described it doesn't sound like 1,3 or 4.
Your Phantom has its own black box recorder that can probably shed some light on what happened.
Go to Tech Support | DJI and click on the blue Phantom 3 online tech support icon on the upper right of the screen.
Have a chat there and they should help you sort it out.
They'll want you to upload the data files from the Phantom.

Anyway you will attach the .txt file to a post in this thread from your device used(cellphone or tablet) during this flight?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav