Calling all iPad 2017-18 users (is it sun friendly?)

The CeeVisor is a lightweight sunshade and clipboard for the DJI controllers. The design is simple, foolproof, robust and it keeps the tablet much cooler than the traditional hood type sunshades. It clips on instantly, without any mods to the controller or tablet - no more fiddling with a hood. Google CeeVisor
View attachment 100169
Went to there website, but can't see where to order one. How does one buy one of these?

I flew with a 5th generation iPad for about a year. It was okay and dependable. In summer, it needed a sunshade but even then, it was hard to see the screen. I fly mostly construction inspections and there are always tree branches and power lines that were hard to see on the iPad. A month ago, I bought the CrystalSky 7.85" Ultra. It cost almost as much as the Phantom, but it is the best thing ever. 2000 nits. No need for a sunshade in full sunlight. Tree branches and power lines are easy to spot. It was expensive but worth it if it saves a crashed drone and the liability of a severed power line.

I had a mini 2, but couldn't see for toffee! Neither 2017-18 model has the anti glare, how you getting on regarding the sun? How you getting on with the DJI app? Any issues or anything to report? Debating whether to get the Mini 4 due to it's size and anti glare. But it's old now
Please, don’t even look at the mini 4 it’s dead at this point, can’t keep up with Go4. I have an iPad Pro 12.9” 2017, as beautiful as it is it flat out STINKS outside, it’s even horable in the shade. Good thing I didn’t get it with intent of flying with it. Have you given thought to the CrystalSky? The 7.85” is only $50 usd more than iPad Pro 10.5 and much better suited for flying. I’m using one as my primary display and in loving it. Had I not bought the iPad Pro I could have afforded the CrystalSky Ultra Bright.

I have the Hoodivison and LOVE it. Used it for years on my iPad mini 3& P3p and now with iPad 9.7 for the hoodivision
It’s cloth, lightweight and flexible for packing, but best of all is the design that you could copy in a DIY hood.
The important feature is that the top of the shade is angled slightly down rather than having all sides the same height.
By angling they top towards you a bit it forces you to lean the iPad away from you at an angle, therefore what the screen reflects it the black inside of the hood, not the sun bouncing off your light clothing.
Simple and brilliant.
Check it out.

I also added the “wings” which are internal supports that just Velcro in place to give the 2’sides a bit more Stiffness to hold the shape better.
Still allows you to fold The 2 sides in for packing in the case.

I make them out of what some people call Gator Board (held together with Velcro).
1: because it's cheaper, 2: because you can make them however you want IE length and taper...
Might look big and bulky but it's "very light weight"...
No pictures of the iPad (which is white on the outside) but here's the K1...

Geeez, had to go to FB to find and download these old pictures...

View attachment 100110

I wear light colored shirts when it's hot out (which reflects up onto the screen) so my shades all have removable bottoms on them.
Pictures were before I made a cut 5 1/2" up so only 5 1/2" of the bottom panel drops down (so you can tap on the screen to make changes)...
View attachment 100112

The way I sandwich the Table in here makes the box VERY sturdy with minimal amount of Velcro.
I used white Velcro because I though I was going to have to cover the outside White to reflect sun/heat but as it turns out the foam insulates so well that it wasn't necessary...
View attachment 100113

How do you deal with the VLOS requirement. Do you use a spotter? Do you have to repeatedly lift the box away to see the drone?

For less critical flying, a simple phone or tablet works fine even with some glare. If you really need more critical movement of the drone, such as capturing video, I strongly suggest the Epson BT-300. It costs more, but gives you clear VLOS and the drones camera view at the same time using augmented reality (vs. VR). You get absolutely no glare, excellent clarity, contrast, and color saturation.

How do you deal with the VLOS requirement. Do you use a spotter? Do you have to repeatedly lift the box away to see the drone?
VLOS doesn't mean you have to have eyes on it every moment.
Means it has to be visible with the naked eye, that you know WHERE it is, and ideally you watch it when you move any significant distance from last position.
Of course I shoot more stills than video.
If you are filming constantly it's helpful to have a spotter while you look at the screen.
Even without a shade you can't do both at once anyway.....

For less critical flying, a simple phone or tablet works fine even with some glare. If you really need more critical movement of the drone, such as capturing video, I strongly suggest the Epson BT-300. It costs more, but gives you clear VLOS and the drones camera view at the same time using augmented reality (vs. VR). You get absolutely no glare, excellent clarity, contrast, and color saturation.
^^^^^^^^^^ What Russ43Phantom said!~ I have a set of these with the Rochester Optical, Solitair Ace 2.0 Goggles to fit them in, and have never looked at my iPad or Android phone again! Here's the whole kit including the Epson's and The googles w/sades: Epson Moverio BT-300 FPV-VR Combo » Rochester Optical

Reactions: Ripper7620

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119