CAN I FLY MY PHANTOM 3 STANDARD WITH JUST THE CONTROL

Reaction score
Can I fly my DJI Phantom 3 Standard with just the controller or do I have to link it to my tablet before I can do any thing.?? All the information seem to say you have to use a tablet or some type of cell phone to connet to your phanton before I can fly? I got my Phantom 3 standard a few days ago, ordered a DJI inspire 1 tablet mount , until it arrives can I fly or should I wait ?

Last edited:
You'll need to register your Phantom in DJI GO before you can fly. After that point, it would be possible to fly without a mobile device. It's not recommended though since you will not be able to see the valuable flight data in DJI GO.

Reactions: thefrisbee995
IMO it's a good idea to fly without the flight app for the first several flights. When I started, I flew with no app and went through this Phantom Pilot Training Guide which was in my box: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom-2-vision/en/Phantom_2_Vision_Pilot_Training_Guide_en.pdf

In this way you can concentrate on learning to fly and you will also force yourself to learn what the blinking lamps on the rear wings are telling you, which you will find handy later.

Be sure you have GPS before flight. Be sure to warm your battery before flight if flying in cold weather.

IMO it's a good idea to fly without the flight app for the first several flights. When I started, I flew with no app and went through this Phantom Pilot Training Guide which was in my box: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom-2-vision/en/Phantom_2_Vision_Pilot_Training_Guide_en.pdf

In this way you can concentrate on learning to fly and you will also force yourself to learn what the blinking lamps on the rear wings are telling you, which you will find handy later.

Be sure you have GPS before flight. Be sure to warm your battery before flight if flying in cold weather.
Mark The DroneMaster has a good point. Somewhere, sometime, when it will do the most damage, you will be flying happily along, look at your drone and look back down at your Android from **** and it will nonchalantly mention Ooops! " blah blah has stopped". Leaving you in just the scenario you asked about to begin with. If you have done it before, there is less a possibility of blind panic whisking your drone away.

If you phone/tablet is REALLY pissed at you it will not even give you the "...has stopped", but rather will have a black screen while it does the longest reboot ever recorded.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Mark The DroneMaster has a good point. Somewhere, sometime, when it will do the most damage, you will be flying happily along, look at your drone and look back down at your Android from **** and it will nonchalantly mention Ooops! " blah blah has stopped". Leaving you in just the scenario you asked about to begin with. If you have done it before, there is less a possibility of blind panic whisking your drone away.

If you phone/tablet is REALLY pissed at you it will not even give you the "...has stopped", but rather will have a black screen while it does the longest reboot ever recorded.
Or at least that is what mine does. :)

Fly a drone with just the controller, what are you thinking?
Dji didnt spend millions on software just so you could fly by looking at the drone and using that big grey mass in your head to work out what you need to twiddle to make it do certain things
You must be crazy

;-) ;-)

I am planning to fly my new P3S without smart device, (after activation, of course) and without camera, for the first few flights. I'm already a decent drone pilot, and sometimes I'm gonna just enjoy flying the thing around the field. Maybe set up an obstacle course.
And, do some photography flights. Then, let all the sensors, and GPS take over and make nice, smooth camera runs. I intend to do both kinds of flights.

How has millions of other drones flew before.. Oh yeah without the use of an app. Yes its good to fly without the app. If your app crashes just lay off the sticks the GPS still works, then relaunch the app.

There is lot of functionality that is ON the tablet, but NOT on the controller ... main one: no video recording controls, no auto take off nor landing. While it is certainly possible to maneuver thr drone with the 4 joysticks, it's a waste of features if you can't use the camera. After all, DJI no longer calls it a quadcopter, they call it a flying camera instead. And, how good a camera is if you can't see what the lens is seeing?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z