camera dead and P3P turn off 10 second after switching off the battery

Reaction score
Today I had two normal short flights with my P3P. And then move (by car) few kilometers to the new position. I calibrated the compass. But the app said there is a strong interference and should be moved to other position. So I moved 20m away and try again to calibrate it. It was successful (at least I think so, because it was no longer any alerts).

Waiting for DJI GO app to confirm the connection. But there is just red "No Signal" alert. There is no image from the camera. But it seams that the craft is connected. I tried to turn the motors on, everything is working correctly. But no signal and no image. I haven't try to fly. Turning off the Phantom... and something strange happened: after switching the battery off, Phantom was still on for another 10 seconds?!?! Usually it's turned off in a second. But now 10 seconds during which the red circle battery led (on the battery switch) was slightly lighting, and other main lights on the craft was on (red and yellow).
Switching it on again and notice that camera and gimbal doesn't move at all. Not the starting dance nor anything else. Camera just hanging like the Phantom is completely off. Trying to move the camera by remote - nothing. All the time of course there is no image on the screen.

Tried another battery, another micro SD card (I read here that this helped to somebody), slightly pressing the flat connectors (they doesn't look disconnected), tried to relink it to the remote (with small reset switch on the craft). Nothing helped. Camera looks like it is completely dead. If I turn it on without remote on or without sd card in - it's the same. No starting or any gimbal movement.

I must say that this craft never has any collision or even hard lending (always catching by hand). In two months never had any issues, everything was working just fine until today (described above). Altogether about 50 battery cycles and 150 flights. Last firmware update 1.3.20 was about three weeks ago, everything was fine since then.

Please do you have any advice, or I should claim the DJI service? Thanks.

Last edited:
First.. why did you calibrate it when you got to the new location.. the first time? And what metal was around you when you calibrated it?

The plug issue that help the other person was likely related to the plug being removed and it cleaning the contact. Your ensuring it was seated doenst do that. Not that this is your issue. But his solution was not applied to your problem.

I always do calibration when I move few miles away. Shouldn't I? There was no visible metal object nearby. Building and a car, maybe a fence but all of that at least 10m away. I always take care that there is nothing metal 3-5m around. But even with shorter distances it was no problem before. I don't know, maybe some cables under the ground (under concrete), but no signs of it above.

There is no need, or documented benefit, in recalibrating ever within 100 miles. Continuous calibrations only lead to more potential for a bad calibration... as you got. What was the compass MOD value prior to calibration at the second site?

You mean when I moved 20m? It was Normal.
Do you think that compass calibration is somehow related to camera and gimbal malfunction?

I would check out the cables in more detail. I took the entire camera assembly off my phantom today while trying to fix another issue and I noticed with it off, the phantom does take 10 seconds to shut off after shutting off the battery.

That sounds significant. So, it is some cable unplugged or the the gimbal/camera are in such bad condition that they act like completely unplugged.
I tried to press or move this little cables just slightly and nothing happened. But they don't look unplugged or damaged in any way (drone never had any kind of collision and I always catch it by hand instead of landing). I know, cables doesn't have to look damaged but the Phantom is under warranty so I leave that to DJI representatives. I sent it to them today so I hope tomorrow I will know the cause. Hope it's just a cable.

Reactions: bobmyers
I got it back after 10 days. They completely replaced the gimbal/camera. And it works like before. Nobody knows the reason why that happened. But the guy from DJI representative told me they got returned a few Phantoms in the last few days with the same problem. I also heard from a friend that his P3 camera stopped working after upgrading to the new firmware. So maybe it is related to some conflict with 1.3.20 version. I upgraded mine three weeks prior this malfunction.

Reactions: bobmyers
I got it back after 10 days. They completely replaced the gimbal/camera. And it works like before. Nobody knows the reason why that happened. But the guy from DJI representative told me they got returned a few Phantoms in the last few days with the same problem. I also heard from a friend that his P3 camera stopped working after upgrading to the new firmware. So maybe it is related to some conflict with 1.3.20 version. I upgraded mine three weeks prior this malfunction.
Great to hear-- by reading your post-- I would have concluded the same-- doesn't just quit working after 50 flights with no crashes-- had to be something internal.:):):)

I think i'm having this same problem. I stay in south Africa, prolly means i'm gonna wait a while. I really hate firmware updates:(:(:(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj