P4 Pro Camera Is Incredible - From a Professional Photographer

None of that you've stated above and why idea I would expect FF SLR quality from it ?
OK, maybe you expect something better than the P4P but less than a FF SLR, I dunno, you didn't say. But there are always some number of quirks in any photographic gear built to a relatively low price point and I wish they weren't there just like everyone else, but the P4P is the best thing going for the money and if not good enough then the only real option is to pay for something better.

In the case of the barrel distortion, look at the focal length, size and weight constraints, cost, and number of elements in the lens. Of course it is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
The whole point of the auto crop is to remove barrel distortion and vignette. I have not heard of anyone complaining of either. Have you seen what it looks like without the auto corrections?

The whole point of the auto crop is to remove barrel distortion and vignette. I have not heard of anyone complaining of either. Have you seen what it looks like without the auto corrections?
You did not ? Oh... well there is bunch of posts from people complaining on dji forum, FB about it... hard to miss it ;)
And yes I saw what they are without the process as all my DNGs are without it...

Its a disappointment to me because its adding few extra steps to my process, to correct it manually in RT and I didnt had this with P4

You did not ? Oh... well there is bunch of posts from people complaining on dji forum, FB about it... hard to miss it ;)
And yes I saw what they are without the process as all my DNGs are without it...

Its a disappointment to me because its adding few extra steps to my process, to correct it manually in RT and I didnt had this with P4

So you're simultaneously complaining that DJI's auto corrections are ruining your post-process workflow AND that your photos don't have DJI's auto corrections. Clear as mud.

Reactions: Meta4 and RonHarper
Different sensor size and different lens system than P4. You may not have had as much barrel distortion in the P4 but you also didn't have as much resolution, dynamic range, sensitivity, etc. either. Probably a worthwhile trade.

I'm not trying to minimize your concern but I kinda forced myself to accept this stuff long ago. In this price range (as Rosanne Rosannadanna says) 'it's always something' and if I have to correct some noise or chromatic aberration or lens distortion or whatever in post then I just do it, otherwise you can lose your mind worrying about it. Spending $10k instead of $1k for equipment also helps, but... naw...

Reactions: AyeYo
Im not complaining about nothing and definitely not simultaneously :D
With P4 I had one type of DNG... whatever I opened the file with, it was the same.
Here I have two... with corrections on one software, and without on other, that's adding an extra steps to my process and thats why Im a bit disappointed.

I know you are happy and good for you, Im not and just shared my opinion. You cant accept it ...move along, or its too muddy ? ;)

Different sensor size and different lens system than P4. You may not have had as much barrel distortion in the P4 but you also didn't have as much resolution, dynamic range, sensitivity, etc. either. Probably a worthwhile trade.

I'm not trying to minimize your concern but I kinda forced myself to accept this stuff long ago. In this price range as Rosanne Rosannadanna says 'it's always something' and if I have to correct some noise or chromatic aberration or lens distortion or whatever in post then I just do it, otherwise you can lose your mind worrying about it. Spending $10k instead of $1k also helps, but... naw...
Thank you... Yeah,you're right, that will be the best thing to do I guess. Its just something that I wanted to share and the hell was unleashed :D Well...kinda ;P

Yeah, I didn not but why assume straight away that Im expecting exceptional SLR quality from a camera thats the same size as 2 matchboxes ( roughly ) :)
The one thing that Im disappointed is that original image from the sensor is cropped and then stretched to 20Mpix again ( or whatever DJI implemented as a process in that camera ).
They actually added a few extra steps to my post-process as my DNG files had barrel distortion and dark corners that I have to deal with afterwards.
DJI made the effort to produce great pictures with the P4pro camera and your complaint is that you don't like the results when you act to remove the built-in correction.
There are pixel peepers and then there are people that create memorable images.

That's a beautiful shot. Can you tell us what the ISO, shutter speed and aperture were when you shot that? I'm particularly interested in the f stop used as it corresponds to the sharpness of that lens.
The lens is pretty good at whatever aperture you use.
It's not like there's a magic setting combination and everything else will give less quality.
That shot was at 100 ISO f5.5 and aperture priority to give auto shutter.

DJI made the effort to produce great pictures with the P4pro camera and your complaint is that you don't like the results when you act to remove the built-in correction.
There are pixel peepers and then there are people that create memorable images.
You're totally missing the point, but you make me giggle a bit... ;)

Because there's nothing wise to say
Complain all you like about stuff that's under the hood and invisible to most other users but the P4 pro camera is a huge breakthrough in aerial imaging.
So a few sad sacks get their kicks from winging about inconsequential minutiae but the vast majority are getting great results, that's how things go these days.
If the P4 pro is so far below your high standards you can always save up to get some heavy lifting equipment and fly a camera that's worthy of your efforts.
For now the P4 pro is the best available at a price I'm willing to pay and mine does a great job.

Im wonder why some of you are so frustrated when I said Im disappointed with this corrections on the P4P camera?
I didn't said the camera is bad and some of you have stroke when I wrote Im disappointed . Is it a Fanboy page or a forum ?
I can get really great results from it ( for what it is ) but just shared why it makes me unhappy to work with this sensor-lens-processing combo.

Im working with many different cameras now and in the past and for aerial shots I was happy with P4, I tried to pull whatever I could from this setup but when I moved to P4P the crop and processing is a disappointment for me. Even that the sensor and lens are much better from the one on P4.

Did I offend anyone when I shared my opinion ? ( if so... well, tough luck,sounds like personal issue ) but it shouldn't happen.
I thought we can share here our thoughts and experience and few reacted with exaggerated outcome.

smiller showed a bit of understanding here and I appreciate that, but it should be a rarity.
Peace

Criox thanks for the additional info on the barrel distortion "issue". I believe that i will have to take note of it also since p4 and p3p camera system are alike. Since you have p4 and p4p. Can i ask looking at both 100% at finer detail at sunset shots, is the lense at p4p have the resolution to cater for 1" sensor? I just don't want to pay additional/upgrade becoz of lower noise and higher MP (I am fine with 12mp). I just want finer detail, becoz even edit sometimes the p3p turns grass or sometimes human into "watercolor".

Criox thanks for the additional info on the barrel distortion "issue". I believe that i will have to take note of it also since p4 and p3p camera system are alike. Since you have p4 and p4p. Can i ask looking at both 100% at finer detail at sunset shots, is the lense at p4p have the resolution to cater for 1" sensor? I just don't want to pay additional/upgrade becoz of lower noise and higher MP (I am fine with 12mp). I just want finer detail, becoz even edit sometimes the p3p turns grass or sometimes human into "watercolor".
Allen .. unless you use the particular program that Criox does to remove the corrections , you won't see any distortion.
The P4 pro is a HUGE improvement photographically beyond the camera used in the P3/P4.
You've already seen images that show the quality of the lens.
The sensor is more than 4 times the size of the one in the P3 camera.
i-xBHHp2n-M.jpg

Rather than getting too concerned about what one user says on page 6 of this thread, go back and read what a lot of other users also had to say on the previous pages.

If you are happy with what you get from the P3 and don't feel any need for something better, save your money.

always looking for second opinion. i am using P3P DNG files also. I shot in JPG+Raw. Happy with P3P, well i am always looking for improvement, now is it worth the value to purchase it. BTW, i am a competitor photographers aka contest photographers but new in drone photography as want to expand or play something new. Sometimes we have good camera body but a melon lense but the question is it worth buying a better and more expensive lense. sometimes yes and sometimes no.

always looking for second opinion. i am using P3P DNG files also. I shot in JPG+Raw. Happy with P3P, well i am always looking for improvement, now is it worth the value to purchase it. BTW, i am a competitor photographers aka contest photographers but new in drone photography as want to expand or play something new. Sometimes we have good camera body but a melon lense but the question is it worth buying a better and more expensive lense. sometimes yes and sometimes no.
Allen ... try this thread for some answers to your questions: DJI Phantom 4 Pro image versus Canon 5DIII w/ 16-35 f/4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic