Phantom 2 FPV thoughts from a newby

I just sent this Teslar on the same subject.

I've seen the thread about using the LCD bac-pac and the handshake. I do have an older LCD bac-pac and tried it and it still doesn't work. But I'm not about to spend $79 bucks for new touch screen bac-pac just to use the 30 pin connector. It's not a big deal whether to modify the gimbal or not the ribbon works fine and you still have to use the mounting bracket or rubber band to hold the camera.I've seen the thread about using the LCD bac-pac and the handshake. I do have an older LCD bac-pac and tried it and it still doesn't work. But I'm not about to spend $79 bucks for new touch screen bac-pac just to use the 30 pin connector. It's not a big deal whether to modify the gimbal or not the ribbon works fine and you still have to use the mounting bracket or rubber band to hold the camera.

In other words not going to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I didn't have to do anything with it straight out of the box it worked bought it right before christmas

I didn't have to do anything with it straight out of the box it worked bought it right before christmas

Are you saying that you have to turn on the camera before connecting to the gimbal. Or were you talking about the Hero 3 in post #20?

Are you saying that you have to turn on the camera before connecting to the gimbal. Or were you talking about the Hero 3 in post #20?
To clear up confusion I bought the hero 4 black just before christmas. Curious about how it worked with the h3-d3 i turned it on and connected it with the 30 pin connector mod. Fpv worked instantly but after about 30 seconds shut off. I found that when you start recording, the fpv is maintained throughout the recording. No mods were done to the 30 pin or the gopro and no software updates were done to the gopro. I tested this out of the new box.

To clear up confusion I bought the hero 4 black just before christmas. Curious about how it worked with the h3-d3 i turned it on and connected it with the 30 pin connector mod. Fpv worked instantly but after about 30 seconds shut off. I found that when you start recording, the fpv is maintained throughout the recording. No mods were done to the 30 pin or the gopro and no software updates were done to the gopro. I tested this out of the new box.

Then basicly that is the same work around everyone who updated their hero 3+ had to do by starting the recording before plugging in the USB cable. Is that what you'r saying? In other words you start recording before turning on the P2. Is that correct??

Then basicly that is the same work around everyone who updated their hero 3+ had to do by starting the recording before plugging in the USB cable. Is that what you'r saying? In other words you start recording before turning on the P2. Is that correct??

Yes. I set my Hero 3+ Black to start recording with "One Button" so that when power is turned on from the P2 battery, I'm recording.

Nope p2 is fully running ready for takeoff i just hit record and it works

Reactions: iowahill
Yes. I set my Hero 3+ Black to start recording with "One Button" so that when power is turned on from the P2 battery, I'm recording.

I know that about the updated firmware problem with hero 3+ silver/black. Have you tried to rollback the firmware to an earlier version? It does work.

Nope p2 is fully running ready for takeoff i just hit record and it works

Then this statement is not clear please clarify

" Curious about how it worked with the h3-d3 i turned it on and connected it with the 30 pin connector mod. Fpv worked instantly but after about 30 seconds shut off. I found that when you start recording, the fpv is maintained throughout the recording.".

I know that about the updated firmware problem with hero 3+ silver/black. Have you tried to rollback the firmware to an earlier version? It does work.
I've just always ran the latest software with expected results, so never had a need to go back.

I've just always ran the latest software with expected results, so never had a need to go back.

But by rolling back to v02 you don't have to use the work around.and there wasn't that much new with v03.

But by rolling back to v02 you don't have to use the work around.and there wasn't that much new with v03.

Thanks Jason, but I guess I missed the "workaround" issue. I installed the aftermarket 30-pin GoPro Bus connector on my H34D Zenmuse in order to use my Hero3+ Black because my camera (bought "refurbished") had/has a broken USB connector. The 30-pin Hero Bus mod kit which I bought off of eBay for about $15 works like a charm, AND... I don't have to use the GoPro battery. Since just about all my flights are less than 20 minutes (plus or minus), my setup has done everything I could expect. I bought the LCD camera back just so that I could review footage, and to use for other applications other than FPV. I should add that I also bought a very clever nylon camera clip for the Zenmuse/ GoPro 3 combo that eliminates the need for the two screws that normally are used for the stock original. Your input is always appreciated and helpful!

Thanks Jason, but I guess I missed the "workaround" issue. I installed the aftermarket 30-pin GoPro Bus connector on my H34D Zenmuse in order to use my Hero3+ Black because my camera (bought "refurbished") had/has a broken USB connector. The 30-pin Hero Bus mod kit which I bought off of eBay for about $15 works like a charm, AND... I don't have to use the GoPro battery. Since just about all my flights are less than 20 minutes (plus or minus), my setup has done everything I could expect. I bought the LCD camera back just so that I could review footage, and to use for other applications other than FPV. I should add that I also bought a very clever nylon camera clip for the Zenmuse/ GoPro 3 combo that eliminates the need for the two screws that normally are used for the stock original. Your input is always appreciated and helpful!

Are you sure you are are using v03 on you camera? the way to check which version you are using just turn the camera and the very bottom of the front LCD display it will say either v02 or v03. Would you mind checking I have both the 3+ silver & black and both work on the 30 pin connector and they both on v02

Are you sure you are are using v03 on you camera? the way to check which version you are using just turn the camera and the very bottom of the front LCD display it will say either v02 or v03. Would you mind checking I have both the 3+ silver & black and both work on the 30 pin connector and they both on v02

It reads V03.03 Jason. And works as advertised with the Zenmuse GoPro 3 bus mod.

See when I bought the H3-3D I didn't bother to change from the ribbon to the 30 pin connector because i was going to pick up hero 4 blk At the time when DJI introduced v2 of the H3-3D gimbal hero 4 wouldn't work with the 30 pin.so I decided to leave it as is. Never had a problem with the ribbon and I use all three of my GP cameras for other purposes so i am constantly taking them of the P2. So for me switching from the ribbon would only be be for convenience and nothing else..

See when I bought the H3-3D I didn't bother to change from the ribbon to the 30 pin connector because i was going to pick up hero 4 blk At the time when DJI introduced v2 of the H3-3D gimbal hero 4 wouldn't work with the 30 pin.so I decided to leave it as is. Never had a problem with the ribbon and I use all three of my GP cameras for other purposes so i am constantly taking them of the P2. So for me switching from the ribbon would only be be for convenience and nothing else..

Well, that explains our different experiences then. I'm using the Hero bus, you're using the USB port. One day I might decide to replace the main board of my H3+ Black (about $115) when I change the stock Hero lens with Peau lens. Not to intentionally hijack my own thread thread, but thinking about the Peau 2.4mm lens for linearity, but see you're using the 5.4mm.

Well, that explains our different experiences then. I'm using the Hero bus, you're using the USB port. One day I might decide to replace the main board of my H3+ Black (about $115) when I change the stock Hero lens with Peau lens. Not to intentionally hijack my own thread thread, but thinking about the Peau 2.4mm lens for linearity, but see you're using the 5.4mm.

Yes I am and love it. Spent Christmas morning driving around downtown Detroit with hero 4 attached to outside windshield taping 720p @120fps. But I really wanted to shoot at 240fps but at that frame rate you can only use narrow and at 120 I had a choice of three settings and I used the wide. Footage is great and sharp. Could have shot it in 4K wide @30fps and could have shot at 120fps in 1080p but didn't think of it.

Yes I am and love it. Spent Christmas morning driving around downtown Detroit with hero 4 attached to outside windshield taping 720p @120fps. But I really wanted to shoot at 240fps but at that frame rate you can only use narrow and at 120 I had a choice of three settings and I used the wide. Footage is great and sharp. Could have shot it in 4K wide @30fps and could have shot at 120fps in 1080p but didn't think of it.

Feeding my own thread hijack (again!). A fellow who shoots commercial architectural video in San Francisco with his P2, zenmuse, and H3+ Black uses the Peau 2.4mm lens and shoots video at 2.7k @ 30 fps, but your choice of the 5.4 mm makes me wonder. As one who is an admitted knuckle dragger with photography,and so much more, I confess to much ignorance.. Two former wives will attest to that! I

I'm using my P2 and associative accessories for aerial surveys and mapping on my 80 acre mining operation, as well as other recreational flights. The stock Hero lens distortion isn't especially bad, but the more I look at previous video, the more i wish for better linearity.

Okay, I promise not to take this off-topic much further. Sorry if anyone has been offended!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj