Calling all iPad 2017-18 users (is it sun friendly?)

Reaction score
I had a mini 2, but couldn't see for toffee! Neither 2017-18 model has the anti glare, how you getting on regarding the sun? How you getting on with the DJI app? Any issues or anything to report? Debating whether to get the Mini 4 due to it's size and anti glare. But it's old now

Probably not the answer your looking for...
I have new iPad Pro 10.5 and Love it BUT,
I personally won't fly without a Sunshade (even if the screen isn't glossy) because I feel the need to 'always' see a sharp and clear (no reflections) screen/image...
I have forgotten to take the shades with me a couple of times and can say that I could see the K1 and iPad OK (they are both bright) but IMO there's nothing like having/seeing a crystal clear ZERO reflections screen...

Probably not the answer your looking for...
I have new iPad Pro 10.5 and Love it BUT,
I personally won't fly without a Sunshade (even if the screen isn't glossy) because I feel the need to 'always' see a sharp and clear (no reflections) screen/image...
I have forgotten to take the shades with me a couple of times and can say that I could see the K1 and iPad OK (they are both bright) but IMO there's nothing like having/seeing a crystal clear ZERO reflections screen...

Yes that helps, I think both are very simular in “nitts”. Where did you get your sun shade from?

Yes that helps, I think both are very simular in “nitts”. Where did you get your sun shade from?

I make them out of what some people call Gator Board (held together with Velcro).
1: because it's cheaper, 2: because you can make them however you want IE length and taper...
Might look big and bulky but it's "very light weight"...
No pictures of the iPad (which is white on the outside) but here's the K1...

Geeez, had to go to FB to find and download these old pictures...

Sunshield-K1-1.jpg

I wear light colored shirts when it's hot out (which reflects up onto the screen) so my shades all have removable bottoms on them.
Pictures were before I made a cut 5 1/2" up so only 5 1/2" of the bottom panel drops down (so you can tap on the screen to make changes)...
Sunshield-K1-2.jpg

The way I sandwich the Table in here makes the box VERY sturdy with minimal amount of Velcro.
I used white Velcro because I though I was going to have to cover the outside White to reflect sun/heat but as it turns out the foam insulates so well that it wasn't necessary...
Sunshield-K1-0.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 10.5” iPad Pro as well. It replaced an Air 2 and is definitely brighter. I rarely fly with the sun directly overhead, so I can usually find an area of shade to stand in or use myself to shade the tablet. I never use an attachable sunshade but can certainly understand their value. Also, during times when it’s hard to see the downlink image with full clarity, I have learned to totally trust the histogram. It’s a great tool. My real reason for buying the 10.5” Pro was to have one device to fly with, edit 4K video, and upload to Google Drive or YouTube. It does it all very well IMO.

Reactions: KCadby and Mr Wings
I have the 10.5” iPad Pro as well. It replaced an Air 2 and is definitely brighter. I rarely fly with the sun directly overhead, so I can usually find an area of shade to stand in or use myself to shade the tablet. I never use an attachable sunshade but can certainly understand their value. Also, during times when it’s hard to see the downlink image with full clarity, I have learned to totally trust the histogram. It’s a great tool. My real reason for buying the 10.5” Pro was to have one device to fly with, edit 4K video, and upload to Google Drive or YouTube. It does it all very well IMO.

I would love the Pro but it’s very expensive. It’s a lovely bit of kit isn’t it. It’s a good point actually about flying with sun over head

I’m in Arizona. The struggle with the heat and sunlight is very real here.

I fly with an iPad mini 4 most of the time, mostly because I have an x-naut active cooler for it. It keeps the iPad from overheating when flying between May and September, and any time I’m going to be standing in direct sunlight. The anti-glare on the iPad mini 4 seems about useless to me at most times of day. I’m using the Hoodman HAV1 hood, which barely gets around the iPad when installed in the x-naut cooler, but works quite well.

That said, I’ve picked up an iPad Pro 10.5, and LOVE the larger display. It does appear to be brighter than my mini 4 is, but the glare is an issue. It also has shown a tendency to overheat much quicker than my mini 4 when the screen brightness is turned all the way to max. I haven’t purchased an x-naut for the iPad Pro, but I think before next summer that’s going to need to happen. AFAIK they aren’t making one for it quite yet.

Reactions: Mr Wings and KCadby
I would love the Pro but it’s very expensive. It’s a lovely bit of kit isn’t it. It’s a good point actually about flying with sun over head

I added the pictures of sunshade above and adding that for best lite I fly with the sun high often plus I also fly in places (like Ocean Inlets) that have NO shade = I really do need the sunshade...

Also adding that I had to really stretch my wallet to get the Pro 10.5 (to the point that mine is WiFi only) but it's worth every penny IMO for how sharp, clear and Fast it is.
So for the first few months I had to make sure I cached the maps before going out to fly but I just recently got a new phone and plan with Boost that includes 20Gb of Hot Spot Data. It works GREAT, just used it yesterday when I changed my mind on where I wanted to fly. Had no map when I got there so simply connected with phone to cach the map where I was...

It's pretty bad in the sun. I find shade, or have an assistant stand beside with an umbrella.

/iPad 2017 9.7 inch

Well I got it and using it as we speak. I’m sure it’ll do the job and be able to run DJI go for a few more years. Going to order a anti glare screen so I will let you guys know what it’s like when I fit it. Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Well I got it and using it as we speak. I’m sure it’ll do the job and be able to run DJI go for a few more years. Going to order a anti glare screen so I will let you guys know what it’s like when I fit it. Thanks for the info, much appreciated

I believe you will love it and yes please let us know if/how you like the screen cover...
Another thing that sold me on it (nothing to do with flying) is I can use it on the starting line to video "fast dragbikes" launching in slow motion to help set up chassis/suspension and clutches (without having to transfer video from small screen phone or camera to computer) = why my signature says Smooth but Massive HP is what I'm about ;)

I believe you will love it and yes please let us know if/how you like the screen cover...
Another thing that sold me on it (nothing to do with flying) is I can use it on the starting line to video "fast dragbikes" launching in slow motion to help set up chassis/suspension and clutches (without having to transfer video from small screen phone or camera to computer) = why my signature says Smooth but Massive HP is what I'm about ;)

Speaking of video, I see a few videos on YouTube about processing 4K videos. It’s actually quite a powerful unit, obviously not compared to the Pro, but it’s half the price

The Hoodman sun shade is the best solution I’ve been able to find for the iPad 10.5” Pro.

Last edited:
Hoodman looks good, how long does it take to setup?

Paul C

The CeeVisor is a lightweight sunshade and clipboard for the DJI controllers. The design is simple, foolproof, robust and it keeps the tablet much cooler than the traditional hood type sunshades. It clips on instantly, without any mods to the controller or tablet - no more fiddling with a hood. Google CeeVisor
CeeVisor card front .jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1