P4 Pro Camera Is Incredible - From a Professional Photographer

Reaction score
So today I upgraded from an Inspire 1 Pro to a P4 Pro. Yes you read that right, the 1" sensor in the P4 Pro blows away the Micro 4/3rds sensor in the I1 Pro's X5.

The good

1) Sensor size - DJI finally upped the sensor size for a Phantom family member to 1" and the improvement is nothing short of incredible. I posted over a year ago that the only thing that would make me buy another Phantom is if they improved the camera; which is why I sat out the P4.

2) Dynamic Range - This is more important to photographers and videographers than just about any other specification; somewhere I read it has between 11 and 11.5 stops of dynamic range, that's close to pro series DSLR capabilities! So of course I had to see it for myself, the attached photos show how incredible the dynamic range is on the P4 Pro.

3) H.265 Encoding - My #1 gripe for everything DJI creates has been their awful H.264 implementation. Most users mistakenly think that their footage does not look that great because DJI limited the bitrate to 60Mbs, the reality is; DJI's H.264 compression implementation is terrible. The bitrate is more than sufficient, but after they get done compressing it, there's so little clean data to work with that it is very hard to get professional results with the compressed footage. So when they introduced the H.265 codec I have high hopes that they also tweaked their H.264 algorithms. My DSLRs use the same codec and bitrate (or lower) and the footage is much cleaner. But more on H.265 in a minute.

4) Mechanical Shutter - This is huge; no more rolling shutter. The P4 Pro may be the only mass produced drone in the world right now with a mechanical shutter. It is mind blowing that they were able to keep the price so low, with a sensor size that large, and still throw in a mechanical shutter.

5) Adjustable Aperture - Finally...the ability to adjust the F stop to control the shutter speed. I know many photographers just use ND filters but I never have; you are risking burning out the camera servos due to the increased weight on the end of the camera (even a few oz could throw off the extremely delicate gimbal balance), and with an ND filter you cannot adjust the filter strength without landing and changing the filter.

6) Minimal Barrel Distortion - This blew me away, I thought sure that I would have to make my own lens profile to fix the barrel distortion until Adobe released one, but in my first few test shots I do not see any. Another incredible feat by DJI. I'm sure pixel peepers will be able to find some, but no end customer will be able to see it.

7) Battery life - The I1 Pro takes great pictures but has terrible battery life. Sometimes to frame that perfect shot or while waiting for that perfect shot I ran out of battery juice with the I1 Pro because it was just too short. Having a camera like this tied to a platform that can stay in the air more than 6 minutes will be a big improvement.

8) Resolution - Of course the increased resolution is nice but I care more about dynamic range than resolution. I would take a 5MP sensor over 20MP any day if the 5MP gave me 20 stops of DR.

The bad (so far after just one flight)

1) What used to be the shutter button is now I think the focus button. Very minor but I'm going to remap that button to being the shutter button.

2) H.265 - I learned the hard way that even though my NLE says it supports H.265 and my video card says it supports it as well; I was unable to edit or even play anything shot using the H.265 codec. Also it appears that YouTube does not support H.265 encoded video files. So tomorrow I will have to shoot my test footage using H.264 compression. I can only hope that DJI improved their H.264 codec while they were at it. I had planned on shooting everything in H.265 then transcoding the final product to H.264.

3) Sensors - This post is mainly focused on the camera and video capabilities but the P4 Pro seemed to have problems thinking something was in front of it and came to a screeching halt on the return trip to land. I'm hoping this will not become a major issue where the sensors "see" things that aren't there and impede flight progress. I'm not sure yet if it's possible since I have not been through the whole DJI App yet, but it would be nice to be able to turn off all of those sensors if desired.

Two Gotchas

* Autofocus - I have seen a lot of users complaining about blurry pictures and a lot of discussion around Autofocus. The reality is the "Pro" in it's name signifies this is not meant for the casual aerial enthusiast. If you want to leave everything on Auto and shoot everything in Infinity focus, then this is not the right model for you. For the I1 Pro I have always manually picked my focus point before pulling the trigger, and for video I always switch to continuous focus before recording. I then switch back to spot focus for photography; its the best way to get tack sharp pictures; even for landscapes.

* Shutter Speed - Remember folks, now that DJI has provided a way to change the Aperature you have to keep an eye on your shutter speed if you want sharp pictures. I tested this by shooting at F11 which resulted in 1/25 shutter speed; sure enough it looked sharp on my tablet and was blurry in post.

Sample Footage

I have attached two pictures showing how incredible the dynamic range is of this sensor. I shot right into the sun using all automatic settings (AWB, Auto Shutter, Auto Aperature, etc) then post processed the footage. The results blow away what I could have gotten with even the I1 Pro and come close to what my full frame DSLRs can do. Of course to get these types of results you will need to shoot RAW and post process. There was so much detail in the lows and even the highs had an impressive amount of recoverable data. I can only imagine what a 3-5 shot HDR bracket would do.

Attachments

• StraightOutofCamera.jpg
    StraightOutofCamera.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 1,852
  • PostProcessed.jpg
    PostProcessed.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 1,885
Last edited:
Yea..I don't think my laptop can handle h265, but it's nice to know that the p4p can still hang for a possible future upgrade. Coming from the p3p, the camera quality and the live feed was a major improvement. The battery is way better than my older p3p, or my p3p had some bad batteries :)

Your claims re the 1" sensor being superior to M43 (X5 camera) are interesting. The M43 sensor is almost 50% larger accross the diagonal than the 1" so to the extent this is true will prove short lived. Very unlikely the inspire two cameras would not be sighnificantly better (I think the X5 still would significantly outperform the 1" in noise and DR regardless of what the claims are),

Your mechanical shutter claim likely has no relevance to video shooting (the consensus is that the mechanical shutter is only used when shooting stills).

Reactions: chrislongley
For stills yes, video is crippled. H.365 banding, slog useless.........4K 60fps is a joke at 100mbs transfer rate. Side sensors not available in p mode, and it looks like there are a bunch of folks loosing connections with the tx.

So the 1" (16mm diagonal) outperforms the larger m43 sensor on noise and DR? That is remarkable. I need to have a closer look at the P4 pro.

Would love to hear your thoughts as a professional photographer on the below video from Raptorman0909:

In addition another member noted tested in Photoshop and above the rgb-value of 175 there are no details anymore. Equating to loosing a full stop of dynamic range.

The bad (so far after just one flight)
1) What used to be the shutter button is now I think the focus button. Very minor but I'm going to remap that button to being the shutter button.
It's still the shutter button - but it's a two-stage button.
A soft press does the focusing and the hard press will take the photo.

Your claims re the 1" sensor being superior to M43 (X5 camera) are interesting. The M43 sensor is almost 50% larger accross the diagonal than the 1" so to the extent this is true will prove short lived. Very unlikely the inspire two cameras would not be sighnificantly better (I think the X5 still would significantly outperform the 1" in noise and DR regardless of what the claims are),

Your mechanical shutter claim likely has no relevance to video shooting (the consensus is that the mechanical shutter is only used when shooting stills).

I have no doubt that the Inspire 2's camera will one up the Phantom Pro 4's camera, but it's incredible that the 1" sensor so far seems to have more DR and less noise than the I1's 4/3rds. This is only for photography, I have not gotten to test anything video yet since my first H.265 test ended in disaster.

I will need to read up some more on why the consensus is that the mechanical shutter is only for stills; DJI's own documentation states it was added to eliminate jello (DJI Phantom 4 Pro – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads) I have never gotten jello from any platform when shooting stills; only video.

Would love to hear your thoughts as a professional photographer on the below video from Raptorman0909:

In addition another member noted tested in Photoshop and above the rgb-value of 175 there are no details anymore. Equating to loosing a full stop of dynamic range.

It is disappointing that this is still a problem with the P4 Pro, in the video he basically said the same thing that I have already found out; DJI's H.264 compression implementation is terrible. I do not think it's the hardware. As he mentioned in the video, DJI seems to have in house developed their video compression standards and they result in terrible video footage, problems post processing, artifacts, pulsing, and other problems in the finished product. I had already discovered the same thing; at identical bitrates my DSLRs produce much cleaner footage using the same codec. This has been a problem with every DJI product I have owned. In all fairness, GoPro is just as bad or worse. I guess these companies do not want to pay licensing fees to Sony, Panasonic, Canon, or Nikon to properly compress their video footage and more than likely the typical user will not care or want to pay the extra cost that DJI would pass on to their customers for those fees.

I have seen the pulsing problem across all of their platforms as well, including the I1 Pro. I think the only DJI family member that will eliminate that will be the cameras that can shoot RAW; but unless you are working for Hollywood, the compressed versions even with all of their faults is probably good enough for your project.

So far I have never had a customer complain about the quality of the footage. No other platform comes close to offering the other features that DJI offers I just hope they get their compression act together.

It's still the shutter button - but it's a two-stage button.
A soft press does the focusing and the hard press will take the photo.

Ahh that makes sense, thanks Meta. I only have one battery so I was trying to test the whole setup before that one battery died. It would be nice if it beeped after it had locked focus like handhelds do; but maybe it does, I just have to get some more airtime to find little features like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTH
Well, I'm not a professional cameraman, but the new picture with my P4P+ is just remarkable. Even my wife commented on the difference, far and above the others I have. It's the contrast that really stands out, as well as the detail. I generally shoot in 2.7 k, BTW.

So today I upgraded from an Inspire 1 Pro to a P4 Pro. Yes you read that right, the 1" sensor in the P4 Pro blows away the Micro 4/3rds sensor in the I1 Pro's X5.

2) Dynamic Range - This is more important to photographers and videographers than just about any other specification; somewhere I read it has between 11 and 11.5 stops of dynamic range, that's close to pro series DSLR capabilities! So of course I had to see it for myself, the attached photos show how incredible the dynamic range is on the P4 Pro.

A quick search shows the Panasonic Micro 4/3 cameras/sensors have a 12.5 stop dynamic range. So I do not think the above statement is correct.

Reactions: johnmont250
A quick search shows the Panasonic Micro 4/3 cameras/sensors have a 12.5 stop dynamic range. So I do not think the above statement is correct.
I was comparing it to my I1 Pro's sensor, not a handheld. Even if the X5 uses a Panasonic sensor, what I was actually getting from the camera in post vs what I'm getting from the P4P was nowhere near the quality of the P4P. With that being said; I have no doubt that the I2's 4/3rds sensor will beat the quality of the P4P's footage. Not all 4/3rds sensors are created equal.

Everything looks great on paper, but what you can do with it in post is what really matters.

But it is great to see the Phantom line has evolved to producing acceptable footage (at least photography footage) for 99% of my aerial photography customers. The P3 and P4's sensors just weren't going to cut it.

I was comparing it to my I1 Pro's sensor, not a handheld. Even if the X5 uses a Panasonic sensor, what I was actually getting from the camera in post vs what I'm getting from the P4P was nowhere near the quality of the P4P. With that being said; I have no doubt that the I2's 4/3rds sensor will beat the quality of the P4P's footage. Not all 4/3rds sensors are created equal.

Everything looks great on paper, but what you can do with it in post is what really matters.

But it is great to see the Phantom line has evolved to producing acceptable footage (at least photography footage) for 99% of my aerial photography customers. The P3 and P4's sensors just weren't going to cut it.

I have never used the X5 camera but use m4/3 cameras all the time. Just to be clear I was not trying to knock the P4P at all. I will be ordering mine in the next couple weeks. I look forward to using it very much and the camera is what has pushed me to this.

Regarding h.265, have you tried writing to MKV container instead of MOV? I've read elsewhere that this was an issue.

i have a hard time believing the p4pro with a 1 inch sensor and fixed lens takes better pictures than a x5 with a mft sensor and far superior lenses. I own both the x5r and p4p

Reactions: chrislongley
The lens of the P4P is not that good.. Ugly flares, pretty soft at the edges.
The Dynamic range is nevertheless pretty good

Thanks for this review. My P4P arrives in a couple of days and the more I read about it the better it sounds. As a landscape photographer your review carries a lot more weight for me than others I have read, though they are all helpful in one way or another.

I have no doubt that the Inspire 2's camera will one up the Phantom Pro 4's camera, but it's incredible that the 1" sensor so far seems to have more DR and less noise than the I1's 4/3rds. This is only for photography, I have not gotten to test anything video yet since my first H.265 test ended in disaster.

I will need to read up some more on why the consensus is that the mechanical shutter is only for stills; DJI's own documentation states it was added to eliminate jello (DJI Phantom 4 Pro – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads) I have never gotten jello from any platform when shooting stills; only video.

It is disappointing that this is still a problem with the P4 Pro, in the video he basically said the same thing that I have already found out; DJI's H.264 compression implementation is terrible. I do not think it's the hardware. As he mentioned in the video, DJI seems to have in house developed their video compression standards and they result in terrible video footage, problems post processing, artifacts, pulsing, and other problems in the finished product. I had already discovered the same thing; at identical bitrates my DSLRs produce much cleaner footage using the same codec. This has been a problem with every DJI product I have owned. In all fairness, GoPro is just as bad or worse. I guess these companies do not want to pay licensing fees to Sony, Panasonic, Canon, or Nikon to properly compress their video footage and more than likely the typical user will not care or want to pay the extra cost that DJI would pass on to their customers for those fees.

I have seen the pulsing problem across all of their platforms as well, including the I1 Pro. I think the only DJI family member that will eliminate that will be the cameras that can shoot RAW; but unless you are working for Hollywood, the compressed versions even with all of their faults is probably good enough for your project.

So far I have never had a customer complain about the quality of the footage. No other platform comes close to offering the other features that DJI offers I just hope they get their compression act together.

Ahh that makes sense, thanks Meta. I only have one battery so I was trying to test the whole setup before that one battery died. It would be nice if it beeped after it had locked focus like handhelds do; but maybe it does, I just have to get some more airtime to find little features like that.

I see we've had similar experience and a similar thought as to the problems with DJI image processing. It is disappointing that they are still producing camera firmware that has artifacts not present in cameras by the major Japanese companies. I don't know that DJI is cooking there own code but it sure feels that way.

That said, my last two videos on the P4P offer some hope, I think, that even with the problems good video is still possible.

It's my impression that the flickering problem is at its worst if the video is highly compressed (DR) as happens with D-Log. Since the flickering is most noticeable in shadow detail and D-Log requires high levels of contrast stretching the effect appears to be magnified with D-Log. So, even if D-Log were not broken as far as detail loss and poor compression methods the amplifying effect of high levels of contrast stretching make the flickering effect much worse with D-Log. At present I'm leaning towards D-Cinelike with -1/0/-1 to -2/0/-2. In both cases I have contrast at zero because I don't trust DJI to do contrast properly.

Brian

Myself, I am most impressed with how the p4p handles extreme contrast. I shot some very demanding scenes today (from a dynamic range and high frequency motion perspective) and the only scene (below) where I got visible banding / blocks from the h265 encoding, before toning, was the darker parts of the second scene.

This quick edit is nowhere near neutral, but gives a indication how the material holds together after considerable adjustments; a working log profile would make this much more forgiving (especially for the shadows) so I am hoping for a quick resoultion from dji here.

Some notes here, i used the none-profile with a -1 sharpness setting (this helped some issues with banding due to somewhat reduced high-frequency information hogging all the bandwidth) and I think a -2 might be even better. We do see some flares, but with a unobstructed sun directly on the glass, I cannot see how this is avoidable, so I think the lense is excellent (given the price).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub