Can’t fix gimbal motor overload! Please help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my Phantom 3 Pro gimbal always ends up in awkward position when I turn on the drone. I have heard that many people got same problem and they fix it by adjust the halfmoon-shaped shaft on the back of the gimbal.
I tried but it still ends up in weird position. And when drone is flying forward, if I suddenly turn left or right; the gimbal will lean.
Please give me some advice! The camera is still working great, only the gimbal has issue, and I don’t want to replace the whole camera or bring it to my local repair shop who will charge $60-70 just for diagnostic! Thank you!

*UPDATE 1: An hour ago, I turned on the drone and suddenly its position was exactly in the center, no more lean! I took the drone out for a flight test and the gimbal was working perfectly. I could rotate it all the way by controller without it being shaking or leaning like before. However, when I turned it off and turned on again, it went back to that awkward position.
I manually re-center it and turned off then on again, and the position was perfect again. So I kept turning on/off and about 7 out of 10 times, it would go to the center as it should be. Still not 10/10, but fortunately , there was no more lean at all when it was flying.
I’m pretty sure my attempt to recenter the halfmoon-shaped shaft had partially fixed it. The next step I will try is to add the missing screw and probably replace the flex cable. I really hope I can totally fix it to the point that it will always center every time I turn it on. I will keep posting the update here, hopefully who had similar problem could find it hopeful.
*NEWEST UPDATE: I took it out again for a flight test and the gimbal started leaning again at strong wind! Very disappointed indeed. But at least I know this is repairable and no need to bring it to rip-off store. I will try with other solutions that I can find. Please feel free to give me advice! Thank you all!

F721724A-01DA-4793-BB8C-291E3A7F180B.png

9E64C6AB-C318-40A1-AA12-650364BBC665.jpeg

Last edited:
I have done all calibration, it still remains same position. I can manually re-center it, but when it is flying, it will go back to same position anytime. If I can’t fix it by my self, I will I have to bring it to rip-off local repair store or sell it for cheap, either is a big loss to me ?
Oh, also, I found a small nick on ribbon cable, but honestly I don’t think such a small nick can make the gimbal unstable like this

It doesn’t take much to damage a ribbon cable, especially if it is a aftermarket cable.
Without actually seeing what it does, I am just guessing.

*Update: I have found that ribbon cable is a bit damaged, and the cover on the back of the halfmoon-shaped shaft is missing 1 screw. Could one of these (or both) is the problem?
F147AE18-1F83-4521-A07E-7B16929A6C14.jpeg
C553511C-6B74-4269-BF91-9A153E6162E6.jpeg
CE01B465-AC03-4524-A73B-D86B96368EE4.jpeg
F147AE18-1F83-4521-A07E-7B16929A6C14.jpeg

Do you have a hobby shop in your area? Maybe a camera repair shop.its a really small diameter screw. If not, where are you located? I have a bunch of camera parts.

Reactions: agent020
Do you have a hobby shop in your area? Maybe a camera repair shop.its a really small diameter screw. If not, where are you located? I have a bunch of camera parts.
Thank you for your kindness, I live in Houston, Texas! I will bring it to local hobby shop, but I’m afraid that current position of the screws is already incorrect. I wish I could have another P3P in hand so that I can compare and find the exact same one.

If you cannot locate one let me know.
Thank you so much sir! Also, I have an update about the drone! An hour ago, I turned on the drone and suddenly its position was exactly in the center, no more lean! I took the drone out for a flight test and the gimbal was working perfectly. I could rotate it all the way by controller without it being shaking or leaning like before. However, when I turned it off and turned on again, it went back to that awkward position.
I manually re-center it and turned off then on again, and the position was perfect again. So I kept turning on/off and about 7 out of 10 times, it would go to the center as it should be. Still not 10/10, but fortunately , there was no more lean at all when it was flying.
I’m pretty sure my attempt to recenter the halfmoon-shaped shaft had partially fixed it. The next step I will try is to add the missing screw and probably replace the flex cable. I really hope I can totally fix it to the point that it will always center every time I turn it on. I will keep posting the update here, hopefully who had similar problem could find it hopeful.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
NEWEST UPDATE: I took it out again for a flight test and the gimbal started leaning again at strong wind! Very disappointed indeed. But at least I know this is repairable and no need to bring it to rip-off store. I will try with other solutions that I can find. Please feel free to give me advice! Thank you all!

I agree with @KachemakDiver the ribbon cable might be it. I vote for potentiometer though, to preserve healthy opposition :p.

Pots are easy to check - measure resistance on outer contacts, while slowly rotating it. If measured resistance does a quick sudden change at some point, the resistive path is broken.

Or if the resistance is above 20k all the time - then it's completely shattered inside.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.